Iron and Wine - The Shepherd's Dog *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JasonK, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonK

JasonK Active Member Thread Starter

iron-and-wine.jpg I just got this on vinyl, really nice album! It has elements of The Clientele, moody, nice harmonies and softly delivered vocals but with more of a Psych edge. Very textured, very eclectic instrumentation; Banjo, bass harmonica, accordion as well as all the usual suspects. Allmusic loved it, as did the N.Y. Times and others. I'm a tough sell, I probably return over 50% of the new music I buy but I'm definitely keeping this one. I know some of you really like the Clientele, I think you'll really dig this as well!

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oh thanks for the tip. I love the Clientele and I'm an Iron and Wine fan and I had no idea they had a new cd out yet.....

i'm buying it now.

3. woody

woody Forum Resident

it's good and the lp sounds beautiful but it kind of washes over me. sounds a lot like califone, whom i have an lp or two and also find myself not listening to a whole lot. i'll probably warm up to it over the cold winter months to come, though.

4. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Does it sound like The Association? :laugh: :laugh:

5. woody

woody Forum Resident

i never quite got that comparison either.

and for what it's worth i don't think The Shepherd's Dog sounds much like the clientele, but it is worth checking out. it will probably be on a lot of critic's end of year lists.

6. DJ WILBUR

highlights from the Pitchfork review...

For an Iron & Wine album, The Shepherd's Dog is so varied that it takes several listens for everything to fully sink in, but the individual details-- such as the dramatic steel guitar at the end of "Love Song of the Buzzard" or the cascade of banjo in the middle of "Innocent Bones"-- are nearly as rewarding as the overall sound of the album. The sequencing is also well-considered, setting contrasting songs against each other and ending on the stunning and starkly emotional "Flightless Bird, American Mouth". The vocal harmony as it rises into the chorus is shiver-inducing, and the song finally delivers the sense of resolution that much of the album purposely holds back.

The Shepherd's Dog is Iron & Wine's most diverse and progressive album yet, a deft transition to a very different sound that explores new territory while preserving the best aspects of Beam's earlier recordings. It's the kind of record that just keeps pulling you back with its dreamlike flow and attention to detail: The first time I listened to it, I played it straight though again when it ended, and I can't think of a higher compliment than that.

-Joe Tangari, September 25, 2007

7. woody

woody Forum Resident

8. DJ WILBUR

thanks woody for pointing out the my space page, after one song, wow, i'm sold.

Amazon is selling it for $7.99...which is so cheap, i also bought his new cd single "Boy With a Grin" for $4...as these two b-sides on the cd single are the same 2 songs as on the $32 import version of the album "with bonus cuts"....

sweet dealio...this guy is really something live as well.

i'll probably get the vinyl someday soon...this was too cheap to pass up.

9. woody

woody Forum Resident

the vinyl is nice and quiet. i think greg calibi masterd it. nice dynamics and laid back presentation.

10. DJ WILBUR

yes, after i listen to my $8 cd,...i just might have to get this one on vinyl. I've been buying more and more new vinyl lately and its been mostly a very positive experience.

his work would need some quiet vinyl, and I love that album cover.

I'm surprised both Iron & Wine and The Clientele arent more popular in here.

11. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

:laugh: :thumbsup:

12. DJ WILBUR

wow, amazon was uber cheap and uber fast on this title. Arrived today and after my first listen, very impressed with this record.

Best $8 bucks i've spent in a long time.

13. DJ WILBUR

Tom Boreen.....you NEED this record. second listen and i'm flipping out its so tremendously well done...this will be in my top ten of the year, no question. I havent been so juiced after spinning a new record...since....God Save The Clientele....

14. Clarkophile

Yes, I've heard one track off it and it's fantastic. Beam has an odd vocal tic (when he draws in breath suddenly) that drove me nuts on the Our Endless Numbered Days, which kinda forced me to file that one away for a while.:laugh:

But I like the new track a lot.

15. DJ WILBUR

hahaha, him and Tori do that like crazy, but i dont mind it.

16. DJ WILBUR

the last song in this myspace link, track 11, which on the myspace page you'd almost miss if you didnt scroll down to see, its simply and utterly one of the most gorgeous endings to any album I've heard in eons.

do yourself a favor and check out track 11 "Flightless Bird, American Mouth"

17. Clarkophile

What a great song!:righton:

18. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

It's always great to see an artist grow and evolve, and Sam Beam is no exception. I really dig the sound on the new album. Quite a difference from where he was just a few short years ago.

(I was lucky enough to see him when he did his first tour for Creek. There were maybe 25 people there that night, and you could have heard a pin drop!)

19. DJ WILBUR

i'm envious, I got hip to Creek when it first dropped hearing it on that syndicated radio show "acoustic cafe". Rob was playing it a lot...would have loved to see him back then. I love Creek and the EP after that in all their low-fi grandeur.

on another note it is astonishing to me his growth as an artist, and though the year is not out, if this is not my #1 favorite album of the year, well I'll be shocked (and also happy to have found one i like even more!) as its singly the best listen I've heard all year. i cant stop playing this one.

20. Voltron

Voltron Member

I've been dying for new Iron & Wine and this album really delivers! Beautiful sound, with a lot of growth and more variety without losing the core of his sound. Sam's voice is amazing and I always feel like my mood elevates while listening to I&W.

I am going to see him/them on Nov. 30 and can't wait for that. Big show at the Paramount Theater in Oakland, but hoping he plays somewhere else smaller also. Any news on that front would be appreciated.

21. DJ WILBUR

Iron & Wine on NPR's World Cafe - Oct. 19th

On Friday, Oct. 19th, NPR's World Cafe will be airing a previously recorded interview and performance by Sam Beam. Listen on your local NPR station or stream it afterwards on the iron and wine website.

22. Voltron

Voltron Member

Cool. Will do.

23. That album cover is wonderful.

I've owned a few Iron & Wine releases for a while now, but never got around to listening to anything from him. Didn't have time, and always had more "important" things to hear. This gives me a reason to play it finally! :righton:

24. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Beautiful song that bears a striking resemblance to Ray Lamontagne's "Within You"......and i know you dig that track. :agree: Both album closers, by the way...........

25. DJ WILBUR

hey, you are so right and I hadnt made that connection. Man I loved that track by Ray...gonna have to put that on next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.