Which Bob Marley CDs were mastered by Barry Diament?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evanft, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanft

evanft Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since they're the apparetnyl the best-sounding versions, I need to know which ones Barry did. I know about these:

Burnin'
    Catch A Fire
    Confrontation
    Exodus
    Kaya
    Live
    Natty Dread
    Rastaman Vibration
    Survival
    Uprising

And of course Legend. Were there any others?

2. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

He remastered all 13 original Marley albums in 1990 and these were released on the Tuff Gong label.

3. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Rebel Music

4. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

...and Babylon By Bus.

5. evanft

Does that include Rasta Revolution and African Herbsman?

6. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

I've been listening to that version of Exodus the past couple of days. It really does sound fantastic!

7. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Allmusic.com shows "Survival" as being mastered by Barry as well.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  8. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

What I love about Barry's mastering on these Marley discs is that they can be cranked and still sound so good!

I like to demo Buffalo Soldier on my system for friends. :cool:

9. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I don't believe it does as these are on the Trojan label.

Scope J likes this.
  10. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

From a previous thread:

Originally Posted by Studio_Two
    Hi,

Did Barry remaster all of those Island Albums, or just the ones where he is credited on the back cover?

For the record, is there a definitive list?

TIA,
    Stephen

Hi Stephen,

In 1990, I did remastered the 13 original Bob Marley albums for Tuff Gong.
    All of the ones I did have my name on the disc itself.

They were:
    Catch A Fire
    Burnin'
    Natty Dread
    Live!
    Rastaman Vibration
    Kaya
    Babylon By Bus
    Exodus
    Survival
    Confrontation
    Uprising
    Legend
    Rebel Music

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Nick Brook and breakingglass like this.
  11. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I got the 2 LEGEND Remasters, and got rid of my original Legend. I didnt actually compare it very much when I got rid of the old one, but do any of you guys have both to compare? I remember several of the songs, have actual different endings, extended or slightly different beginnings etc?....the actual sound of the Remasters to my ears is not THAT much different. A somewhat more bass sound, and some treble, but nothing Unlistenable...

12. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Is there any box set with Mr Diament masterings?

Nonsmoker likes this.
  13. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

How many of them were mastered from the original master tapes? When the remasters with the bonus tracks came out Ice Magazine had said some of the CD's used the original masters for the first time. Something along the lines that they didn't know where the masters were all located until then.

14. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Barry has mentioned in the past that to his knowledge, he was using the original analog tapes made right off the mix console in Jamaica.

15. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Izozeles likes this.
  16. evanft

Nice. So is the remaster of African Herbsman any good?

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I've only been a casual Marley fan, but after reading of Barry's remasters, I began looking for them in the bins. I've scored nice copies of Legend and Live, and they are wonderful. Fortunately, they don't appear to be too rare. I also came across Barry's mastering of Natty Dread, but it was in lousy condition. Here's hoping I find another copy soon.

18. bundee1

bundee1 Forum Resident

I found a few at a record store in Jersey called Tunes. Yes I share my find because they had a lot of Barry MArley stuff. The bass on these discs is amazing. I bought 4 of them and the sound is clean, warm, and natural. Excellent job!

19. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Were the original Island Marley albums issued once on CD before the Diament-mastered set came out? I bought this copy of Babylon By Bus online, knowing that it wasn't the most recent reissue. Still, it isn't Barry's version either, as his name is nowhere in the credits. It has the Island logo on the disc, rather than "Tuff Gong" as on Barry's discs. Bus is the only one of the 13 discs that I did not have, so I thought I had plugged that hole in my collection.

Attached Files:

20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yes, that is the original issue available in the 80's before the catalog was remastered by Barry. I used to have a lot of them. Some of those discs sounded pretty good; others less so. . .

21. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

Legend is one of my all time faves and I always owned the remastered version. After reading info on this forum I bought the Diament Legend and I love it. I think it has a much warmer sound and you can really crank it. I gave the remastered version to my daughter who mostly listens in her car.
    Barry's version is pretty easy to find so I would try to get it. It's definitely better on a good home system.
    Mike

22. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Bill Levenson on Bob Marley master tapes in ICE Magazine 2001

Here is the ICE article

I want to make it clear that I'm not posting the information from this article to disparage or call into question Barry Diament or Bill Levenson's statments about master tapes. If fact, it's not entirely clear whether Bill was referring to the original Island CDs or Barry's Tuff Gong remasters. Barry specifically asked Island for original masters and to the best of his knowledge that's what he was given. As a label VP, Bill was in a position to do extensive tape research. I'm sure both of these gentlemen acted in good faith to do the best possible job with the Marley catalog. I think the results mirror those efforts. Many of us own multiple versions of the Bob Marley remasters in order to have Barry's mastering and the bonus tracks Bill unearthed. :)

Bill Levenson posts on this forum from time to time. I hope he can elaborate on this subject. The archivist/historian/completist in me is curious which CD versions are the "couple of cases" he refers to in the article.

James

23. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi James,

Just to clarify, it isn't merely a case of "to the best of his knowledge".
    They were the master mixes.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

24. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Thanks for the clarification, Barry. :wave:

HDOM likes this.
  25. Now I know why the copy of my Bob Marley CD Survival (stated as remastered by Rob Fraboni and Barry Diament) always sounded heads and shoulders above most of my CDs! Thanks Barry for a great job, this CD has been one of my favs for just about years and years!

speedracer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.