Rolling Stones in MONO?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll Thread Starter

I have searched the internet for facts and couldn't find anything...

I know that the following albums were released in mono at the time:

AFTERMATH UK
    AFTERMATH US
    GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT!
    BIG HITS US
    BIG HITS UK
    BETWEEN THE BUTTONS UK
    BETWEEN THE BUTTONS US
    FLOWERS
    THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST
    BEGGARS BANQUET
    THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY UK
    THROUGH THE PAST DARKLY US
    LET IT BLEED

Does someone have any information regarding these? Are they all just fold-downs or mixed properly into mono?

Is it like the Beatles, with BIG differences in stereo & mono or what?

I appreciate your help.
    Thanks.
    MHP

2. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

3. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

The UK Aftermath and US Between the Buttons are dedicated mono mixes. There is some dispute about Beggars Banquet other than "Sympathy for the Devil" (which is a dedicated mono mix, with little or no on Jagger's opening shouts). The consensus is that the mono Let It Bleed is a fold-down.

Paul

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Their Satanic Majesties Request is a dedicated mono mix as well. It was also (mistakenly) re-pressed sometime in the 70's or early 80's, with the blue London Stereophonic label.

One Louder likes this.
  5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Satanic Majesties was the last Rolling Stones LP to be released in mono in the US, so "Through The Past Darkly", "Beggar's Banquet", and "Let It Bleed" can only be found in mono on UK pressings. There may have been mono pressings of those three titles in Brazil or Indonesia (for example), but they were very likely fold-downs of the stereo masters.

Classicolin likes this.
  6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Virtually all pre-Aftermath Rolling Stones are mono only.

Evan

7. Lord Hawthorne

I've been told that "Let It Bleed" is a real mono mix, but I hear nothing different. Same with most of "Beggar's Banquet".

8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

No less a Stones vinyl collector extraordinaire than John Rutherford has always insisted the mono Let It Bleed is dedicated, and he calls it sublime.

I've never heard it, so I couldn't say, but I'd be inclined to trust JR on this one.

9. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

The mono's sound pretty good to me. A different experience.

10. buddahbelly

buddahbelly Member

Listening to LIB mono now and it's a VERY tough call...but I lean towards dedicated as well....A fold-down would have been muddier and the level of reverb in the mix is quiet a bit drier at many points

11. MHP

So "Aftermath", "Between The Buttons" & "Their Satanic Majesties Request" are all dedicated mono mixes. Ok.

Then what about "Got Live If You Want It!" ?

And what what about those unigue songs on "Flowers"; My Girl, Ride on baby & Sittin' on a fence???

12. tages

tages Senior Member

You have to get a US copy of "Satanic Majesties" to hear the mono mix, the UK is a fold-down (found out the hard way). However, the UK mono "Through The Past Darkly" uses the dedicated mono mixes of "Rainbow" and "2,000 Light Years" and they sound great! The mono "Let It Bleed" sounds great but I too hear no differences in the mix. Get a UK mono "Between The Buttons" though - GREAT dedicated mix - "Yesterday's Papers" has an extra chorus even!

Classicolin and fallbreaks like this.
  13. MHP

Gosh!

Thanks for you answer, tages!
    Very useful!

Another question though:

"My Girl", "Ride On, Baby" & "Sittin' On A Fence"

-are those tracks dedicated mono mixes or just fold downs???

14. Lord Hawthorne

Dedicated mono mixes.

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Was the U.S. released Aftermath a dedicated mono mix?

16. peter

peter Senior Member

If JR says something Stones-wise, BELIEVE IT.

17. peter

peter Senior Member

I agree that the UK mono Satanic sounds awful, but how did you conclude it was a fold-down?

18. tages

tages Senior Member

A couple people posted samples on here of the US mix, and it was obvious once I played the "Darkly" tracks that they were dedicated mixes, they are different than the mixes on my UK mono "Majesties". The easiest way to tell is the solo in "2,000 Light Years" - if the volume goes down a bit at one point, it's a fold-down.

19. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I second this. The lack of a dedicated mix in the UK I mean. I like the sound of the UK mono TSMR.

Does anyone else know this to be true and why would they not use the dedicated mix in the UK?

20. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

I can't prove it but I'd be very surprised if the UK Satanic wasn't a dedicated mono mix. I have a copy, not heard it in a while, but I recall there are differences. BTW true mono mixes of Satanic tracks appear on the 3CD/(SACD if ur lucky) Singles COllection set.

Where it was discussed before I think we concluded the US mono was the same mix, but a better mastering jov than the UK.

In 1967, preparing seperate mono/stereo mixes was still very much the norm in the UK.

JJ

21. tages

tages Senior Member

There was an earlier thread about this, and the conclusion was that the US and Canada got the dedicated mixes and the UK got fold-downs, just on this particular album. One listen to both is all it takes to confirm - again, I found out the hard way after spending money on a mint UK. When I heard the US samples posted here, and the tracks on the "Darkly" UK mono, it was obvious they were dedicated mixes - the UK "Majesties" is NOT!!!! (unfortunately). By the way, the same thing happened with The Easybeats "Good Friday" LP (also from '67). Recorded in the UK, but the UK mono is a fold-down, the US counterpart LP "Friday On My Mind" (with one different track) is a dedicated mix - again, found out the hard way!

22. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Listening to mono "Flowers" right now. Is there a good site which details the differences between Rolling Stones' mono and stereo mixes?

alchemy likes this.
  23. peter

peter Senior Member

I see you point. ALthough I have only played my mono Darkly a few times, I remember it sounding amazing. Now I know why.

24. peter

peter Senior Member

Anyone know about Buttons? The last time I played my UK mono it sounded anemic to me. I wrote that off as an album that sounds better in stereo, due to its primarily acoustic nature.

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I haven't heard the UK Buttons. I have the US one though and the mono mix rocks. I've heard the Canadian mono and have the Canadian mono Flowers and both of those do sound "anemic". The 2 shared cuts on my Canadian Flowers and Buttons LP's sound much better on the U.S. Buttons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.