Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young "So Far" orig. CD. An old friend back again!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 26, 2007.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks to a tip by Luke, this gem, mastered by our own Barry Diament at Atlantic Studios is mine again. I foolishly gave mine away when I, er, "upgraded" to a later remastered version. Mistake! This original CD release has it all; the sound I remember, the unmolested unprocessed version of OHIO and a nice song selection, perfect for that mood when you want to hear a little CSN&Y.

A tip if you have this old CD and you have a parametric EQ and feel like fiddling. I think OHIO needs a db at 3400 and 6k and HELPLESSLY HOPING needs 2 db out at 3400. This is no slam against Barry D. He faithfully reproduced the exact sound of the original mixes on CD (something that Barry does very well). I'd rather hear it like this even without those little EQ tweaks I mentioned above than the remastered versions of these songs which are so over the top it's pointless.

At any rate, especially if you want to hear OHIO the way it was recorded and mixed (and you don't have the old Atlantic LP version of SO FAR), this is what you need to find.

Got this one on eBay for 10 bucks. Totally worth it.

Look for Atlantic A2 19119 "Made in USA by JVC"

If you hunt for a copy on line, make sure it sez:

"Mastered By Barry Diament At Atlantic Studios" inside the booklet!!!

Happy hunting and thanks again Luke for the tip. I had felt really bad that I let my original CD of this go. Also, thanks Barry for having the good mastering sense to let the songs and their original sound speak for themselves.

2. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

Just got one on eBay from ilovemusic1969 for 9.99. Thanks for the tip.

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Thanks, Steve...
    and Berry!!!

4. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

and Luke

BIG ED likes this.
  5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Mine is 19119 / Mastered By Barry Diament At Atlantic Studios.

Manufactured by Cinram, distributed by WEA Canada.

Would this be the same one? Probably.... I like it. :)

DRM likes this.
  6. I have this CD from BMG from years ago, made in USA by WEA Mfg. It sounds great.

This CD should be a clone from WEA Mfg, JVC Disc America, Record Service Germany, and Cinram in Canada and fairly easy (and cheap!) to find used.

Steve's version is a Columbia House issue:

SD 19119-2 Atlantic retail issue
    SD 19119-2 BMG Club no barcode D130230 club number
    A2-19119 Columbia House

All the same except the labelling

McLover likes this.
  7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I just grabbed one from Amazon...made in USA by Sanyo...Barry mastered...

Did not own this CD at all...do have the vinyl....

8. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Just got mine from our Classifieds. Wonderful sound.

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Heck if you're a fan just get Barry's versions of CSN (Couch Album) and Deja Vu. They also sound wonderful, I already have Ohio on Decade.

10. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Now wondering if the 'Ohio' found on the NY comp 'Decade' is messed with at all?
    I have the BD versions of the first two albums, and had contented myself with having Ohio on this compilation, but am curious now..

11. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

I found one of these recently, and it does sound very nice. I now have all of the original CSN and CSNY CDs and I like them much better than any of the remasters. Thanks Steve! (for the heads up) and Barry! (for the mastering)

12. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I have the Atlantic SD 19119-2 CD that was manufactured in Japan and mastered by Barry Diament. "Made In Japan By Matsushita Electric Ind. Co. Ltd" is stated on the outer rim of the CD. Just another variation to look for.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I still have mine and this is the proper way to listen to this cd. Barry did great work as always. :agree:

Steve, if I had known you were after this I'd have given you one of mine...I have mine from the late 80's as well as a copy my dad gave when he bought the remaster...I've always held on to it. :)

14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I've been under the assumption that one easy way of recognizing the Diament mastering (aside from the credit, of course) is by the presence of that bit of "Come On in My Kitchen" just before "49 Bye Byes", which was removed for the later remasters. Is this correct?

15. rpd

rpd Senior Member

How can I identify a Barry Deja Vu? I have a made in West Grmany By Polygram silver hub disc (looks like a target...without the target design) catalog number SD 19118-2 Europe 250 001. No mention of mastering engineer in the booklet....

Do I have Barry's?

How can I identify the Barry "Couch" CD?

16. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

You're opening up a whole can of worms right there. :-popcorn:

17. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi rpd,

The numbers you describe on your copy of "Deja Vu" are the same numbers on my original, also pressed by Polygram in Germany.

My copy of the original "Couch" CD was pressed by WEA in the US and has catalog #19117-2 and UPC code 0-7567-81516-2.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

wrappedinsky likes this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not aware of any "secret" remasters of either s/t or So Far, so for those two, it's just a matter of looking for the correct catalog number - matrix numbers shouldn't matter:

Crosby Stills & Nash (s/t)
    19117-2 (US)
    240 033 (Europe)

So Far
    19119-2 (US)
    (not sure what the Europe catalog number is)

For Deja Vu, I'm aware of 2 versions with the same catalog number. One has lots of dropouts, while the other has those sections fixed via splices from another tape (but is otherwise digitally identical). I'd assume most people would want the fixed version, but... Catalog numbers:

19118-2 (US)
    250 001 (Europe)

The matrix for the "bad" pressing will probably have something like "7567 19118-2" among other things. The "good" pressing should have "SRC" somewhere. Details here.

So Far seemed to be plentiful on eBay - I think last week I saw at least 4 copies (two of those going to Steve and I). s/t seems a little harder to find, although I did just recently find a copy. Deja Vu seems to be the hardest of the three to find, plus you have to different versions to contend with...

Oh, and if it wasn't clear, all of the remastered (1994?) CDs have new catalog numbers, so they are easy to distinguish.

raphph likes this.
  19. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Luke - the "good" pressing has SRC in the matrix too. See the next ten posts after this one - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1875291&postcount=7

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

So, my old one that looks like a target w/o the target design (made in West Germany by Polygram)...that has the matrix 7567 19118-2 2895 821 02 * is NOT the one to have?

21. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, Andreas' copy is the "good" one - he was just confused as to which version he had until I posted clips. See further in that thread.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Anyone know what the correct speed for Ohio is? I've got it on So Far (original CD), Decade (CD) and the CSN box set. The version on the box set is significantly slower than either of the other two versions. The box set also feels a bit "dark" and has less hiss. Wondering if that's EQ, NR or a different tape.

Find the Cost of Freedom is also significantly slower on the box set. Interestingly enough, on So Far, the left channel is brought in to the center a bit, while on the box set it is hard left. Something funny on the So Far tape maybe?

Barry, for So Far, I'm assuming you just used the precompiled copy master, rather than going back to the album (and single) masters?

24. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Luke,

We're out at the edge of memory again but if I recall correctly, I did "So Far" from the 1/2" analog "master" for the album.

It was common in those days, to assemble a collection or "Best of" type album by making 1:1 copies of each of the tunes from the original albums they were sourced from and assembling the copied tracks into a new "master". This was most likely the case with "So Far" but for this one, the copies were made using 1/2" tape instead of the more common 1/4".

At the time I did "So Far", they'd just give me a tape and let me know they wanted a CD master made from it. As time went on, I was able to make some of the calls myself and for albums like "The Ultimate Rascals" and "The Ultimate Otis Redding", I took each track from the original album sources.

I was able to depart from the practice of assembled copies as "masters" completely later on, when I went independent and formed BDA. For example, for Bob Marley's "Legend" and "Rebel Music" compilations, I went back and did the A-D transfer for each song using the original tracks from the original tapes. (This resulted in the restoration of a total of about 11 minutes of music on "Legend", which had previously had edited versions of a number of tracks.)

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

raphph, vegafleet and vonwegen like this.
  25. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

This is also on the Gastwirt remaster. Don't know about the most recent remaster....and Barry is not indicated on my Atlantic 'Couch' CD which is as he identified in post #17.....the only difference being that my copy is Made in Germany and has 240 033 on the hub (as well as 19117-2).