Wow,,,someone is a big fan of compression...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WHitese, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Glad I'm not a member of that forum. I would have been enraged at that guy's attempted explanation of compression. It worries me that he claims to have gone to school for sound engineering. If that's what they teach now, we're in trouble in the future!!

Frank R.

4. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

Maybe it was a mail your diploma school...:shh:

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Pete Townsend loves compression.

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Music for people who don't like listening to music. Or something like that.

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Saying that digital mastering compression is the current trend or what the consumer wants is one thing. Saying that it actually sounds better is just insane. Anyone with good ears should know that.

8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I think they guy forgot to mention he's a record company shill who's legally hearing impaired.

RL

9. dnewma04

dnewma04 New Member

Sadly, I moderate that forum and it has deteriorated signficantly over the years. Used to be frequented by a number of intelligent members, but as the cars aged and the collective group got younger, it isn't what it used to be. I hope my limited knowledge of compression wasn't too evident. I'm no sound engineer, but I play one on the internet.

10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Townsend's hearing is now compressed, mostly because of Keith Moon though!:D

11. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Ughh. Why has everyone forgotten about dynamic range?

I mean, they even used that as a major selling point of CDs originally.

12. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Townshend mixed the surround version of Tommy, and I like the sound of that quite a bit! He also mixed Endless Wire, and although it doesn't sound great, it doesn't sound terrible either. Especially for a guy who is as deaf as everyone says he is! FWIW, he has tinnitis, or ringing in his ears more than actual hearing loss from what I understand.

Frank R.

13. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Not only that, but saying that sound quality is eleventy billion times better now is just nonsense. It's not even a tiny bit better.

14. imrichard

imrichard Forum Resident

I don't see anything bad on compression per se, when used as a creative tool it can produce that cool floating sound (She Said, She Said or Taxman overcompressed drum sound is great). Also, rock vocals would sound dry and uneven uncompressed using a condensator mic. Screaming into a dynamic mic adds a bit of compression too. Our ears and brains do "compress" at high levels too. An analog and digital compression only mimics that physiological compression on lower levels, which is a part of perception of loud sounds. Limiting the most prominent transients during recording or mastering makes sounds better and helps to use dynamic range of a medium more effectively. As with a lot things in this world there must be a balance between too little and too much compression/limiting. Our answer to loudness war is very simple: Don't buy it a let that know to artists/recording industry/consumer electronic manufacturers as loud as possible!!!

15. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I use compression/limiting recording various instruments on my records. This is an artistic approach if done intelligently. Certainly folks like Norman Smith, Geoff Emerick and Larry Levine did too. It's hard limiting the mastering bus on the final mix that gives the ultra maximized crappy sound we hear on modern discs. Yuck!

Bobby Sutliff

16. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Excellent post, you made over there!

17. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

Welcome to SH.TV. Hang around here for a few days and you'll be a convert for life! :righton:

18. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Ah, I get it. It's just a different form of "...these go to 11".
    Marty? Nigel? You out there? C'mon out, guys... ;)

19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Ok, that's a fair description, if a bit technically inaccurate.

But a more consistent volume? Has this tool ever heard of DYNAMICS?

20. posieflump

posieflump New Member

I love it! Sounds like the kind of thing Dr. John or Slim Gaillard would use.

21. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

or something to do with air conditioning!
    :D

22. tps

tps Forum Resident

Next thing you know, he'll be telling us that, besides constant volume, the song also needs to play at a constant pitch. Yeah, that's the ticket, the same note, over and over...

23. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Great stuff you said over there. Way to try to straighten it out. I can't believe anyone actually thinks that way. The only time moderately-used compression is a good thing is in the car. Otherwise, not so much.

Ed

24. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I like Endless Wire but I'm not so sure I agree about the mix. I have the vinyl and it's kind of like a big sloggy midrangey mess. But I still enjoy it from time to time.

Anyway, compression:

Last night I had to play a show where they were running some compression on my piano because of dynamic issues in the hall and I was using ears and at first they were putting the compression in my ears and OH BOY DID IT SOUND ROTTEN. What compression can do to a piano is scary.

Anyway, I don't agree that it's always bad though. Sometimes if you put a little compression on a particular mix it makes it jump into focus nicely. It just depends on the type of music, and the specifics of the particular track.

I've definitely seen a case where like two songs on an album fit the album better with a little compression on them, when the rest of the album was completely uncompressed.

-s

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wow. I can't believe this guy. Here's one of his quotes:

"Take for example classical music. Try putting a CD of Bach or whoever you want in your stereo at home or in your car. This music is so dynamic that you constatly have to ride the volume control to hear the quiet parts, and then not blow your speakers during the loud parts. It's stimulating to listen to music this way, especially live, but not always pleasant. You will find yourself being startled quite often, when the loud parts kick in and out."

I sure don't wanna be startled! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.