Genesis Remix v. Orignal Clip...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

As a recording engineer it's been incredibly frustrating for me to see how many people find the Genesis remixes not only acceptable but superior to the originals. I wondered how much manipulation it would take for me to make the original mixes sound as harsh and compressed as the remixes.

I took the first track from ...And Then There Were Three... (original Atlantic CD) and ran it through some EQs and compressors and digital limiter while A/Bing it with the remix.

Here are my final EQ settings:

+15dB @ 7.5 kHz shelving
    +9.5dB @ 16 kHz
    +9dB @ 1.5 kHz
    +7.5dB @ 250 Hz
    +4dB @ 50Hz

But it still wasn't quite harsh enough so I patched in a second EQ:

+7.5dB @ 3 kHz
    + 10dB @ 125 Hz

Then I hooked up my SSL compressor (the same one Nick used) and did 4dB of gain reduction @ 10:1 (the highest ratio it has). Still wasn't enough so I hooked up my Pendulum 6386 Vari-Mu compressor and did another 4dB of compression.

Now I was beginning to hear some similarities between the two. I also ran it through a digital peak limiter taking off another 2dB and we have a match. The kick drum and vocals are louder on the remix but the rest is pretty similar.

Here's the order of what you're listening to... Original Atlantic CD unaltered, the Remix and then the original Atlantic CD pummeled with EQ, compression and limiting.

Take a listen to the clip and let everyone know how much you still love the remixes. :)

THE CLIP IS HERE

2. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Still got the kitchen sink in reserve I see, eh Jamie? :winkgrin:

3. Jamie Tate

My ears hurt!

4. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Good God, Jamie. That is truly awful to listen to. :laugh:

Your doctored clip still sounds more dynamic than the remix. :shh:

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I can't say any more than I already did. Atrocious.

Good work Jamie. It's like taking a good steak and turning it into Spam.

6. John Cantrell

HUH!? WHAT DID YOU SAY!?

7. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

:hurl:

That's insane! This comparison should be listened to by everyone.

Jamie, your deliberate destruction actually sounds *better* than the remix.

8. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Well (badly) done, Jamie. Scary.

It's like putting lunchmeat into a sandwich with glass bread - you can clearly perceive which bits are getting squished and distorted.

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It boggles my mind how anyone can think that the remixes sound better. No offense people, but it's a mystery.

10. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Yeah, it's not as if the original Atlantic CD is a bit muted or dull sounding. :shake:

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

An Atco Trick Of The Tail comparison would really show how bad things got.

12. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

I honestly think that the "Turn It On Again" remix on the Platinum Collection sounded worse. :D

The remixes are weird either way, though...

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's always me and Jamie (sorry, Jamie and I ;))going on about these.......we must be the most hated men at genesis.com!:)

14. Jamie Tate

They deactivated my account! :laugh:

15. Jamie Tate

I know. Incredible! :shake:

16. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Wow, I'm glad I cancelled my Pre-order on the SACD-NTSC box since it never seemed to get here anyway.

this sonic debacle has really curbed my love for this band I have to say.

thanks for sharing Jamie. fascinating.

17. John Cantrell

Don't let it do that. My digital Genesis catalog is in great shape with either original Virgin-Charismas or original Atco/Atlantics, as the case may be.

18. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Fascinating, but truly, truly sad.

19. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

20. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

It wont last, :winkgrin: i love them really... but this box remix scenarios is bumming me out. I've got several decent cds and some vinyl and 7" singles etc. I been into this band for a mightly long time, but man after waiting for this and then having to wait and wait and wonder if i'm ever gonna get it, i decided to cancel it completely.
    and then i heard this and i was like ok, well money well saved.

now i can buy a couple of their live concerts from the european tour

i got this earlier, i'm sure its in other threads already...

Genesis Official Site | Join the Genesis Fan Club

GENESIS AND THEMUSIC ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE....

Genesis and the Encore Series team at TheMusic.com have joined forces to bring you the Genesis Encore Series Europe 2007. Each show of the Genesis European Tour will be recorded LIVE OFF THE SOUNDBOARD by the Genesis team and pressed into high-quality manufactured 2-CD sets, not CD-r's. Shows can be purchased as a complete set (all 23 shows) in either our Collectors Edition Box or Deluxe Limited Edition numbered Road Case.

For those unable to attend one of the European concerts on this tour, the Encore Series offers a chance for you to experience Genesis from home, and for those of you that do see a show, an opportunity to relive the experience again and again....

As a special bonus, all existing Genesis-Music.com Premium Members receive an immediate 10% discount on ALL Genesis Encore Series Items. If you are a Premium members, watch for a second email with instructions on how to get your discount. Not a Premium member yet? Don't miss out any longer - join now and receive your discount instructions by email (please allow 24-48 hours for processing )!

21. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Just THAT move is a big:eek:

I'll be listening later. I fully expect to have antacid nearby.

Dan

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'm one of the mods there and I am in the minority of those who do NOT like these remixes. I've caught some hell from people there. But I don't give a rats @$$ :love: I know to trust my ears. I actually turned a fellow forum member onto this place. I won't even go into how I tried to explain the drawbacks to these remixes. If I had and would've used wav files pics...it'd have been deleted. :shake:

Nothing can ever top the original mix of Trick...NEVER! Especiqlly a mint Atco vinyl I have. Maybe not as good as a Charisma or MFSL but I like it.

That site is rather tedious anymore...same old stuff...Collins vs Gabriel...best songs, best albums, prog prog prog...folks here at Hoffman's have a much nicer variety of tastes. :agree:

23. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Gonna start calling Jamie "Doctor Sinister". Remember him?

Those EQ moves are something similar to what I use to use in my old Pontaic Gran Prix with the crappy Big Brute speakers and equalizer, just to get it to sound acceptable. Maybe Tony Banks' owns this now.

24. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I ordered the Genesis box at the local Barnes & Noble. Once ordered, you are not obligated to pick it up. That's what I told them. I'm not interested!

25. What the ? If I want to listen to something that sounds like FM radio, I switch my radio on. I can't believe the band had the best part of the decision making on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.