Finding The Best Sounding Genesis (Part II), Album By Album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

We're over 1,000 posts!

Coming soon . (NOW! - stereoptic).. Part II. :D

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Don't forget the German V/C. :D

3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Trying to tie up a loose end. :) The general consensus seems to be the V/C and U.S. Zal for Live. And I remember that Dr M preferred the Nimbus V/C.

But I think it was LesPaul66 who had a Sanyo Japan V/C. That's also what showed up at my door when I got one. So, just curious what people think. :)

EAC numbers too:

U.S. Zal: 82.8 % 88.9 % 100.0 % 94.2 % 94.4 %

http://download.yousendit.com/3CA0A086397AD111

V/C Sanyo Japan: 100.0 % 100.0 % 91.3 % 86.5 % 99.7 %

http://download.yousendit.com/2A60036E49F3BCAF

4. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Wow, the entire tracks?

Well, I listened to them but nothing has changed for me. As I have said, Zal's is excellent, but the Virgin/Charisma is king to my ears. Zal's might match the vinyl, knowing a bit about how he tended to do things. Perhaps he used a US LP for comparison and added subtle EQ?

5. kevin5brown

"Wow, the entire tracks?"

I had the time. :) I *did* pick the shortest one!

I have to admit, and I can't even explain why, but I swing towards the V/C too. I'd be curious if someone could compare this V/C to the Nimbus.

6. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

My question may have already been covered somewhere amongst these thousand-plus posts, but has it ever been determined who mastered the original Atco fatboy Lamb??

I picked up the DE remaster during the Tower out of business sale at a discounted rate. I'm going to listen to them both right now but interestingly enough the original Atco gets the nod for better packaging. All those weird and cool black and white graphics on the lyric sheets have been omitted on the remaster :(

7. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Just received my 1991 Japanese V/C edition of Foxtrot. Looking forward to some quiet time this weekend to give it a spin and compare it to my Canadian "off the shelf" copy. It's in mint condition and 100 percent genuine (something that's not always guaranteed these days unfortunately).

8. Jeff Carney

Check the credits, Zal's name should be in there, iirc.

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

10. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Well my searching around has been fun. Still have a couple more I'd like to get, but here it is so far. I won't be home for another 3 weeks, but if anyone wants some clips posted around then, let me know.

I know Raf has found some interesting things out from comparing some of the 32VD's to the VC/Nimbus discs already.

Trespass : VC CASCD 1020 and MCA MCAD 1653
    *** looking for 32VD-1025 (hard to find)
    Nursery Cryme : 32VD-1026 and VC CASCD 1052
    Foxtrot : 32VD-1027
    Selling England : 32VD-1029
    Lamb : VC CGSCD-1 and DE
    Trick Of The Tail : ATCO 38101-2 and VC CDSCD 4001
    *** looking for 32VD-1032 (hard to find)
    Wind And Wuthering : VC CDSCD 4005
    *** looking for 32VD-1033 (hard to find)
    And Then There Were Three : 32VD-1015
    Duke : 32VD-1036
    Genesis : Atlantic 80116-2 Japan for US
    Invisible Touch : 32VD-1023

The doubles above are waiting for me to shoot out as a couple I have not heard yet. This thread has been a fantastic source of info on these genesis discs and I have been very happy with the choices thus far.

Still interested in hearing more about that 1991 Japan VC Foxtrot you got John (vinyl diehard).

Over 1000 posts, this should be moving to Part 2 soon :)

11. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Going back to the old Atlantic CD of Abacab:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3014469&postcount=59

So, anyone want to re-evaluate how this compares to the V/C now?

12. Jeff Carney

If we can ever find one of Barry's masterings that was issued by Atlantic, this would be possible, but so far no evidence exists that his work was utilized.

13. Great Deceiver

Jeff: yes all the ones he mastered in which ultimately Nick Davis's Deluxe Editions were used for in 1994, those masterings did not come out. However, the original Atlantics of A Trick of the Tail, Duke, and now Three Sides Live and Abacab seem to be his mastering.

Also from my above quote, you can see it seems he mastered Abacab twice: once at Atlantic and once when his versions should have been used as the Deluxe Editions. And Duke and 3SL were from his Atlantic days too.

14. Jeff Carney

Personally, I am unconvinced that he did Trick, but it appears it is possible.

We know he did probably 3SL because it's in the credits.

I am unaware of any conclusive evidence that points to any mastering released on Atlantic that can be verified to be his work, but this thread is long, so...

As far as Duke, I wouldn't doubt it, because that mastering changed somewhare along the way from the early Atlantic discs that were pressed in Japan to the WEA pressed US release.

15. Jeff Carney

Btw, folks, here is the rare blueface WG Charisma pressing of Trick. Not sure if we have the EAC log for this already, but here it is, plus a sample:

Track 1
    Filename C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\My Music\Track01.wav

Peak level 97.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC C5EA4151
    Copy OK

Track 2
    Filename C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\My Music\Track02.wav

Peak level 78.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 6FC0E178
    Copy OK

Track 3
    Filename C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\My Music\Track03.wav

Peak level 89.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC A4B1331D
    Copy OK

Track 4
    Filename C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\My Music\Track04.wav

Peak level 95.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC B45D9046
    Copy OK

Track 5
    Filename C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\My Music\Track05.wav

Peak level 90.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 03E50C06
    Copy OK

Track 6
    Filename C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\My Music\Track06.wav

Peak level 86.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 284DF689
    Copy OK

Track 7
    Filename C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\My Music\Track07.wav

Peak level 90.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 6D879C39
    Copy OK

Track 8
    Filename C:\Documents and Settings\1\My Documents\My Music\Track08.wav

Peak level 96.6 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 3C28C03A
    Copy OK

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B9606A5F08B2A60E

16. kevin5brown

I have both the U.S. WEA Abacab and the V/C (not Swindon though, I think it's a PDO). I think I remember that Barry's CDs have a specific peak value, although that's no guarentee he actually did the mastering. I'll try to get clips up later. :thumbsup:

Maybe this thread will keep going. I remember something about Steve asking whether he should open up old archived threads again, which might mean that new/current threads even when they reach the 1000-ish posts will stay alive.

17. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Is this the WG blueface with silver hub and "814 499-2 01" in the matrix? If so, I've found it, like my other WG blueface, (Duke) to be inferior to other versions.

I'm wondering if there's more than one WG blueface (would anyone be surprised?)

18. Jeff Carney

Yes, that is the one. In a quick A/B with the UK Nimbus V/C, I was hard pressed to be sure there was a difference, but I'd need to really listen to both of them for a bit longer to know for sure.

19. kevin5brown

20. Jeff Carney

I can't listen to the samples right now but my EMI Swindon V/C beats the Atlantic and WG Target. Iirc, the Atlantic/Target are the same mastering.

Anyway, the V/C I have has less top end. It sounds magical.

21. Great Deceiver

I listened to these samples, but I don't have a good sounding setup right now (or for the near future) but it seemed like both were no slouch, maybe the V/C had an edge on the clarity on the keyboards and better bass definition.

Jeff: good point about the Atlantics and Barry's work

22. Jamie Tate

Thanks for posting those. They're really very similar but the V/C has a bit more clarity, which I like.

One thing, the polarity on the V/C is flipped. The attacks of the drums are negative waveforms.

alx7 likes this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No, the V/C's phase is correct, Jamie, everyone knows Phil Collins sucks!! ;)

(Only joking, folks, before anyone gets their knickers in a knot!)

Just to shake things up, here's the EAC levels to a US JVC Abacab:

100.0 % - 100.0 % - 95.1 % - 96.3 % - 100.0 % - 97.8 % - 69.8 % - 100.0 % - 100.0 %

Can't recall whether we determined that this is a normalized version of the WEA, or not.

24. kevin5brown

OK, I'm going to ask a question that I think I know the answer is here somewhere.

When you look at the EAC numbers, it does seem as if some of the tracks have been normalized for the US WEA. All the pegged 95.5% values, whereas the values for the V/C are ... free to float to their natural value. :)

I remember that there is one other CD like this. Duke maybe? But the Duke US WEA still gets the nod over the V/C?

25. Jamie Tate

Which album are you asking about? Abacab?

The French Duke V/C is the same as the US CD with a few level changes and L/R correction. The problem with the V/C was one song was brought up about 3dB louder than the others even though it was supposed to be softer. It changed the dynamics of the album since the quiet song was now loud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.