Rubble Box Sets are Back in Print!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by child of nature, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less Thread Starter

I just received an email from Freak Emporium soliciting pre-orders for the reissue of both Rubble box sets! Here is a description:

"Rubble - Box Set - Vols 1-10. CD Box Set, £38.00 (Past And Present - PAPRBOX6)

Back in finally,(again for a limited time) the one you have been waiting for! This box set features the first ten volumes of the legendary UK '60s pop psike series. Each CD album is housed in a mini card sleeve with the original artwork. The package also features a 100 page booklet with track listings and sleeve notes.All the clasics from Wimple Winch,Caleb,Misunderstood etc are here. Absolutely essential. Due In: 28/09/2007"

The second box contains vol. 11 - 20

Great news!! :goodie: :goodie:

2. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

That is good news. Thanks for posting this!!!

Maybe while they're at it, Past and Present will bring its excellent Perfumed Garden series back into print.

3. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

Wow - thanks, Alison! I saw your announcement and immediately put the pre-orders in for both sets. I've been kicking myself for not getting these a few years back when they were available and the few times i've seen them since have made me sick to my stomach when seeing the price tag. Not that these are exactly cheap, of course, but they're a hell of a lot better than what i've seen lately! Worth every penny.

Thanks!
    Aaron

4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

WOOHOO!!

I'm ordering these as soon as I can! :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

...my downloaded mp3 copies will tide me over till then....

5. florette69

florette69 Forum Resident

These are counterfeits aren't they? I was surprised to find that vols. 7 & 10 in the first box set were mastered from vinyl copies of the Bam Caruso albums. Not much need to do that since both were legitimately issued on CD by Sequel earlier (from the tapes) so they could have been used as sources.

Nice sets to have, but no comparison with the vinyl originals, either aesthetically or sound quality-wise. The first couple of vinyl volumes (1 & 4) were beautifully cut.

6. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

now due 12 November,

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

These were advertised in my one-stop's release sheet, so I don't think they're counterfeit. Selling bootlegs would be a huge risk for the distributor. Oddly, the one-stop claimed to have stock of Volume 2 but not of Volume 1.

I was going to search the forum as to the quality of the selection and remastering of these boxes before ordering one each for myself!

8. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

were advertised in current edition of Record Collector.

I'm definitely getting these. Have four of them on vinyl but two box sets of 10 each is impossible to resist.

9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

These will be reprints of the Past & Present boxed sets though I'm pretty sure they are on Fallout. They are not "counterfeit" but it's safe to say that if they are on Fallout they are not licensed properly. But this is where the term grey market comes into play. Record Collector says that they don't take ads for bootlegs but I'm sure they also don't look closely at the licensing practices of some of their advertisers.

10. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

I never got 11-20, so that's great news. I will order them for the shop!

11. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

I wouldn't bet on that. I have bought bootlegs over the counter at Borders, where they obtained them from legitimate (and apparently oblivious) distributors.

12. mondo primo

mondo primo New Member

I am completley baffled by collecting Rubble. The reissues from the past few years are needledrops, right? And the early 90's cd's are the from tapes?And the original 80's lps are a combination?

And late 90's "best of" cd's are grey area?

It's interesting to remember that when he first started the Rubble series in the 80's, Phil Smee intentionally wanted the series to be confusing. That is why he released volumes out of sequence.

It looks like he got his wish.

13. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

A lot of folks think that Phil just wanted to do his limited editions and be done with it (same for Circus Days). Labels have picked up the Rubble CD issues without his involement in the past so that's why the quality suffered and it became confusing. Somewhere along the way it seems someone just decided to do needledrops of the albums. It's possible that's how Past & Present did the box sets though there are definitely needledrops on some original Rubble albums.

The Past & Present boxed sets have some sort of funky history in that they apparently decided to release (i.e. bootleg) the two sets and Phil opted to work with them because he wanted the sets packaged correctly. It's been said that Phil was very unhappy about the 90s issues that had the strange covers and mixed up track listings. So he opted to give Past & Present the proper art work, additional notes and a box design. At least that's story circulating.

As you say it's definitely confusing. Imagine being a retail outlet or distributor and trying to figure out what is licensed and what is not!! More than likely Rubble can stay in print as bootlegs for a long time.

14. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

So, you're saying that I am going to have to buy 1-10 again, as well? ;)

15. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

I regretted missing out on these the first time around- glad I have a second chance to pick 'em up...

16. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

I thought Fallout was pure bootleg needle drop stuff - their The Flame cd was a needledrop....

17. MoreMono

MoreMono Forum Resident

Sounds great.

Does anyone know about mono vs. stereo content?

18. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Any updates?

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Got both of them....Christmas gift from my wife (I am the luckiest guy alive!)
    got the first one back in December, and the 2'nd one just 2 weeks ago...

I think they sound great!

20. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Got both sets from Amazon.co.uk in the last few weeks.

Seem to be limited to 1,000 each. Lovely sets.

21. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

just noticed this -

Got the first set at the beginning of January - (c) 2007 FallBox 1

second set arrived last week
    - (c) 2003 Past and Present

second set box is slightly bigger in size.

Paul K - which ones did you get?

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Mine look about the same size....I don't have them in front of me here, but will report back tomorrow with that info...

23. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

24. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

email from ebay seller who is selling both sets.

"Both these sets have a copyright date of 2003. They are both on Past &
    Present and as far as I'm aware are a straight reissue of the sets that
    originally came out in 2003. I've heard about the Fallout release but I've
    been assured that these are not official & Past & Present have taken legal
    action to have them stopped from selling it. I suppose that's why they're
    hard to find now. I think there's a lot of bad feelings going on as the
    owner of Fallout used to be the business partner of the guy who owns Past &
    Present. The Past & Present reissues are almost sold out, the last I heard
    there were less than a 100 of each left."

25. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

It's sad that two guys who bootlegged those releases could fight over them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.