Clair Marlo - "Let It Go" CD or SACD ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anduandi, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member Thread Starter

Which is the one to have ?

Achim

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Grab the SACD. Clair remastered it from the original analog tapes.

3. anduandi

Thanks Steve ! :wave:
    Just ordered it for a good price (19.99 $, incl. shipping to Germany). :righton:

Achim

4. Steve Hoffman

I saw Clair over Easter holiday (we dated for 6 years). I am going to be remastering a bunch of stuff for her on LP, SACD, etc..

Macman007 likes this.
  5. mteinum

mteinum Forum Resident

I have this: IH 1001, one of the finest sounding record in my collection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so... do I need the SACD also?

hurray :)

6. Steve Hoffman

You don't need the SACD; that one will do!

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It's a great SACD. I've had it for 18 months or so, and this is the first time it's come up here, as far as I can remember. Happy to get more of her on SACD, especially when digitally mastered by SH. Steve, let us know more about these when you can. Thanks.

8. anduandi

Unfortunately I received the HDCD instead of the SACD I ordered. But it sounds very nice so I will keep it. The seller refunded my money immediately and offered me to keep the CD. :righton:
    Achim

9. tps

tps Forum Resident

I've had the original Sheffield Lab disc since the day it came out. One of the few discs that was so well produced and engineered with musicians of high caliber that it prompted me to write to Sheffield Lab and tell them how much I enjoyed it. This was, of course, well before email or the web had become commonplace, so I had to write via snail mail. The title track, "Let It Go" is, for me much more satisfying than Luba's version, although I have the Luba track on LP. I've always been fond of "A Major Technicality", also. This is a great disc; not a bad track on it.

I picked up Clair's second disc "Behaviour Self" also (mastered by SH). Another great disc. I guess Clair did such a great job on "Let It Go" that I'd have been disappointed had her second disc been anything but great.

Steve, any word on that thrid album it seems like she's been working on forever? I'd love to pick up a copy when it comes out...

10. Steve Hoffman

It's in the can and I'll be mastering it. Waiting for the right distributor I guess...

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

How about the Clair Marlo "Let It Go" on Cisco Music vinyl?
    Does it sound good too?

12. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Based on the couple of tracks I heard from my Boston Acoustics "Up Closer" CD sampler, the SACD is quite a bit better sounding.

14. tps

tps Forum Resident

Well, apparently the new album "Trinity" is still not out, but "Let It Go" has been re-released yet again as "Rediscovered". Does anyone know anything about the mastering of this re-release? I've had the original Sheffield CD for years. Maybe it's time to try a more recent remaster...

http://cdbaby.com/cd/clairmarlo
    http://www.agcrecords.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=2

Edit: looks like "Rediscovered" is an anthology, with some tracks from both "Let It Go" and "Behaviour Self"...

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have the SACD. It's very good.

16. Steve Hoffman

Clair is a great person. I'm going to see her on Sunday for little Michael's birthday bash.

I'll give her all of your regards...:wave:

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm reviving an old thread here but have a question on this CD. I have heard it is a fine sounding CD so I ordered a copy off of Amazon. Are all the releases of the Let It Go CD by Sheffield Labs and are they all HDCD?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000009EG/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Here is a link to an SACD version for sale on Audiogon. I thought about it but at $100.00 its a little steep for an album I have never heard. But maybe someone here has been looking for the SACD.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?softjazs&1313084483

Bill

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thought I would give this a little bump to see if anyone has any thoughts on my questions about the Let It Go CD :).

Bill

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I only have the Sheffield 24K disc. I think it a straight reissue and was not remastered for Sheffield's Gold disc.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Claus,

Thanks for your response :). Would you believe the straight CD (not the 24K) would be a Sheffield HDCD release?

Bill

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't believe the first release was released as HDCD.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Claus,

Thanks once again :).I should have the CD later this week so I will know then. I was just curious as to how many releases there were of this CD.

Bill

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I received Let It Go the other day and the version I got is not the HDCD version. I find that Clair Marlo has a very nice voice but the music is very '80s and not what I was expecting. The recording sounds very good although not what I would consider to be an audiophile grade recording as some reviews have stated.

Bill

24. I have Clair's Sheffield recordings on both LP and CD...Doug Sax did a great job with her music back in the day!!! Steve...you dated Clair AND married Karla? You lucky dog!!!:love:

25. JonasR

JonasR Forum Resident

On the Sheffield CD-29 it says 1989, HDCD wasn't used at that time.
    This is the only version I have, so I don't know how it compares to other versions.
    Til They Take My Heart Away and Let it Go are my favorite tracks.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.