All-girl band Fanny thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashgordon, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member Thread Starter

Well, I know there was a thread http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=44824&highlight=Fanny about all-girl rock band Fanny long time ago. However it’s closed.
    I saw them yesterday on cable TV. They played “Special Care”. How really great they were! And why on earth I had never heard of them before?
    It was David Bowie who said about Fanny, "They were extraordinary: They wrote everything, they played like mother*****ers, they were just colossal and wonderful."
    The first and only release of Fanny on CD was First In A Long Time, a four-CD boxed set, containing Fanny's entire 1970-73 Reprise catalogue and additional bonus tracks.
    Does anyone have this box set? How it is in terms of sound quality?

Here’s how they rocked: :thumbsup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0By2IbNvavc&mode=related&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GONJ021Vfg8&mode=related&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGoVQRdk7w&mode=related&search=

2. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member

FANNY: First Time In A Long Time: The Reprise Recordings

FANNY
    First Time In A Long Time: The Reprise Recordings
    $79.98 CD

An individually numbered, limited edition of 5,000 copies from Rhino Handmade.
    "They were extraordinary: They wrote everything, they played like mother*****ers, they were just colossal and wonderful."

-- David Bowie, Rolling Stone, 1999

An all-girl rock band? Sure, what's the big deal? Well, prior to Fanny, it was a big deal. With few exceptions, "girl groups" didn't write their own material and play their own instruments. Signing to Reprise Records in 1969, Fanny became the first all-female group to record a full-length album for a major label.

Sisters June and Jean Millington began rocking in Sacramento, California in the early '60s. In 1968, after years of touring the West Coast in the all-female The Svelts, the Millingtons assembled a new band, Wild Honey, and took to the stage with original songs and folk and Motown covers. A 1969 gig at The Troubadour club in Los Angeles brought Wild Honey to the attention of producer Richard Perry, who persuaded Warner's Mo Ostin to sign the band sight unseen.

With Perry at the console and soon-to-be-permanent member Nickey Barclay on keyboards, the band now named Fanny recorded its eponymous debut in L.A. Released in December of 1970, the album combined textured, Beatle-esque pop with sweaty soul, beefy riffs, and proto-Riot Grrrl swagger. If women weren't supposed to rock with this level of chops and intensity, apparently nobody told Fanny.

Their name might not be a household word, but if you want to know something of Fanny's influence, just ask The Runaways, The Go-Go's, or Hole. But don't listen to Fanny because they're a great female band. Listen to them because they're a great band.

Amazingly, Fanny's groundbreaking albums have never been released on CD. With Rhino Handmade's release of First Time In A Long Time: The Reprise Recordings, this hugely important band is finally getting its digital due.

First In A Long Time is a four-CD boxed set containing Fanny's entire 1970-73 Reprise output, plus much more. The studio albums Fanny (1970), Charity Ball (1971), Fanny Hill (1972), and the Todd Rundgren-produced Mother's Pride (1973) have been remastered from original master tapes and are included in their entirety. Also included are exclusive songs from the highly sought-after Canadian version of Fanny, which was pressed from the wrong masters and issued in an initial run of a few thousand copies.

Additional bonus tracks include Wild Honey demos from 1969, Reprise promo spots, informal "Kitchen Tapes" recordings, live tracks from 1972-73, and many outtakes and alternate versions. A special 52-page book includes an exclusive 2002 interview with June and Jean Millington and Alice de Buhr, plus rare photos and tributes by David Bowie, Bonnie Raitt, Jill Sobule, and others.

Selection # 7734

90 Tracks
    33 Previously Unreleased
    4 Discs
    52-Page Booklet

3. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member

Fanny video

i seem to recall there are a couple videos broadcast on German TV Beat Club from early 70s - try to track those down.
    yep, i too love Alice, June, Jean & Nickey!

-mike

4. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

When I first started at A&M Alice DeBuhr ( drummer)and I worked in the sales department together...As I remember her she was very cool...

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Good band. I love the song "All Mine" with those Todd R. backing vocals..

6. flashgordon

:agree: They were very nice looking girls.

7. hipster006

hipster006 Forum Resident

there was a early 70's live concert issued on cd with the bands' permission. i believe called,"fanny live". the copy i bought was autographed by some band members.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The song Butter Boy (not on the box) is a killer track. Can't believe it made it on the radio, the sexual innuendo is not very hard to get.

9. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I thought this was going to be about girl band fanny.

10. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member

Butter Boy was not issued on Reprise, thus we would-a needed to license it.
    but at four discs, the feeling was there was enough to satisfy. however we did include a few recordings from their privately issued Live CD.
    those were fun days, both June and Jean sitting-in during re-issue mastering sessions in Woodland Hills (recalling it was summer and quite hot outside).
    -mike

11. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I think Fanny backs up John Simon on one song on his first solo lp, which is either on Warners or Reprise. And at least one member from Fanny is on the "Terminal Love" lp by the Peter Ivers Band on WB.

12. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Fanny just doesnt mean the same in the USA does it.

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

No, it doesn't.

14. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

One of the Beat Club videos was for a song called "Blind Alley." I've been a fan since seeing that video on MTV Closet Classics back in the early 80s. Truly one of the 70s best boogie bands.

15. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I doubt if you'd been able to find the master, anyway. I've heard most Casablanca stuff is really in chaos.

17. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

Am I crazy or does that first link up there, "Borrowed Time", sound like Motley Crue?

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, I have it. I think it sounds pretty good, certainly better than my NME Exile On Main Street flexi-disc from 1972 which was my first exposure to the group! :)

The box is definitely NOT mastered loud! Mastering is by Bob Fisher (at Pacific Multimedia, Granada Hills, California), a new name to me, who is also one of the set's co-producers.

19. oremkram

oremkram New Member

fanny

i have a few lps of fanny great girl group
    orenkram

20. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

I think I read somewhere that they were players on a Barbara Streisand album called Stoney End produced by Richard Perry

21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Jean and June have a new band called The Slammin' Babes, and their website (http://www.slamminbabes.com/) contains links to some Fanny songs in the Music section.

22. Alan

Alan New Member

Michael,
    The CD box sounds great and the Rhino/WB box design is excellent! An almost complete compilation and long overdue. Hey, I bought 2 sets when it came out in 2002.
    I think I have all the LP's stock and WLP's including the rare Canadian 1st LP.
    Nickey Barclay had 'Diamond In A Junkyard' in 1976 and she's living in Ireland?
    June & Jean had 'Ladies On The Stage' in 1978. June had the LP's 'Heartsong' 1981; 'Running' 1983; 'One World, One Heart' 1988; and June & Jean 'Ticket To Wonderful' in 1993.

23. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I have this set and it sounds fine, save for some tape drop out on some of the Fanny Hill cuts - Blind Alley is one I noticed in particular. Don't let that stop you, though, this set is great - the packaging is really well done and the sound of the CDs is not overly loud or brick walled.

Fanny was a great band. I saw them several times - at the Bitter End in NYC, at the Fillmore East opening for Humble Pie (the Rockin' the Fillmore LP) and Boston at the Boston Club (now the Paradise) and the now defunct Performance Center in Harvard Square. I also saw June do some solo sets at Passim in Harvard Square. They were seriously under rated and still don't seem to get the recognition they deserve.

Frank

24. flashgordon

Thank you, fellows! It’s real good news. I feared that they spoiled a great music by their terrible crappy mastering as they often did. Now I will be hunting for this box! :thumbsup:

25. Alan

Alan New Member

Frank,
    Very cool must have been great too see them live. There are 4 little glitches on Blind Alley one @ 2:03 of the track. And a strange backwards tapey guitar thing in one channel in the intro that I can't hear on the LP's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.