has all the best music already been made?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phish, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phish

phish Jack Your Body Thread Starter

i rarely listen to the radio, but occasionally i'll let the missus play it in the car. seems every song that comes on is using some old hook or melody or something from a song 10, 15, 20 or more years ago. just look at all the sample heavy music coming out today.... hip hop? it's damn near all samples.

every now and then it seems as if someone catches lightning in a bottle and i hear something that new or innovative, but otherwise it's the ssdd (same **** different day).

am i the only one that is noticing this?

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

No. It's like asking if all the best food has already been made.

3. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

Absolutely not. You just have to look a little harder for the top-notch stuff today... if you listen to Top-40 radio or watch American Idol to get your music, you're going to be disappointed.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I've heard advanced copies of the new Queens of the Stone Age, White Stripes, and Beastie Boys albums, so I'd say no, there is still good music on the way.

5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Nope but perhaps all the best music of a style or styles you can relate to has.

6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I would say yes to the question, but there will always be worthwhile songwriting, musicianship, etc.

Dan

7. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I cannot beleve this is even a thread question I am 52 and i find new great music and artist all the time. Between internet radio, all the free cds that come with Music magazines and just general talk on this board and others.. I cannot keep up.

8. il pleut

il pleut New Member

yes, chubber checker has retired.

9. phish

but is the music fresh and new or just repackaged bits of yesteryear?

(i'm not arguing with you, just discussing.)

10. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

he may have, whoever "chubber checker" is, but chubby checker still has dates lined up through new years

11. il pleut

il pleut New Member

it's his sister, chubber i meant. but if chubby's still going, there's still hope. thank you.

12. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Who knows about music, but it certainly looks like the best thread subjects have already been created and discussed. :cool:

13. phish

yeah, you are probably right.

14. rockfeat

rockfeat Forum Farmer

I'm 53 and totally agree. And yes,I hear new things that still get my attention. And I also agree that I don't even have enough time to keep up with it all. Carbon Leaf is an example of a new band that has made some very good music...without samples and without sounding just like anyone else.

15. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I'm 41, and I say: YES, without a doubt !

16. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

There's a lot of great music coming out today, but one doesn't need to be force fed from the tube of the mainstream in order to hear it. Christine Bougie, Decomposure, Pelican, Rosehill, and anyone familiar with Bonnie Ste-Croix? I know she's been out for a few years but her Here I Am is easily one of the best albums I've heard this year.

There's a lot out there. Just take the time to look, because some of the best stuff out now will be music you're not going to hear on the radio or find at Best Buy. Believe it or not, even the new Tiffany album isn't too bad.

17. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

I used to think that might be the case - but there's good music being made everyday. If I didn't think so I wouldn't be in an original rock band :) .

Basically you have to dig a little and hit the streets, drop into the clubs, and scour the net to find new music you'll enjoy. Or else the parade of top 40 nonsense and over-abundance of "here today gone tomorrow" artists is quite depressing.

Same thing with TV - I thought there was nothing worth watching anymore. Then thanks to some good friends I caught up on Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, The Office (UK), etc. Seek and you shall find!

18. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Even though I prefer older stuff, all I can say about good current music is, "The Decemberists."

19. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

I think many great music is in coming, I have discover many great new music in last years, so many that I have no time enough to hear all the music I bought.

But is a hard thing compare it with the giants in the past, to me I prefer not do it. The great music created in the past take a special place in my collection, but that doesn't mean that I won't listen to new music, actually I am avid of new music.

20. nin

nin Forum Resident

Nothing new of value have come after Mozart.

21. tunes99

tunes99 Forum Resident

I understand the feeling, and I like the older stuff too, particulary when it comes to bands, but there's some great individual stuff out there right now.

Pick up anything by Matt Wertz, particulary his new one with Carolina and 5:19 on it. Alos look for "Counting to 100."

Or Dave Barnes "Mississippi" CD and try "Stay Away", my favorite song from last year.

Or Josh Rouse's "Nashville" CD and play "It's the Nightlife," "Carolina," "Saturday" or "Middle School Frown."

These guys will make you think of Jackson Browne, James Taylor, and Dan Fogelberg, etc.

And finally, when it comes to today's groups, listen to the latest Little Big Town CD. Their a country band that, I'm not kidding, sounds a lot like like Fleetwood Mac, particularly on "Boondocks"!

22. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The music scene has changed. If there is little out there in terms of popular music, it's because of the labels. They have taken the general pop music genre and compartmentalized it into marketing sectors. You could miss a good new song because clear channel thinks it doesn't belong on that station. Also, it seems people who recycle old music by sampling and remakes get a lot of attention. Maybe the labels get so worried people won't like new original artists, and they won't pay to cultivate them, that it's getting worse and the best new music out there is not being marketed, so you have to hunt them down for yourself.

23. alameda5

alameda5 New Member

I think like any type of musical genre, it probably has been done before. I mean it's hard to push the boundries today. That doesn't mean there is no good music anymore.

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

There's always some new music coming out. The Killers rock.

25. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

The problem is that there is so damn much good stuff out there, you have trouble getting through the chaff. I could list a ton of great stuff--- The Grip Weeds, Emily Wells, Maggi Pierce & EJ, Luminescent Orchestrii, Carrie Biell. Ten to one, you've not heard any of them. Every once in awhile on these very Forum pages, I get turned onto someone I've not heard of and am blown away. There is more music out there than ever. It's just a matter of finding it.

No more having it dropped into your pocket by the industry. The best stuff, to my ears, is all indie.

Frank G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.