Adderley "Things are getting better" 45rpm - tape flutter?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claude, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claude

Claude Senior Member Thread Starter

I've just listened to the AP 45rpm reissue of Cannonball Adderley's "Things are getting better", mastered by Steve. The sound is much better than on the Fantasy SACD, but there is a problem on side 3 (just one track, "The Sidewalks of New York") at the end of the piano solo, 5:30 into the track:

On my copy, some extreme flutter can be heard during 20 seconds. It sounds more like a tape problem than a pressing defect. It is not present on the SACD.

Has anyone noticed this on his copy? If it's on all the pressings, there would be no use returning mine.

Thanks

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Anyone have an answer for this thread?

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The tape flutter was present to a lesser degree on the OJC Reissue LP and on the Riverside Original LP pressing in Mono. I think the tape defect may stem from the 3 track master onwards. Steve, any info on this you can add?

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have to listen to my OJC cd tonight, if I don't have it at work, and listen for it.

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I just listened to that track my OJC cd and I can't honestly say I hear any flutter or any other anomalies.

6. Claude

Thanks for the replies so far.

The flutter on my 45rpm disc is VERY obvious. As I wrote, the SACD sounds normal.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Pulled my OJC CD and played it. No flutter noticeable. I am wondering if this was simply a problem with the mastering deck used and not the original master reels? Sounds like this is our scenario! You folks other posts seem to agree!

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It's interesting to me that you say the flutter is heard on the original lp as well. One would think they could get it right on the initial release. I've never heard this album on vinyl of any vintage.

9. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

Could someone post an mp3 clip of this section so I, and others, can hear what you're talking about? I don't have Steve's version, but I do have the original LP. Can't say I've noticed the flutter, but I'll have to try and figure out which box this one is packed away in at the moment... :help:

10. Claude

I'll post a soundclip this weekend, as I'm rather busy now.

11. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

Cool, no hurry Claude. I appreciate it.

12. Claude

I have now recorded a 49 second passage with my PC and made a 256kbs MP3 file (1.5MB), that can be downloaded from yousendit:

http://download.yousendit.com/A3CFA76E469D6A7E

The balance seems to be incorrect (right channel too loud), which is probably due to the provisional connection between my preamp and the PC. But otherwise the file sounds accurate.

The flutter starts after 23 secs into the file (5:30 into the track), and stops a few secs before the end.

I hope someone can identify from the sound what could be the reason of the problem (tape or pressing defect). The flutter sounds the same everytime I play the passage, with 2 different cartridges.

Thanks

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That's really bad. It's definitely not on my OJC cd. I don't know how that could be a pressing defect. Do you care to comment Steve?

14. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident

Wish I could remember what I was listening to the other night when I heard the same thing and wondered "What the *&^% is that"

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Claude,

Just return it to Acoustic Sounds (Analogue Productions) with a note. They will probably give you another title and give this side a listen (they approved the TPs in the first place). They are good people and will take care of you.

16. Claude

Thanks for the reply, Steve and the others.

Does that mean the same defect is on all the copies?

If that is the case, I will keep mine, because apart from this irritating glitch it's the best sounding version of this album. I would only ask for a replacement if a perfect pressing was available.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

First, I don't no much about the Cannonball LP. Yes, I mastered it but never heard the playback TP's. I don't in fact like the sound of that album (too much echo and overload distortion) so I don't play it. Sounds like you might be describing a turntable motor irregularity on the cutting lathe. If that is the case, that side is going to have to be redone but let Acoustic Sounds check it out for you.

18. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

I just listened to my 45rpm copy of this for the first time - long after I bought it - and I noticed this immediately. It almost sounds like Wynton Kelly jumped onto a Fender Rhodes or something - it was a complete tonal change. I then compared to to my OJC CD and this issue was not audible. Grrrrr. :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.