New MOFI Gold CDs coming - Allman Brothers and Linda Ronstadt

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Just got a new Music Direct e-mail and I see that MOFI has two new Gold CDs coming:

Allman Brothers - Idlewild South

Linda Ronstadt - First album for Aslyum Records.

Needless to say, they come in limited edition numbered sleeves - and I pre-ordered them.

I am going to order all MOFI Gold Discs/SACDs from now on so I don't get shut out like I did in thiers and DCCs heyday (and have to search ebay to get them).

2. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Ronstadt's Don't Cry Now will be Gold CD and vinyl LP. It's been under discussion at this thread ever since CD Universe posted incorrect information about a month ago. Glad to hear Idlewild South is also on the way. :righton:

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thank goodness it's not another Live at Filmore. Good choice Mofi.

4. MikeT

Didn't see that thread before. I did a search on the Allman Bros - didn't see any mention so thought both titles were newly announced.

Thanks.

5. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I had not heard about the Allman Brothers album. Good times.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Anyone know if this is going to be sold exclusively by them, or will it be available at regular online retailers (Amazon, deepdiscount, cduniverse, etc) like the recent Yes and Megadeth Mofi's were?

8. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

My only concern is that the publicity paragraphs imply that Tom Dowd produced the entire album. That leads me to worry about Please Call Home. Will it get red-headed stepchild treatment? Are its master mixes as available as the Dowd tracks? Will it come out again without adequate definition in the background sounds? I think the swooping/buzzing (most present in the intro) may be snare chains or maybe Leslie speaker effects. I'd like to hear that clearly once before I die.

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Excellent news for this ABB fan!

10. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

why is MOFI releasing the allman brothers as a gold cd and not a sacd? An audiophile company releasing things in less than high resolution. The pixies and cowboy junkies were recently released in sacd. What is the thought process there? previous allman brothers releases were in sacd. Why can't they release it as a hybrid? Why can't they release the stuff they are putting out on vinyl in high resolution as well. I think a monkey could run these companies better than the people there now.

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

AS HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE, they can only release it in the manner in which they can license the rights.

Of course, there may be other considerations, like SACD production capacity shrinking. And if you do a double layer, I believe you are required to pay a double royalty rate in the US.

12. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I'm pretty sure it's probably on the same master reel with the other tracks on side 2.

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Wow my favorite ABB album. Could be interesting .. could be great .. could be.. well.. you know.But wow mfsl doing some pretty decent titles here as of late. I mean when is the last time we had a title even close to Idlewild from mfsl??

Lets hope for the best!

14. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

IDLEWILD SOUTH!!! Yeah, bring it on :thumbsup:

15. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

MOFI's own site is not showing any of the 2 discs as being available for pre order.

16. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

AFAIK, all "new Mofi" releases were available through the normal CD retail channels. I ordered the recent Cowboy Junkies SACD on Amazon.fr.

18. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

What about Linda Ronstadt CD - is it worth getting? I don't think I heard a note of hers...Isn't she like some 70's american singer/songwriter?

19. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Good news, but I just hate it when they don't pair those very short albums ( Idlewild) with additional material :shake:

I always feel cheated somehow ...

They should have chosen "Beginnings" from a consumer point of view :D

20. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Yep not to forget Linda in my Idlewild glee. I think this first album is an interesting choice. Dont think its ever been done by an audiophile lable.I will most likely buy it if its done right though. Linda mastered correctly with a little umph in it is powerful stuff.

She is a singer from the 70's 80's and 90's. Had some hits with covers : Desperado...That'll be the day etc. She "belts" the notes out to me. But in a good way. Her fast belting stuff goes just so far with me.

But when she sings a ballad in that silky voice of hers.. well.. :love: .

I think a great song that she does that really does it for me concerning her is the song " Long Long Time" off of the "Silk Purse" album ;another early one . I was watching it on the Midnight Special video and its really magical.

Personally I like her sweet early stuff better so I probably will enjoy this from MFSL ( if its done right)

Oh , another area of Linda is the " Trio" album with Dolly Parton and Emmy Lou Harris. Great effort that first album imo. So she is a bit old RnR mixed with some country rock and one helluva powerful voice.

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

25 bucks for 30 minutes... (ABB). :(

22. MikeT

So are we more concerned about quantity over quality or quality over quantity (assuming the MFSL will be a "quality" release)?

I hear you when an audiophile release comes out at regular "expensive" price points when it offers less music. I think the same thing, for a minute :agree: , but then I forget about it when I think I might be getting a quality product (one better than currently available products).

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't understand Mofi... there are soooooooo many unreleased titles, why the heck... they must release the ABB. The regular remaster isn't bad (IMO)... a waste, except for ABB fans.

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I disagree.

the announcement of both titles is great news.

25. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

And new MFSL Linda R is a waste for non-fans, so is the MFSL Yes Fragile, Steve's DCC Gerry Rafferty etc...do you have a point, or are you just whining?

There's people here happy about the release...'nuff said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.