Is the source for 1982 12" "Love Me Do" single the master tape, or was master lost?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

In 1982 the UK and Japan (and maybe other countries) pressed a "20th Anniversary" Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You 12" single.

On one side is the original, Ringo-on-drums take of Love Me Do, on the other is the Andy-White-on-drums take of Love Me Do, plus P.S. I Love You.

However, on the 1980 release of the U.S. Rarities LP, the original, Ringo-on-drums take of Love Me Do was a needle-drop, because -- according to the liner notes on the back cover -- the master tape had been "lost."

Did they happen to find the master tape in the ensuing two years and use it on the 1982 12" single?

Or if not, what did they use for the master of the 1982 12" single?

And for those who've heard both the the UK and JPN "20th Anniversary" Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You 12" single, is there any difference in sound quality between the two of them?

2. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The 1982 12" release of "Love Me Do(Version One) is a dub from vinyl,specifically a UK single.This dub was later cleaned up further for the "Past Masters Vol.1" CD.
    Though Version One was also released on a Capitol Canada single,it has now been established that the Canadian tape was itself a dub from the UK vinyl.When the song appears on the U.S.A. "Rarities" album,it was dubbed from a Canadian vinyl single,hence you're getting two layers of vinyl noise and distortion.
    The "Past Masters Vol.1" release is the best available.The original mixdown master(and the original 2-track session tape) were intentionally destroyed/disposed of in early 1963,following the decision to use the version with session drummer Andy White(and Ringo on tambourine) on the group's UK debut album "Please Please Me".

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

So the original UK single is the only pressing that comes from a tape source, correct?

4. lemonjello

lemonjello Forum Resident

Good luck finding one. :cry:

Jake

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

So the version on the "Past Masters Vol.1" CD sounds better than the UK or JPN 12" vinyl single?!

6. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Where does it say that LMD on the US RARITIES LP came from a Canadian 45? (I have the LP, and nowhere does it state that the source disc used was of Canadian origin.)

According to Graham Newton, who mastered the Canadian Capitol record at the RCA Victor studios in Toronto, where he then worked, he didn't get a tape made from a disc--EMI sent a 45 to Canada that he dubbed to new lacquers to make the masters for their pressings.

7. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Yes.

8. readingm

readingm Senior Member

Besides "Love Me Do," is there any other reason to own either of the 'Past Masters' sets?

9. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I believe Sweden issued the Ringo version as a single in early '63. The Canadian Capitol 45 is dubbed from a Parlphone disk.

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Is it all that difficult? I have a pretty good one...don't remember if it was hard to get...

11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

As for availability: Most, if not all, 1960s Parlophone 45s of "Love Me Do" have the Ringo-on-drums version, whether the white label promo, red label or black label, or so I am led to believe. Look for "7XCE 17144-1N" in the trail-off. The Andy-White-on-drums version is "7XCE 17144-2N". Evidently, the original stampers were used longer than most people suspected.

EMI may not have replaced the "Love Me Do" master on UK 45s until 1976 and the reissue of the entire singles catalog in those green sleeves.

"Love Me Do" is the Andy-White-on-drums version on the Please Please Me LP and on The Beatles' Hits EP.

Dinstun likes this.
  12. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

EMI must still have (a) production copy(ies) then somewhere...

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Yep, there are 32 other reasons.

Exotiki, Dinstun and mahanusafa02 like this.
  14. I can confirm this; a friend of mine has a black label copy with the 1N matrix.

15. readingm

readingm Senior Member

I should have been more specific. I meant to ask is there any reason to own either of these strictly based on the sound quality of specific tracks. If this is the best place to find this version of "Love Me Do," are there any other tracks where the mastering would be considered definitive?

16. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

wait, so the past masters version on CD is better than the EP box CD version??

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The EMI Sweden version is Not A Needle Drop! EMI sent metalwork from the UK for this. Your only other non-needle drop version is a UK original. All other later versions are needle drops including Canada.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

True, however I'd say maybe 99% of the pressings are on the original red label. Black label pressings are rare and pricey.

19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Different recordings!

20. So the EP box has the Andy White on drums recording, eh?

21. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I believe Ron Furmanek, who worked on the US Rarities album, confirmed (possibly here on the forum) that it was his Canadian copy that was used.

I don't have access to my copy right now, but I think it's also mentioned in Bruce Spizer's The Beatles Swan Song book, isn't it?

22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I can't think of any of the stereo tracks that are better sounding elsewhere on CD. The mono tracks (first 5 and the German songs on PM I and track 15 on PM II) can be found with better sound on the EP and Singles boxes.

I'd say the Past Masters CDs are essential if you want those stereo mixes.

:)

23. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

just to make sure I understand: the vinyl EP has the ringo, the CD EP has the white?

24. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

No. All EPs have the White version.

25. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

got it - I misread an earlier post of yours - thanks :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.