Paul McCartney to play "Carnival Of Light"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Studio_Two, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is an interview with sir Paul in this week's Radio Times (UK) to promote his concert appearance on the BBC's Electric Proms.

Since show is held at The Roundhouse Theatre, the interviewer suggested that he played "Carnival Of Light" as his pre-show music.

Paul replies:
    "That's a good idea. That IS a good idea, actually. I haven't got a clue what I'm going to be doing yet, but I'll probably come up with some hairbrained schemes. One of which the Radio Times has now just given me."

Stephen

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Good, then we can all hear it and stop worrying about it. Didn't George Martin pretty much dismiss this thing? Isn't it just a bunch of noise?

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Historic I guess, but it ain't Hey Jude!

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Still, one of the last couple of unheard Beatles tracks to surface!

5. peerke

peerke Senior Member

I'll believe it when I see, er, hear it!

6. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident Thread Starter

7. edmund_k

edmund_k occasionally worth reading

I wonder if he's finally finished the Beatles photomovie to accompany it?

Not that I expect Apple to release it this side of the next ice age.

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It was a bit of music created for an event for a specific audience on a specific date and a specific time. Gone into the ether forever as it was meant to be. Tap into the cosmic unconsciusness and you'll hear it. Just MO

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

OK, but we can't record it on a CD, can we? :p

10. I really hope he plays it.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I hope too, even if I won't be there to hear it.
    That would really be an event for the obsessive Beatles fan (should I say geek?).

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

13. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

What event was "Carnival Of Light" originally used for?

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

From the Wikipedia link provided by Studio_Two:

History

The genesis of the track came in December 1966 from designer David Vaughan (part of the designer trio Binder, Edwards & Vaughan), who had recently painted a psychedelic design on a piano owned by Paul McCartney. About the same time as he delivered the piano to Paul’s Cavendish Avenue address he asked if he would contribute a musical piece for the upcoming The Million Volt Light and Sound Rave. To Vaughan’s surprise Paul agreed to make a contribution.

The Million Volt Light and Sound Rave (which is sometimes referred to as The Carnival of Light Rave) was an art festival which was organised by Binder, Edwards & Vaughan as a showcase for electronic music and light shows. It was held at the Chalk Farm Road Roundhouse Theatre and featured on the bill not only a public playing of 'Carnival of Light' but performances by Unit Delta Plus, whose members included early electronic music pioneers Delia Derbyshire and Brian Hodgson from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and fellow electronic artist Peter Zinovieff.

15. arnt

arnt Forum Resident

That's a relevant remark. Some years ago Macca indeed did promise us a photomovie for it, made of photo's by Linda. Didn't he make such a movie about another group?

16. jcjc

jcjc New Member

George Martin also

Sir George also thought originally that PAUl had a good Voice but Johns wasn't so hot. So he isin't infallable. I don't like Revolution #9 or You Know my name or Whats The New Mary Jane either but you know with carnival of light we could then have

THE BEATLES---Abstact-in stores now!

The good news is if he plays it at the event somebody will probably record it and we will finally get to hear it !

Plastic Beatle was pretty good until it started hurting my head!

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Never heard this. Martin always had good things to say about John's voice.

18. peerke

peerke Senior Member

Wasn't that about who would be used as the face of the group: like Cliff and the Shadows. That kind of thing. I don't remember a quote about John's voice.

19. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

...Including that "he missed his voice so much" (quoting from Summer of Love - the making of Sgt. Pepper's).

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

John is considered to be one of the greatest rock and roll singers ever. If Sir George said he didn't like his voice, I missed it.

21. Macca

Macca R'kid

Could it perhaps be the Magical Mystery Tour piano?

22. jcjc

jcjc New Member

I'm talking about Matin's initial assesment at the audition for Parlaphone and Martin hearing the initial demo tape from Decca. Clearly Martin changed his mind I believe I might have read that in Martins book "ALL YOU NEED IS EARS"

I'm a giant Sir George fan. But sometimes even Hero's aren't perfect. I shudder to think if say Shel Talmy or somebody else had been their producer HE was a perfect fit. Chemistry Chemistry

23. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I've never heard it but it's been described as similar to Frank Zappa's Return Of The Monster Magnet on Freak Out. FWIW the recording does have drums, 2 tracks of organ and guitar. Here's the track layout..

Track 1: drums, organ
    Track 2: distorted lead guitar, "church" organ
    Track 3: "church" organ, various effects (sounds of gargling water), vocals
    Track 4: "various indescribable sound effects", tamborine

I'm curious as to how the guitar and organ sound more than anything.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, there WAS a rumor that he was making another Firman record. How about "Carival" samples, ala "Liverpool Sound Collage", with some 'rump-rattleing BEATS', so it's not just a bunch of noise! The Residents did something like this a couple of years ago. The took some the their 'music' from 1971; real silly and amature, 'sampled' it, and added beats, and it was GREAT! It's called WB:RMX, and I love it. He should do that!

25. The original, and not Richard Thompson's Elizabethan cover, eh? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.