New Sony SACD titles from Japan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sjohns, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjohns

sjohns Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Whoa!! "Future Shock" being re-released on hybrid SACD*!!

* Confirmed on Japan Sony Music Shop's website, where it's taking pre-orders.

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Great news, almost unbelievable. Did someone push the wrong button at the pressing factory ;)

"Flood" is an odd choice though. It's a great concert by the Headhunters group, but the recording quality is just acceptable. "Thrust" or "Sextant" would have been more obvious choices.

4. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

Nice! I hope they keep 'em comin'...

I could use a couple more new SACDs that aren't classical.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I am definitely buying this.

6. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Wow! And here I thought SACD was dead...good news, indeed. Hope to see more...

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm up for Future Shock. :)

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I recall it was announced (with cover photo even!) as early as late 2002. It was about the same time Sony also announced "Couldn't Stand the Weather" MCH SACD. Maybe there's still hope for that one too ;)

I placed my pre-order. Came to about $25 after airmail.

10. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Not too crazy about Future Shock or Flood as albums, although it's still nice to see. Maybe there is hope for Thrust and Manchild, which are right up there with Headhunters.

11. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Agreed. But why are these not released here in America?

12. I look forward to Tempest in the Colosseum, which even has a version of Hubbard's Red Clay.

Does anyone know much about the VSOP album "Five Stars"? I've never heard of it.

I can't imagine the SACD of Live Under the Sky could sound much better than the CDs, because it was recorded in low res digital.

13. Eugenius

Eugenius New Member

They think we just like to buy 'import' stuff so that we can feel special? I know it's better than not having the product exist at all, but I do wish we'd see SACD in the US.

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

"Future Shock" was previously released in Japan as a single-layer SACD; I ordered it from HMV JP. This upcoming reissue is on hybrid SACD.

Sony Music Japan has been regularly releasing SACD titles. While many may not be of interest to those outside of Japan, Sony Music Japan does release numerous new SACD titles. Also, keep in mind that Sony Music Japan is a separate company from Sony BMG and was NOT a part of the Sony BMG merger.

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

According to this discography, it was recorded 3 days after the "Live under the sky" concert, at the same location

http://www.jazzdisco.org/shorter/cat/a/#790729

But I remember it being a direct-to-disc recording, released (and later reissued on CD) only in Japan. As most direct-to-disc sessions, it is only around 30 minutes long.

16. Thanks for finding this.

I read somewhere that the CD release of Herbie Hancock's album The Piano was made from an analog tape backup, and not the direct to disc master. I wonder if they did the same for this album?

Mutants on the Beach is a nice Tony Williams composition which is on his Mosaic Select box. Could "Circe" actually be the Miles Davis' composition "Circle" from Miles Smiles?

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I think that's the case of all direct-to-disc sessions reissued on LP or CD. The tape recording that is made in parallel with the direct cutting of the disc is used for the reissues. The direct-cut disc can only be used for a limited number of vinyl pressings.

Besides "Five stars" and "The piano", there is also a direct-to-disc recording Hancock made with the Headhunters: "Direct step".

18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I received 7 new Herbie Hancock Hybrid SACDs from hmv.co.jp today!!!

I got them all except for Headhunters (since I already have that on SACD):

Five Stars
    VSOP
    Future Shock
    Flood
    Live Under the Sky
    Tempest in the Colosseum
    VSOP The Quintet

Looking forward to cracking these open and listening to them ASAP.

Anyone else order and receive their discs?

19. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Mike, please report back on their sound once you listen to them. :)

Enjoy!

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

My "Headhunters" came last Friday. Amazing that the release date in Japan was Wednesday and I got it in Texas just two days later!

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Is there anything different about the new Japanese issue of Headhunters that would make it a recommended purchase if I already have the original MC SACD?

The only reason my order didn't ship earlier last week, but did ship on Friday was that two of the items didn't come in for shipment until Friday, and I opted to have hmv.co.jp wait until all discs were available before shipping the order.

22. I don't think so. The mastering is credited to Mark Wilder, which I believe is the same as the old multi-channel SACD.

I noted one difference though, I have the current red book remaster, the CD layer on the JSACD is louder than the CD remaster, suggesting it is a different mastering, and possibly a transfer made from the DSD of the SACD layer.

That is only my speculation though, I don't have proof.

I really like Tempest in the Colosseum! For any fan of the Live Under the Sky 2 CD set, Tempest in the Colosseum is just as good, if not even better! It has a great version of Hubbard's Red Clay, that is even better than the live version that is on the remastered Red Clay album (the last bonus track).

23. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I got my VSOP SACDs from CDJapan but haven't listened to them yet.

24. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Has anyone listened to any of the new Herbeie Hancock or V.S.O.P. SACDs?

I'm getting "Five stars" for sure, but I have doubts about the sound quality of the live recordings, which can be also found for less than $10 on domestic CD.

25. Tempest in the Colosseum is good, perhaps not as good sound quality as Live Under the Sky but perfectly acceptable for an outdoor concert. Flood sounds close the the Japanese Mastersound version, so if you already have that I wouldn't bother. The Quintet sounds slightly improved compared to the old redbook version, but it isn't a night and day difference. Curiously, the SACD layer of Head Hunters is louder than the 1997 redbook remaster that I have. The SACD is the best version I've heard.

Do you know if Tempest in the Coloseum was a digital or analog recording? There is a strange anomoly at a couple of points where the sound of the trumpet seems slured. I'm wondering if this is a digital glitch during the recording? Or if it is analog, maybe the tape was a bit crinklied or warped? It sounds rather strange. It is on both the SACD and CD layers suggesting it is part of the recording itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.