Steve: Questions about your headphones and headphone amplifiers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wolverine, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolverine

wolverine New Member Thread Starter

Steve,

I see in your profile that you own the AKG 701 headphone and the Woo Audio 6 amp. These are the two audio upgrades I'm considering. I noticed that you've begun to think differently of headphone listening after your attendance at the HeadFest, and experiencing the various equipment there.

-What are your impressions of the Woo Audio 6/AKG 701 synergy?

I listen mainly to jazz, so I want to know that this combo does well with this genre. This is critical.

-Which headphone would you prefer--AKG 701 or Sennheiser HD600--with the WA6 (for jazz)?

I've listened to the HD600 a few times for only a short time. The sound just seemed cold, but I only was driving it with a portable amp. Does the WA6 make much a different to change the sound?

-With the respective cable upgrades you have for each headphone, which headphone do you prefer with the WA6? (again, for jazz)

-Which amp do you prefer--Ray Samuels Raptor or Woo Audio 6?

Excuse me for the many questions, but your responses will help me greatly in my decision. Thanks.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Soon as I have a little time today I'll address your questions.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Okie Dokie. They are changing reels and realigning tape machines.

Your questions:

What are your impressions of the Woo Audio 6/AKG 701 synergy?

I thought it was great but ONLY with the 701 Ken Ball ALO Audio mod. Straight I found the cans cold and unemotional.

I listen mainly to jazz, so I want to know that this combo does well with this genre. This is critical.

A good setup should play everything well. Music is music. It works for everything when the cans are modded.

-Which headphone would you prefer--AKG 701 or Sennheiser HD600--with the WA6 (for jazz)?

See above. The modded 701 is the best for me for all types of music.

I've listened to the HD600 a few times for only a short time. The sound just seemed cold, but I only was driving it with a portable amp. Does the WA6 make much a different to change the sound?

HD 600 is many things but "cold" ain't one of them. I found it too romantic and bassy with the stock power cord.

-With the respective cable upgrades you have for each headphone, which headphone do you prefer with the WA6? (again, for jazz)

For the 600's (see my profile or go click below).

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=119656

The Stefan Audio Arts wire seems to work the best but still the upgrade isn't as pleasing as the modded 701's (to me).

-Which amp do you prefer--Ray Samuels Raptor or Woo Audio 6?

Both of them are state of the art can amps. Both use tubes. The WooAudio 6 uses a nifty tube rectifier that makes (to me) the midrange (the heart of the music) more palpable which I like but of course this could change with the cans or even the brand of tubes used. I think the Raptor needs to be played loud for the glories to come out. I never blast my cans; my hearing has to last until retirement.

Note that the Raptor is a loan to me from Todd The Vinyl Junkie but the Woo was a gift from Jeff Dorgay. I love the sound and the build quality of both. Now, I have no idea how much these units cost. Also what I listen for could be different than what YOU listen for. One has to think about that stuff as well.

So, does this help?

4. Voltron

Voltron Member

Not to butt in here, butt...

The Woo Audio 6 is probably going to be more pleasing to you for jazz listening. The Raptor is a very nice amp but its strengths are speed and clarity/detail, and power, so it plays well loud, as Steve mentioned. The Raptor also has a very solid state sort of sound for a tube amp -- again, speed and detail. The WA6 is going to give you some tube options and will sound very sweet and warm without being mushy at all in stock form.

As for the K701 vs. HD600, I have and like both of them. The K701 is too neutral-to-cold for me to really love it in stock form, but Steve really likes the ALO recable he has, and I have heard it successfully recabled with Moon Audio Black Dragon and with a Cardas cable done by Headroom. Both of those were also balanced, however. The HD600 is nice in that you can swap cables without effort because of the connectors. I have a Moon Audio Blue Dragon v.2 that sounds beautiful with the HD600, and many people like the affordable Cardas replacement cable with the HD600. I prefer the Equinox from Stefan Audio Art on the HD650s, but I have not spent time with the Equinox on the HD600 to give you any input.

So my opinion, FWIW, is to go for the WA6 with HD600 and a replacement cable such as the Moon Audio Blue Dragon v.2. Affordable and also adaptable. That said, I am dying to hear that ALO K701...;)

Good luck, and you can find infinite amounts of comparisons and other info at Head-fi.org.

Cheers!

5. gordolindsay

gordolindsay Forum Resident

I would say go for the HD600's for jazz. They just have that intimate feeling with a lot more body than what the 701's are going to give you.

I suppose it's going to come down to how much you are willing to spend. If you plan do the mod's that Steve has to the 701's they just might go the extra mile (I've never heard them modded) but if you're staying stock, I would pick the 600's without hesitation.

I havn't heard either of those amps so I can't say anything about those.

6. wolverine

Thanks, Steve, Voltron, and Gordo for your responses.

I think I've settled on the WA6 for my amp, but I'm still undecided about the headphones.

Steve, when you say the K701 are the "best for me for all types of music", do you mean the modded K701 are the best phones of all the ones you own, or just between the K701 and HD600?

I want a headphone that does vocals well, and has excellent detail and soundstage. It seems, from what I've read, that the AKG 701 would be the choice for this. But it is also the more expensive option. I can find both headphones for about the same price, but the HD600's cable upgrades appear cheaper.

7. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Wolverine -

Surf over to head-fi.org There are lots of head-fiers in Chicago. You may be able to connect with some folks who would be willing to let you listen to headphone and amp combinations or there may even be a headphone meet in the future where you can demo lots of product. Listen to a lot of product and then decide what is best according to your ears and then act on that knowledge.

8. wolverine

I'm already a longtime member of Head-Fi (and already recognized Voltron), and even demoed the HD600 at Ray's place. I thought I'd get some impressions from Steve, since I know he owns both, and has a particular perspective I seek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.