Linn LP 12 Dustcover Hinges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shakey, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shakey

Shakey New Member Thread Starter

Anyone here know where I can get a pair, besides going to a Linn dealer?

There must be some better built ones than the pair Linn supplies.

Thanks!

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I see them on Ebay from time to time. I have no intention on replacing mine, I always remove the cover when spinning anyway.

Jeff

3. SCompRacer

SCompRacer Forum Resident

Once upon a time I had an LP12 and I repaired the broken hinges using two 3/32" drill bits. See this thread for details and pics.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

I haven't seen any except from a Linn Dealer. I never use mine with the cover on anyway.

5. Shakey

Shakey New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, I saw this once before and while $40.00 is not a lot of money, it is for something that is destined to break.

6. If I recall correctly, I was parting out a Sony turntable, and upon removing the hinges, I noticed their similarity to the Linn hinges (in fact, I was able to use them with a Linn dustcover). Perhaps that's one of the reasons that the aftermarket ones are similar, if not exactly like the originals (I'm sure Linn doesn't make their own, as it is a small item that is likely cheaper to outsource). Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure if the newer ones have been improved over the older ones.

7. simonrodan

simonrodan New Member

Another solution

Bing rather lazy I didn't want to start drilling holes in things so I simply cut a thin but quite strong piece of metal (a hacksaw blade) with a pair of tin snips I slid (with some encouragement from a small hammer) this between the end of the spring and the plastic case which the spring had popped though. By spreading the load from end of the spring over a larger area than one point at the the edge of the lid side of the hinge, the plastic is holding up (for the moment anyway). Took about 5 minutes onces I had found right material (the hacksaw blade).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.