Opinions: Classic Records 200g "Blue Train" mono or stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kudesai, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kudesai

kudesai New Member Thread Starter

Or neither?

I have had the MFSL disc for eons, and love it. Now I am thinking of picking this up on vinyl. Thoughts?

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

not that i've heard either vinyl, but if I were getting one, I'd buy the version I didnt already have on cd...

please let me know how that sounds, i had no idea it was on vinyl and now I want one too!

3. kudesai

I would like someone to tell me how it sounds first. ;) Although, I may have to take a flyer on it if no one has an opinion.

4. kudesai

Really, nobody owns either of these?

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

someone must, give it a day or so, I get my best jazz info during mid day, when they are working, so patience.

I have never been disappointed yet by a Classic pressing though,

6. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I have the Classic Records mono LP. It sounds very nice, but I don't own any of the other version, so I have nothing to compare it to right now.

7. kudesai

How would you rate it on its own?

8. Another Side

I haven't listened to it in a while. I remember that it sounded great, but I'll report back. :thumbsup:

Edit: I see that Bernie Grundman cut it. That's always a good sign to me.

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I haven't done a shoot out but I do have the MFSL CD, the mono and stereo Classic Records LPs as well as other Blue Note US vinyl pressings ... oh yeah...AND the 45 RPM stereo Classic Records too. :D

Since you have the stereo MFSL gold, which I really like as far as CDs go, I would get the mono Classic Records LP next. YMMV.

10. kudesai

How different is the mono mix?

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's just the two stereo channels combined.

Really, you can do it yourself with your stereo version and a double Y cord.

12. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:yikes:

Wished I knew that before. :shrug:

13. kudesai

Thanks that is the info I was looking for! So, now it is just question of what people think of this stereo pressing. I was really hoping for a different mix with the mono though.

Not necessary, my pre-amp will do it for me. ;)

14. Another Side

Not this one, Steve. All of the 1500 Blue Notes have real mono mixes. RVG didn't start folding down until the 4000 series.

15. kudesai

Lol, you guys are killing me. :laugh:

So, if that is the case, can anyone tell me what is different in the mono mix?

I love these kinds of threads!

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Same thing, just one generation earlier. What, do you think he used two separate sets of mics, etc.?

He's not Capitol Studio. It's the same mix, just split. Actually the stereo tape feed sounds better, less distortion and compression. His mono Ampex always sounds to me like the recording head was warn to the nub by this recording date..

So, to crave the mono version of this album? To me, pointless. If you want mono, combine the channels; you will get more dynamic music, less distortion and less echo than the actual mono version from the mono tape.

Steve hath spoken!:angel:

17. kudesai

I wonder why the special attention by Classic in releasing a mono copy? Just for the pure mono system guys out there, perhaps.

So, how does the MFSL CD compare to the Classic 200 gram pressing.

18. Another Side

I know he didn't use a different set of mics, Steve. I listened to it today and it sounds pretty close to the stereo. I don't notice a big difference as far as reverb is concerned. If anything the mono sounds drier, but he probably used the same reverb effect on both, so probably not.

But when you say that he split the mix, I assume you mean that the two were mixed live on the same console with one feed going to the mono tape deck and one to the stereo tape deck. I'm not sure that that's the case. :shh:

19. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Is the 45 RPM better? If so, how much? I saw one going on ebay and was wondering whether I should nab it...

20. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have the 45 set, although I have nothing to compare it to. For me, it's one of my best purchases. IMO, BG hit a home run with the 45 mastering. Mine is also a 180 gram pressing, which means it's a 'pre-problems' Classic pressing. I don't know what these sets go for these days, or what you should pay, I bought mine new.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

21. kudesai

Interesting, it looks as though the stereo "mix" wasn't released until 1960, three years after the original release in mono in 1957.

http://www.classicrecords.com/blog/index.cfm?archiveyear=2006&archivemonth=2
    Learn something new all the time.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This doesn't directly help you, but...

I have the 45rpm, the MFSL CD, the original CD and the Ultimate CD. Until I got the 45rpm, I preferred the MFSL CD. I've never compared them directly, but I seem to recall the feeling when I first put it on that the 45 rpm was simply richer and more musical than the MFSL CD.

23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Dude you really need to start doing needledrops. :D

I don't have this on vinyl in any form, but I can say that the 45 rpm pressings I have of other titles, Classic or otherwise, are some of the best sounding and dynamic pieces of music I own. Knowing that this was done by BG at 45 rpm makes me think that's the one to have. I just wonder how much it'll cost me. :help:

24. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

How does this compare to the HDAD?

25. kudesai

Ah, now that is a good question. Same label, and done at or around the same time I presume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.