Thanks to Jeff Dorgay of TONE AUDIO & Todd The Vinyl Junkie I'm in Headphone Heaven!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can you believe the change in my stuff before and after the Head-Fi convention?

Before, I had a pair of cans plugged into my old 1988 CD player and indifferent sound. NOW, thanks to care packages from both Jeff and Todd:

Headphone systems: Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline II Raptor tubed Headphone Amplifier, WooAudio 6 Single-Ended Class A Tubed Headphone Amplifier, Channel Islands Audio VHP-1 Mark II Solid State Headphone amp, Sennheiser HD-600 headphones with Cardas cable and Stefan Audio Arts Equinox cable upgrades, AKG K-701, Oritek Audio X-2 interconnects

I haven't done this much headphone listening since I was on the air at KPFK when I was 18. This stuff sounds a lot better than my old Koss Pro-4AA's plugged into a Pioneer receiver!

Thanks, Jeff, Todd and Head-Fi people!

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I've been listening over an hour a night before bed for over a year now. I don't think I've had the bedroom TV on once since then. I've got the squeezebox set up next to the bed and all my cd's are instantly available.

Btw, I've got the Sennheiser 650'sw/Cardas cable and use several amps. By my bed is an XCAN3, but I'd consider upgrading it now that I enjoy phone listening so much.

3. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Hey dude:

Dont forget the coolio rewired 701's you have on the way from Ken Ball at ALO audio.com.....

Those are out of this world. Knew we'd make a headphone junkie out of you and that will come in handy with the new munchkin!!

:)

4. Steve Hoffman

Didn't want to jinx that by mentioning it.

Can't wait; your pair sounded really dreamy.

5. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Those were Ken's personal pair. I don't have a pair yet....

They are dreamy indeed!!!

6. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I'd be curious to see if this new perspective affects how you master stuff.

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Glad to see your starting to get into headphones Steve. The Emmeline is top of the shelf stuff and the 600's are still some of the finest sounding cans around. Headphone rigs have really developed a lot over the years, I use old school Joe Grado HP-1000 studio monitors with a Moth SET S2A3 tubed amp for my personal rig, and it really brings the musical goods.

8. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

You can't beat a good pair of headphones/amp when your newborn is screaming his head off and all you hear is Monk riffing on the piano... :D

I bought my Sugden Headmaster Amp and Senn 600's before my first kid was born. Used it all the time for the first six months while rocking him and walking around the room. Really got to love headphones - getting me more in the music venue and the interaction among players. Have gotten away from it the past three years, but will be back to headphones very soon when my new one arrives... :righton:

9. Steve Hoffman

My mastering style is the same as ever. Cans won't change it. By the way, never master or mix on headphones. A true no no.

10. 81828384

81828384 Forum Resident

Hmph, and nary a Singlepower amplifier to be seen! :shake: ;)

[​IMG]

This is what you need. :agree:

11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Would you care to elaborate? Does mastering or mixing on cans not give you accurate results? Just curious...

12. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

If you at all want a portable source, I strongly, strongly recommend my iModded iPod. It is amazing. You can read about them on the head-fi forum. I am in love with mine. I prefer listening to speakers, but the best sound I have right now is my Shure E5c <-- Go-Vibe 5 <-- iMod.

http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

13. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

That single power amp is KILLER! I heard it at the head fi national meet last year and was blown away. Best headphone sound Ive ever heard. (arent they about 12k?) Expensive but worth it!

If you cant afford one of those, the new Woo Audio 300B amp we reviewed for 3k was very nice too.

Single power is the ultimate though.....

14. Steve Hoffman

Mixing on cans throws you off, gives you false mix levels, false EQ values and bad compression ratios. No recording engineer mixes on phones unless it's a live remote without monitors (like you see pictures of from the 1940's, with the engineer with cans).

Headphones are for listening.:)

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Cool, that makes it more clear for me. Not saying I have much experience mixing, but I do appreciate your response:righton:

16. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Headphones are good for fixing small details like pops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.