New Metallica album recorded to tape, no ProTools

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

This is great! Lars had mentioned last year that Metallica wanted to focus more on sound quality for their next album. The last one (St. Anger) was so ProTools sliced-n-diced and completely brickwalled mastered, that it is an almost impossible listen.

Can we please have a Metallica thread with no bashing? No "they haven't put out a good album since _____". Thanks :wave:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...lbum-ridiculous-sick-bitchin-says-matt-sorum/

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

this is good news, but unfortunately, Mr. Rubin likes brickwalled mastering. count on it.
    PS. i am looking forward to the new album, albeit with a jaundiced eye.

3. snork

snork New Member

Not necessarily, but he's certainly not pulling very hard to keep it from happening. So it's likely up to the band on this one to make sure it doesn't get butchered. I'm a very lite Metallica fan, but I'm always happy to hear that a recording was done to tape. :goodie:

4. nin

nin Forum Resident

Are Metallica on Warner (hoping for a Steve/Kevin cut vinyl)? ;)

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just because they record to tape doesn't mean they won't mix or master in Pro Tools, or some other DAW. And, all the attention to the sound in recording and mixing won't mean anything if it's smashed in the mastering stage.

6. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I am thrilled that Metallica are working with a new producer. I like a lot of albums that Rubin has produced. Hopefully, they will leave a little room for the songs to breathe when this album gets mastered.

One thing is for sure, it can't sound worse that St Anger. That drum sound was... interesting to say the least.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Yes, with Elektra defunct, Metallica are now on Warner Music. We can cross our fingers that Steve/Kevin would be given a shot at the mastering job!

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, he did cut the Rubin produced Chili Peppers. Possibility.

9. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Wouldn't that be swell!:)

10. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Rubin did nothing to stop the last several chilli pepper releases from being totally smashed by mastering.

11. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Wow, I wasn't expecting this. There's hope yet. And even if the CD is smashed, at least there's the possibilty of an uncompressed vinyl edition.

12. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Yes but dont you think it might be a ploy by Warner to get people buying the CD and the vinyl?

Record company exec: Let's release a totally screwed up CD version first, and then a few weeks later we'll put out a really nice quality vinyl.

I think that's what they're up to.

13. Dan Halen

Dan Halen Active Member

Great news. However, does anybody remember about 10 years ago, when Nuno Bettencourt was raving about what he'd heard from Van Halen 3? Fair warning (no pun intended).

14. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Except I think the vinyl audience, while growing, is still much smaller than the CD audience.

15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

"Annoying" would be a better word.

16. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

There's an ez way to combat this... Don't buy the CD, buy the vinyl. :agree:

17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Yep, I can see it now: "Mastered by Vlado 'Radioactive Man' Meller"

I still have hopes that Metallica can put out something good (keep in mind I really like the Loads); given that the circumstances are completely different than St. Anger, it's possible.

Oh, and it's been discussed on here before: Rubin himself supports the nuked mastering. It's him and Meller, not the label.

18. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I just hope that they weren't tempted to record it using Dubly.

I'll get me coat.

19. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Dubly SR, I'm certain. Like using analog tape would make a difference with these guys now??? The reels will be running for cover.;)

20. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

dubly SR? What's that?

21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Dubly bad Dolby, perhaps?

22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Two different audiences, you mean?

23. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Yes but this tactic will help it grow.

24. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

No. They are overlooking the people like me who would much prefer a good mastered CD than a vinyl.

25. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Exciting news, but I would be even more excited if they could actually pull out a good album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.