Contemporary Records "Art Pepper + Eleven": Which is BEST VERSION?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

It seems audiophiles have a generous amount of options for digital versions of this title: OJC, MOFI silver, SACD, Analogue Productions gold, 20-bit, etc.

I bought the MOFI years ago. Are any of the other options definitely worth an upgrade? (apart from not having the bonus tracks)

2. the Hoffman 45rpm is as close to hearing them in the studio as you are going to get....in other words, THE BEST

IMHO of course

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Order of (digital) preferences:
    SACD
    APO gold
    XRCD
    20-bit remaster
    Earlier OJC version
    The SACD is significantly superior to all of them IMHO.

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

:righton:

5. Claude

Claude Senior Member

This is one of the few great sounding SACDs mastered by Fantasy.

I've had the K2 20bit before, it's good but inferior to the SACD.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There is only ONE version that actually sounds like the session masters. The MOFI version on silver CD (or the ancient JVC).

The OJC is reverb drenched dreadful and the rest have varying degrees of weird problems and echo on them.

If you are in to analog, get the 45 RPM version that I did with Kevin Gray; it's the first vinyl ever cut from the ORIGINAL session tapes.

7. william shears

william shears Senior Member

What tape was the original Contemporary vinyl cut from Steve?

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mobile Fidelity MFCD 805.

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have both the 45rpm and the original old stereo pressing. Sound quite different.

10. Steve Hoffman

The stereo original, with extra echo plate, 2:1 compression, hard filtering at 10k and 70 cycles, slight boost at 5k, Westrex/Scully System..

If you're asking about the mono, it's slightly different in mastering style; more 5k...

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The SACD is very nice. :righton:

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

I'm not into vinyl, but one of these days...When I eventually move back to the States I plan to get a turntable soon. But here in Korea, all my vinyl purchases would have to be international orders.

I still got a slew of LPs at my parents' house. I gave up my turntable years ago and never looked back....until I found this forum.

13. william shears

william shears Senior Member

I've got an original US mono. I've always liked it but I'm afraid to admit it's the only version I've ever heard

:hide:

14. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

What about the original Analogue Productions lp? The OJC lp? What does one find on those?

15. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

The MOFI silver is so fine...great room sound. :thumbsup:

16. GGA

GGA New Member

OK I just ordered this. Look forward to it.

What would be the best version of Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section?

It would be outstanding if Steve could post what other originals had such severe compromises. Think I'd end up replacing more originals!

17. does the SACD have the reverb? SH's post above suggests that it might!

18. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

I'd say the XRCD (VICJ-61039)....but then again, I've always been fond of the Lee Morgan 'Leeway' JRVG (TOCJ-9065) that most folks seem to gag over. :D
    [​IMG]

19. bw

bw Forum Resident

Based on forum opinion I picked this up on SACD. I love it, but I've never heard any other version. The only thing I have to compare it to is the Fantasy Best of Art Pepper that came out in 2004, which I also think sounds really good. However on the tracks that are on both, the SACD has an almost ... not sure how to describe it ... almost dry sound. To me it sounds like the horns are in the room wiht you.

In my opinion, its a killer SACD.

20. blue

blue Mastering rules

Steve, do you mean the original first pressing of "..and eleven" had all this echo, filtering etc.?

Maybe I misunderstood...but I'd be interested in the special (in this case) or maybe general technical differences between Contemporary Stereo originals and you 45RPM issues, thanks!

21. Steve Hoffman

Yes it did. Standard record making of the time. The process happened to all records from that era and much later. The difference between Contemporary/Good Time Jazz studio recordings and other recordings from other companies in that era is that the Melrose stuff did NOT add echo during recording but during the lacquer cutting mastering process. The echo level was not "locked in" that way. Nice for us.

Only the first six months of stereo recording at Melrose used the echo chamber printed live right to tape (and not too much, thank goodness.) After the middle of 1957 Roy DuNann and Howard Holzer decided to leave the echo off the session tapes (perhaps following Capitol Records' lead)..

22. blue

blue Mastering rules

That's so interesting, that I'd like to open a thread like "originals vs. reissues" if I was sure, that there are not 5 others like this...

So does this really generally mean, the Contemporary staff adding echo after recording were even the good guys, while (all?) others even eq'ed, echoed, limited or compressed (or all at once) their first issues? Is this really true for let's say Columbia 6eyes, Riverside, Verve, Blue Note and all the labels in the 50s-60s era? If yes, can you give an overview who tweaked what and by which reissue companies this was tried to be corrected (I know this question might be too demanding ;-)?

This would mean that with Contemporary there's the only chance to completely "correct" the final vinyl product, while in all other cases the tape is already tweaked and can only be retweaked again...

It would also imply that most originals are clearly worse sounding or let's say "less untweaked" sounding than reissues.

I'd really be thankful for a clarification :confused:

To tell an example of my impressions comparing original first pressings to high quality audiophile reissues:

In some cases the reissues are clearly better
    In some cases the reissues just sound more extended top and bottom, but lack the atmosphere immediacy and pace of the originals. Then they sound as you described in another thread about Neumann microphones "unnaturally extended" while the bass boost leads to less pace and the overall tonality towards loudness or as you say doublesmiley.

I would wonder if this impression would really be based on a complete misinterpretation of in reality dynamically and tonally limited originals.

Do you i.e. have a personal technical and/or listening experience information comparing "Way out West" and "Sounds unheard of" as Stereo version first pressings to the Analogue Productions reissues? Or i.e. the Armstrong/Ellington Great Reunion original vs. Classic Records?

Thanx for your fantastic forum answering questions like these!

23. blue

blue Mastering rules

Let me extend one more thing regarding the reissue quality not always leading to overall better results:

...or is it possible that there are also some uninteded negative influences introduced by the remastering processes, maybe even digital remasterings within the otherwise analog processes?

I anyway wondered if the tweaking that's done for the (only speaking of HQ) reissues can be done all analog!?

24. blue

blue Mastering rules

...or is it just the age of the mastertapes that also has some impact on being used 50-60 years later now?

25. Steve Hoffman

On a Van Gelder tape (for example), the compression, echo and EQ are right on the tape as the music is being recorded. No chance for future corrections. Now, the Van Gelder Sound is neat but for me and my reissues of the RVG stuff they are pretty locked in to whatever sound he decided on that day... Such is life. What Van Gelder did (in HIS disk mastering) was to add MORE compression and filter the top and bottom, leaving the midrange sound that many people like on the old Blue Notes. The actual sound of the tapes is quite different (as you can hear on the current 45's that I'm working on).

All records before the 1990's were compressed, EQ'd, filtered, etc. when cutting. Some of the stuff NEEDED these things and some didn't. It was done to keep the old tonearms on the groove. A lot of collectors LOVE this old sound. I do as well but sometimes what is on the master tape is SO MUCH BETTER that I want you to hear it like the day it was recorded. This is what I did with ART PEPPER + 11 and most everything else I remaster with Kevin Gray for vinyl.

Contemporary/Good Time Jazz master tapes are really the only stereo masters I've come across with NO reverb on them. There is instruction on the tape boxes for adding the reverb during cutting. As tastes changed over the years one can see the "cross outs" on the tape boxes as the echo "level" instructions increase and then decrease to a whisper....

Make sense?

As to what other engineers do to make their reissues I won't comment on..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.