"The Harder They Come" Jimmy Cliff LP on Simply Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack White, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member Thread Starter

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of "The Harder They Come" reissued soundtrack LP (Jimmy Cliff et al.) on the Simply Vinyl label?

Thanks.

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone? This release must be someone's else radar, other than just me.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Good way to tell if it's from the CD or not. Listen to SHANTY TOWN. If it's wildly phasy (like it was done on purpose or something even though it wasn't) it's the original album master. If the phase issue is fixed and that song sound louder than the rest with no phase problems it's a cut of the "fixed" digital version and should be (if you ask me) avoided.

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Why should the fixed version (are you referencing the CD here?) be the one to avoid Steve?

5. Steve Hoffman

They only fixed it digitally. Why spend money to buy an LP cut from a CD when the actual CD is out there for 10 bucks? If they used the actual analog tape it would have the phasey version.

6. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Are all digital versions fixed? BTW, I picked up an original copy of the CD for 6 bucks.

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I understand that there is only one digital version of the soundtrack available so you're good!

8. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

That can't be right, can it? I had a single disc club CD, probably from the '90s, and then gave it away when the 2-CD Deluxe Edition came out. I'm assuming the latter is a remastering, no?

Then there would have to be one or more Japan and UK digital versions as well, I'd imagine.

If you can prove me wrong, I'd be interested in seeing the evidence, of course!

9. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

That is incorrect. There are at least three different masterings. Details and continued discussion here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-pleasant-surprise.172329/page-2#post-8879921

Yes. There are at least three masterings, see the thread I linked.

10. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Thank you for pointing this out but what I understand from reading about this is that they are still using the original digital transfer of the recording...

11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Get the Artisan orig sounds excellent.

12. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Have you compared it to the STERLING cut?

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. That or the Mango CD. I heard the Simply Vinyl on a friend's system and it sounded lifeless to me. Avoid it.

15. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I didn't feel the need once I determined that the Artisan cut preceded the Sterling, and the stellar sound of that original.

16. Steve Hoffman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.