The Who "Who's For Tennis" 1968 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tages, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tages

tages Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm trying to compile a list of songs that were intended for the abandoned 1968 Who album. I have read that it would have kicked off with "Glow Girl". Does anyone have any more info on this? There were obviously a few singles released that year but I'm sure they would not have been included on the album of the time. Am I missing out anything here?
    Glow Girl
    Little Billy
    Fortune Teller
    Call Me Lightning
    I Always Say
    Magic Bus
    Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde
    Melancholia
    Dogs
    Faith In Something Bigger

And what about "Politician" and "Goin' Fishin'"? Are these from this period? Did The Who record them? Anyone know?

2. tages

Anyone??

3. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Who's For Tennis never got much pasted the talking stage. Included would likely have been some or all songs recorded at Advision Studios in May 1968 in addition to some of the above:

Melancholia
    Fortune Teller
    Magic Bus (also recorded at IBC)
    Now I'm a Farmer
    Shakin All Over
    Joys (tape box listing)
    Facts of Life (tape box listing)

TheOx

4. jcjc

jcjc New Member

WOW

I never heard of the Tennis album plans. However I noticed there were a lot of good tracks from 68 I made up my own mock 68 album.my version

1-magic bus
    2-dogs
    3-Faith in something bigger
    4-Dr Jekyll
    5-Fortune teller
    6-Accidents
    7-Cant fight lightening
    8-Little Billy
    9-Glow girl
    10-Dogs part two
    11-Young man blues(studio)
    12-Melancholia

I have also considered Goin Fishin and Politician. But I dont have exact dates on those. What would be fantastic would be to get hold of Now I'm a Farmer from 68 the odds and sods version is clearly too new and modern to use.

I have compiled several extra Who albums this way for instance--Join Together--Long live Rock --pure and easy--theres a whole lot of 71-73 stuff theres tons of stuff message me I'll go through it with you sometime---------one caveat I think Accidents may not be from 68 but its close

5. WizardGlik

WizardGlik New Member

WHAT? :eek:

I have never heard of these two songs, where'd you hear them?

6. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Cant fight lightening is an official B side from 68 I think---Accidents is a townshend demo from roughly 68 it might be 67 or 69 I'm not sure. Its like one of those Townshend scoop tracks how those things get on the internet i dont know I have several of those I think maybe Townshend himself released those on his website some time ago. There is one called languages by Townshend I am still searching for.

If somebody knows about Now I'm A Farmer from 68 I wish they would message me with the info.

7. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

"Accidents" was written by Pete for Thunderclap Newman's Hollywood Dream album. There is a PT demo for it on the Genuine PT Scoop boot. I don't know about the other song.

TheOx

8. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I think you're referring to "Call Me Lightning" there! :D

"Accidents" is a demo of a Speedy Keene song for the Thunderclap Newman album.

I too would love any info regarding the '68 version of "Farmer"... I was under the impression that it was written then but not recorded at the time.

9. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

You mean Call Me Lightning, US/UK single '68 (A and B-side respectively). :)

The Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere book says the band recorded a backing track for Now I'm A Farmer at Advision Studios in May '68 (page 142).

TheOx

10. jcjc

jcjc New Member

I stand sheepish and corrected "Call Me Lightning" it is !

Our friend the OX I think said on a thread or this thread that there was a 68 version of "Farmer" listed.

Anyway there is quite enough for a real good "68" Album! I call my version Magic Bus cause I'm always a rollover for a hit!

Once I started doing this I did the whole Who Discography they have about ten studio albums I ended up with 20!

11. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Interesting. Do you have any other details about those two?

12. Chris M

Those 2 are from the Tommy sessions so I would think they wouldn't have been part of Tennis. Pete originally had Young Man Blues as part of the Tommy story..

13. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Youre right about Dogs pt2 but Young man Blues (studio version) was done in 68 so I put it with 68

14. Chris M

I'm right about both of them. Young Man Blues was recorded during the Tommy sessions which started on the 19th of September 1968 at IBC. Dogs pt. 2 was recorded there as well. Most of Tommy was recorded in late 1968.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Interesting thread. I never heard of a Tennis album. I know the Lifehouse album turned into Who's Next.

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I've heard of this album being planned but have never seen a definitive track listing. Undoubtedly some of the songs on the box set were meant for it.

Evan

17. TheOx

TheOx Forum Resident

Again just listed as tape box listing in the AAA book (highly recommended). They could be nothing or just titles of other known songs.

Yes, both Young Man Blues and Dogs Pt2 were recorded during the Tommy sessions late in '68. YMB was slated to be part of Tommy and was in several potential track listings of the album. You can see them in the Tommy CDROM (remember those?). :)

TheOx

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

let me know when you have the official finished lineup of songs, I'd like to make my own copy off of your list. I never heard of this album, would've been really cool.
    Also, titling it "Magic Bus" would be a head spinner for those of us in America who already had an album by that title.

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I would disagree and would use the Who's For Tennis title(awful though it is).

One could easily make an album out of all the stray 1968 cuts that have been released.

Evan

20. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

:laugh:

21. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Well whatever. Young man Blues and Dogs pt 2 were originally intended forTommy but they didint end up there. So when compiling a 68 mock album of the WHO using stray tracks from 68 I use them because its too short otherwise

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

One could start off the album with Dogs and end it with Dogs Part II!

Evan

23. jcjc

jcjc New Member

Has a 68 version of "Now I'm a Farmer" ever circulated or been heard ?

24. Chris M

I don't think Dogs pt. II was intended for Tommy. It was just recorded during those sessions as a potential b-side.

25. tages

Has anyone heard this version of "Shakin' All Over"? I would love to know more about "Joys" and "Facts Of Life". Never knew there was an earlier version of "Farmer",either. Has anyone heard "Do You Want Kids, Kids"? And I'm still dying to know when "Goin' Fishin'" and "Politician" were recorded! My copy of "Accidents" is just a Speedy Keane demo done at Pete's house - is there another version (besides the LP and single ones)? Thanks everyone for all the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.