Dire Straits Alchemy WG Target Mastering

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shakey, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shakey

Shakey New Member Thread Starter

I have done a search and find nothing on this subject.
    I was wondering about how any of you think about this one.
    I find it sounds fine but is mastered at such a low level I need to adjust my Volume a lot to even get this to sound loud. I have two separate gain controls for left and right which I have to boost to get this to a level of my average CDs.
    I mean I hear some complain about being too loud but this one seems to me to be almost too quiet.
    Am I wrong?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Shakey,

It is mastered quiet! So is the same era Vertigo as they are from the same glass master. This was a quiet recording on CD to begin with. It's also mastered at a low level on vinyl on Vertigo. The new remaster is at higher level.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I do like the sound of the Vertigo issue, and all West German Polygram product from the era in general. But I never heard any of the other pressings from WB in the US, etc.

This was a $50 or $60 import back in the day, so it must be the best sounding one ever. :D

4. As Kent said, the WEA Target for US and Vertigo are the same discs - just different label and inserts - same matricies. Same production run at PolyGram W. Germany.

MAtricies are the Vertigo cat nos.

5. Shakey

Shakey New Member Thread Starter

Geez, this one fell down the list quick.
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this one.

6. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

Does anyone know how the Mercury (UK) remaster of Alchemy sounds? This was the only one of the Dire Straits remasters that Warner didn't pick up for the US. I don't mind the old WB disc (actually, it's still the current one), but there's a slight high-pitched whine (almost like a tv monitor sound) that runs through it. Can't remember if that was on the vinyl or not...

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

To reduce that sound, reduce to taste at 15,750 Hz. That is TV Monitor whistle and proof you have good hearing if you can hear it. I haven't heard the UK Vertigo remaster yet. Would like to.

8. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

It's the only Dire Straits album that I don't have in my collection (Well, next to that BBC record that I still need to find somewhere - it's been some time since I've seen a copy, I hope it's not OOP).
    I'm planning to pick Alchemy up soon. I suppose that remaster is the only version that's readily available right now. I wasn't disappointed with other DS remasters (although I still prefer the originals), so I might give it a try next week and give you my comments.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Didn't see anyone mention this album on their "other live albums" lists either.

10. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, Kent. (My dog thanks you also :p )

11. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Forum Resident

I have a Warner pressing and it states "1984" on CD and on the back cover.
    Here's pic of CD1:

[​IMG]

Any idea if it's the first pressing? And how does it sound in comparison to Vertigo/WG

12. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Hi,

as announced earlier in this thread, I picked up the 1996 Alchemy remaster - the EU (German) Vertigo pressing. It was a good deal (€ 9,99, which is about $ 11,50, I guess). First thing that struck me was the packaging. It came in a 2 cd slimcase, unlike the original version, which had the discs in two separate jewel cases that were placed in a cardboard box. - I noticed that the same thing happened to PF's Pulse double album as well. No box, no flickering lights - just the two discs in a slimcase. Seems like more and more CD's are losing the extras that originally came with them, just like LP's did in an earlier stage.

The music itself sounds good. It's definitely a few steps up in volume, but it's not maximized/compressed and (as far as I can tell) not no-noised. In fact, it received the same treatment as the other Dire Straits remasters by Bob Ludwig. I have all the original studio albums and a few of the remastered versions.

Most of the original discs are remarkably quiet, althoug very good sounding. I played the original Vertigo s/t recently - you really can crank this one up without losing any detail.
    On the remasters, the volume is raised significantly, but the music still has got enough room to breathe. I think Bob Ludwig did a good job.

BTW. I didn't notice anything like that high-pitched whine that Buzzz is referring to. But I know that my hearing isn't as good as it used to me, so it just might be me. I might try headphones, but I'm not sure if that helps in my case.

13. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Forum Resident

there is also Vertigo Original 1984 pressing..

[​IMG]

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I just gave the remaster a listen tonight and it is a little on the bright side methinks.

15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Certainly not a first pressing if it has an RE-1 in the matrix.

16. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Listened to my red swirl germany CD's today. The whistle like noise is clearly audible, and sometimes it actually sounds a bit like "static", it has a gargle effect to it...

Anyway, the quality of the music surpasses all other problems, and the overall sound is quite good :)

By the way... does this CD edition have Pre-Emphasis? My CD player usually makes a little "pop" immediately before it starts playing track 1 on a pre-emphasis flagged CD, like if it detects the pre-emphasis and needs to make a change in the output circuitry route... The Alchemy CD's I played today cause this "pop" sound.

17. SergioRZ

I just checked with EAC, and yes it is detected with pre-emphasis. Do all early-press non-remastered CD's of Alchemy have pre-emphasis? Does the "target" version have it? Or the original US?

Thanks! :righton:

18. swoosh

swoosh Member

This recording isnt great sounding to start with. I am not pleased with the targets i have.

19. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

7 years later...

Yes, my US WB (25085-2.1 / 25102(3)-2) has pre-emphasis.

j7n and jfeldt like this.
  20. SergioRZ

Finally man, I was sitting here waiting for that answer... I can now go on to enjoy life :D :D :D heehehheehhehe :)

Thanks ;)

j7n and d.s.l. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.