Milty Zerostat Use

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timo, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timo

timo New Member Thread Starter

OK. So I got a Zerostat gun. How do I use it? The directions on the box are vague at best. Do you move the thing as you're pointing it at the record or do you just point the gun at it and slowly pull and release the trigger? And if you move it, do you move it as you're pulling or releasing the trigger? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

No need to move it around. Hold it 12 inches away from the platter and disc, point, slowly squeeze and then slowly unsqueeze.

3. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Don't you release it away for the record?

4. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

The way I use mine is to hold the record in my hand, one finger on the label and one on the edge, place the the end of the device about 4 to 6 inches away and slowly pull the trigger. Then, while slowly releasing said trigger, move it back two to three feet. I believe the idea is to balance the charge that might be on the record, and then draw it away. Sort of like using a tape head De-Mag.

Ric-Tic and rstamberg like this.
  5. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have never heard that you have to "draw it away" when using, and I have been using a Zerostat for more than a decade. In fact, I believe you are not getting its full effect if you draw it away.

6. Rick B.

Rick B. Senior Member

My understanding is that when you squeeze the trigger it emits positive ions and then when you release it it emits negative ions (or visa-versa). That is how it neutralizes the charge, so drawing it away might not work as well.

7. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Exactly :righton:

8. terra1

terra1 New Member

This is how I understand it.

It seems to be a 2-step process.
    Pull EMITS Positive ions to set up then Release EMITS Negative ions to neutralize. Think opposite charges attract.

It doesn't suck in static so drawing away serves no purpose if you think releasing actually discharges the static.

This is how I have always used the Zerostat:

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/photo/useinst.html

Zerostat® Antistatic Device
    Use Instructions

Hold the Zerostat within 12" (30.5 cm) of the surface or object to be treated. Squeeze the trigger slowly for about two seconds, to emit a stream of positive ionized air over the surface of the object. As the trigger is slowly released, a negative show of air ions is produced resulting in static neutralization. Repeat this procedure at several points across the surface of the object.

The Zerostat needs no batteries or electrical supply and unlike other antistatic products, the Zerostat contains no radioactive components whatsoever.

Important notice! Remove the ion indicator from the barrel before using the Zerostat Antistatic Gun to neutralize static charge. Ion indicator is for testing use only.

Caution! Do not use in an explosive or combustible environment.

9. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

Interesting! I learn something everytime I come here. I guess this means I can stop moving around like a fool when using this thing!:D

10. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Do the guns wear out?

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I used to have great fun zapping people on the spine with them.

12. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I favored the thigh. ;)

13. Zowie

Zowie Forum Resident

Did it just get kinky in here, or is it just me?

:p

Ricardo Cosinaro likes this.
  14. golfchance

golfchance Forum Resident

Mine wore out after a few years (I seem to recall something broke inside). Figuring I had nothing to lose, I broke it apart and re-attached whatever it was that had come loose (this was so many years ago I just can't remember). It worked again for a few more years and I fixed it again.

I've been meaning to go dig it out, now that I'm listening to vinyl more regularly again. No idea at this point if it still works or not!

15. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I guess I can test mine with some styrofoam chips.

16. brupri

brupri New Member

D-D-D-ennnnniss, I I I s-s-s-tillllll ha-a-a-vvvvvvvvn't f-f-f fffforgggggivennnn y-y-you f-f-for th-th-that.

:p

17. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sucker should never wear out. Mine is still going after 20 years.

Positive ions, negative ions. Never squeeze it and pull away. The release gives you the ability for neutralization. It will keep zapping positive charges for a while after you release it.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Can you leave the record on the turntable (spinning) while using the gun?

19. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

I've never tried that; I always leave the LP stationary and I point-and-release three times, in a triangle (i.e. at 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock). Then I point at the center of the record and pull, then point the gun far away from the LP and release. I don't remember where I read this, but I've found that it works well.

On the other hand, maybe once is enough, and four times just means that the gun will wear out faster! :confused:

20. golfchance

golfchance Forum Resident

Funny you should mention this technique - I was just about to post it myself. After I dug out my old Zerostat 3 gun and went to use it, I remembered this was exactly how the instructions had said to do it. Mine was from the mid/late '80s I believe, with the Discwasher name on it.

I don't think it would work right while the record is spinning.

21. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I use mine when the record is spinning and it works fine.

22. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

works well with CD's and DVD's imo.

23. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

That's it...I just found the instructions in the box that my Discwasher DiscKit came in, and to quote:

1. Imagine the record as having a triangular shape (the spindle hole being the center). Hold the Zerostat approximately 12 inches from the record surface and slowly squeeze the trigger at each of the three "corner points" of the record. We suggest taking about two (2) seconds to release it. (If the record is on the turntable, perform this while the turntable is not revolving.)

2. Pointing the Zerostat at the center of the record, gently squeeze the trigger a fourth time, point the Zerostat away from the record (toward the floor) and release the trigger.

Although this method appears lengthy, the results are worth the time involved...less static on the record surface. Zerostat allows improved cleaning with the D4 Record Care System and a quieter playback of your favorite records

They also warn that "Operation of the Zerostat in a moving airstream may not give satisfactory results."

So there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth.

Dino likes this.
  24. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

This is the only way I have ever used one.

25. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

erm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.