Are The DC5 Playing Live In This Video?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuestionMark?, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X9YgK12c01E

I can't tell if they are playing live or if it was one of those pre-recorded sessions. The lack of a microphone near Mike Smith makes me think it was pre-recorded. What do you think?

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I know of no TV appearance on which the DC5 played live. As you observe, the lack of a mike for Mike here is somewhat telling. The only thing live is the screaming.

3. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

The sound is dreadfull enough to be live

There are so many cables on the studio floor that they all could be on RCA BK6B's hidden in their outfits

The drums sound live to me

Why do you care ???

Roger imho

4. QuestionMark?

I was going to post a video of the DC5 on the fake bands thread going on as a somewhat joke, but when I hit this on YouTube I couldn't believe it. I thought I found the first live performance by the DC5 I had ever seen. Upon closer inspection though, it didn't seem live. Dave starts drumming a little late at the begining and the absence of mikes is a little suspisous. I was just looking for some other opinions.

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

There's a clip of the DC5 doing "Glad All Over" on The Ed Sullivan Show that seems live. The drums sure are live, the most badly tuned drums you've ever heard.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Youtube has always had very minor sync issues with most music clips. Keep that in mind.

Some of the feedback on the youtube clips seem to say that DC5 used tapes at live shows. I know of other teen heart-throbs of that era that mimed concerts, but it's the first I've heard of DC5 or any rock band from the 60's.

In another thread here, someone said there is only 1 DC5 live tape, which is horrendous quality.

SA

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Doesn't sound live to me. At the end of every verse, you can hear Dave hit the drums accidentally--that's the only thing that's live. Those cables on the floor are fake just like those huge amps behind the band.

8. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Nope its not live.
    They are preforming to a pre-recorded track,
    but its not the released take used on record.

A lot of 1960's TV shows had the acts pre-record
    the audio and fake to it on the live broadcast.

Sometimes just the backing track was recorded,
    while the vocals were done live.

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I wonder who played drums on the pre-recorded track!

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Look again - there are microphones for everyone.

Dave clearly has one, Rick and Denis are sharing one and Mike and Lenny have one each. On the long shot you can see the base for each stand clearly and on the close up for Lenny and Mike you can actually see Lenny's mic just under the timecode. The close ups on the others are just too tight and miss the mics.

Sounds live to me.......

11. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Yes its live

The video quality matches the performance!

Mal has done a good forensic job spotting the mics through the murk

Must be all those cold nights staring at the Universe.

Roger .imho

12. QuestionMark?

I thought I saw a mic in front of Lenny, but it seemed to far away from either him or Mike to be useful. The vocals are very loud for the mics being where they are placed. If it is a real performance, it's nice to see the DC5 really playing their instruments live. If it is a fake performance, they really did a great job of making it look real.

13. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

If it's live, how come the drum sound during the verses doesn't match the sound of the drums when the band stops playing at the end of the verse and you can hear Clark hit his drum and cymbal.
    Just because you see microphones doesn't mean it's live. When Britney lip-syncs, she uses a mike too.

14. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Its live 'cos it sounds so bad

You do not mime to an inferior track

I think the aim was the mix to be smothered in screams

Which it is

There could be a backing track in there but vocals and the drum flubs are live

Ps you don't need to be on top of a mic to get plenty of level out

Roger imho

15. Brother Shinola

Brother Shinola New Member

Surprising that after all these years, and all these members and member's friends, that nobody's ever said they saw them live....scratch that....in person. For that matter, did they even tour in the states. Heck, did they tour in the UK?

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

IIRC, all acts appearing on the Ed Sullivan show played live up to some point.....maybe the Mamas & Papas were first to lip-sych there?

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

No way the vocals are live. As for the instruments, see previous thread!

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

There have been several people on this board who said they saw the DC5 in person...and in the States.

Some have said they sounded fine; others have said they couldn't really tell for all of the screaming.

Dave Clark has said that they spent at least two years as a professional band, playing for demanding audiences (including, as I recall, U.S. servicemen's clubs) several days a week before they ever made a record. Seems to me you wouldn't continue to be able to get that kind of work if you sucked live.

19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

At least one Mamas and Papas appearance I recall seeing on Ed Sullivan had them singing live over a pre-recorded backing.

20. QuestionMark?

Steve Hoffman said that he saw them live and they were playing their own instruments, so I gotta believe they could play. The lack of live video performances is very strange though. I believe that Dave was good enough at a lot of stuff, enough to stage this performance to look live, maybe on the heals of the Beatles 'Ready Steady, Go' fake live performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.