Favourite Miles Davis double live album 1970-75?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

He made quite a few of them in this short time, and continued studio work as well. Some are definitely better than others.

I'm listing canonical albums only, so that everything is a double live LP, and not the Complete Cedar Door box since the other albums didn't get that treatment. And that's unfortunate because I really wish they would release an unedited version of Fillmore East since the editing is part of what makes that album so hard to follow.

Also I'm avoiding We Want Miles!, despite being one of my faves, and sticking with pre-retirement ones.

You may vote for two choices.

2. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

They are all essential. Yes they are different, but they all (combined) are pieces of the Miles genius and I'd hate a puzzle with missing pieces ;)

Yes a complete Fillmore would be nice ;)

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'Dark Magus' for me, but it's a very close race all around.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I like Dark Magus the best, especially the second disc.

5. gordolindsay

gordolindsay Forum Resident

I like all of them, but Live-Evil just gets me goin. Especially that drum solo on the second disc.

6. darkmage

darkmage Through Doors of Moonlight

I went with Agharta, but it is close call.

7. rdnzl

rdnzl Forum Resident

"Live-Evil" and "Dark Magus" are my favorites, but they're all great. There is almost too much fantastic music by Miles Davis out there to really appreciate all of it (but I can live with that kind of "problem":D ).

8. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I went with Pangea but it's really a 3 way tie with Agharta and Dark Magus, honorable mention: Avery Fischer Hall, NYC 7-1-75.......but they're all 10s in my book

9. theodore666

theodore666 Forum Resident

Imho, the final two live doubles - Agharta & Pangaea - are the fullest realization of Mile's excursion into electric jazz-funk. I'm curious as to which one people think is better, as there exists a definite difference of opinion on-line & elsewhere.

osbie feel likes this.
  10. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

I've not heard them all, but Agharta is my favourite. Just love Pete Cosey's playing on that one. Guess I'll have to give Dark Magus a spin. :)

11. "Dark Magus" - it's freakin' relentless! "Live Evil" and "Agharta" are also great, but I don't appreciate the others nearly as much.

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

Nice to see that everything's gotten at least one vote. I expected Live-Evil would get the most votes, which it has, but that At Fillmore would get the least, which it hasn't.

13. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Pangaea.
    Where is the double-disc of the last concert with Wayne Shorter, from the Fillmore East, March 1970? It was issued in 2001.

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I agree that the final two albums are definitive. I like to think he went on "sabbatical" because he had nothing left to say after the one-two punch of AGHARTA and PANGAEA.

I chose PANGAEA, because I like the flute intro over the drums. But I do like both these records more than the other '70s live doubles.

Can anyone definitively advise as to the Japanese LP-sleeve remasters of AGHARTA and PANGAEA? Do they contain more music or better remastering? I almost hesitate to ask as I'm pretty happy with the domestic editions.

15. I have both. I only did a qualitative comparison before selling my originals, but I REALLY like the Japanese ones.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

More music or better remastering? Or both?

17. bumper

bumper Forum Resident

I also voted for Agharta, not just because of Miles, but because of Pete Cosey's guitar.

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I voted for LIVE-EVIL.

19. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Dark Magus
    "relentless" above nails it

20. therockman

I just heard DARK MAGUS for the first time last night, I think I need another listen to really appreciate it.

21. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Absolutely Dark Magus. Most of all because of Dave Liebman, who turns in an absolutely incredible performance. Not a dull moment over those two discs!

Agharta/Pangaea are murkier, more meandering, but in a good way. No Liebman, though...

22. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Agharta for me, although if I'm in a mellower mood it's Pangaea. Echoing the poster above, it's the phenomenal Pete Cosey guitar playing on the date that pushes those out front for me.

23. therockman

Are these 2 available on SACD?

24. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

I don't believe so, but they have been issued on DSD-mastered redbook.

25. therockman

Based on the comments in this thread, I believe that I will have to check out these 2 discs, in DSD mastered redbook CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.