What is 'blanket licensing'? (re: music rights in film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KevinP, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

A classic Doctor Who episode once featured some Beatles music coming over a jukebox. Needless to say, the DVD release changed this. However, the title is being re-released with the Beatles music back in, this website citing 'blanket licensing' as allowing them to do so:
    http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rtwebsite/DavrosBoxset.htm

So what is it? How is it now possible? Is it only for UK (or otherwise non-American) productions/releases?

EDIT: Should have read the whole article more carefully. I guess it's not being re-released with the original music (though it seems they remastered it as such thinking it would be), but the rights issue is still confusing to me so my question still stands.

2. a 'blanket licence' allows you to perform and/or play any title from the rooster of a performing rights agence (i.e. ASCAP) without having to specify which songs exactly you performed/payed. the non-commercial radio station i used to dj on years ago operated under such kind of a licence, i believe. the station played a flat fee for performing rights and playing anything from GEMA's (German performing rights association) catalouge was covered under that fee. that meant we didn't have to submit any playlists for them.

3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

I see. So the DVD mentioned above could have re-inserted the Beatles tracks, but presumably only if distribution was limited to the UK only, which they weren't willing to do.

The website mentions 'new "blanket license" deals in the UK.' Anybody know what's changed?

4. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Actually, the article points out that they created masters for both situations. The version sold in the UK will be different from the one sold in other countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.