Great new DVD: Tom Hanks' extended version of "That Thing You Do!"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hawkman, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Well I just got done watching the DVD of Tom Hanks' cut of That Thing You Do and I have to say that I REALLY like it. As we all know on this board, sometimes cuts are made for good reasons. There is about 30 minutes of additional footage in the film and it really works!! The theatrical cut is in more of a 'pop' vein. Tom Hanks' cut delves a bit deeper into some of the characters and their relationships without making the film a drag. You see more of the relationship between Guy and Tina. More about Guy living on his own. More of the band rehearsing and playing, etc. Not to give too much away but there is an entire riot scene in Villipiano's Pizza joint that was cut from the film that is now back in. There is more seriousness and there is more comedy.

Perhaps the most surprising thing to me....well...let's just say that it involves a cameo by Howie Long. If you see the DVD you will see what I mean. It was one of those brief scenes where you think, "Hmm...could those two be...." :D

Even on my crappy stereo the disc sounds better than the previous DVD and there are more bonus features on the second disc than the previous DVD. It has the trailers and such that the previous DVD had along with the HBO:Behind The Scenes feature. The one that I enjoyed the most was the 'reunion' feature. No Liv Tyler and Steve Zahn must have taped his bit later but you see everyone else, including Charlize Theron, sitting around talking about the film making it, and the effect that it has had on them. It's nice to see that none of them think that they are 'too big' to do this sort of thing.

Of course you get BOTH the theatrical and extended versions of the film on the first disc.

One interesting little 'easter egg' that I found...when you put in the first disc and the menu comes up, you will see a little speed control on the record player in the lower right hand corner. If you move your cursor over to that speed control you can change the speed of the title song from 45 to 33 to 78 if you are so inclined. :)

2. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed review. I'm going to have to pick this up. :cool:

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thanks! I'm going to buy this ASAP!

4. Hawkman

Well I didn't want to get TOO detailed with what was new. If you know the film well, part of the fun in seeing the extended version is seeing what Tom Hanks put back in and discovering it for yourself. It's still That Thing You Do and it is still a lot of fun, but it has a slightly different tone about it. There is more of a 'journey' to it. There is a touch more of Horace and his camper, a touch more of Sol Siler and how he 'signed' the band...and how to eat 'deli' properly. There are bits of conversation that are extended from the theatrical version. There are longer musical bits. Things are edited a bit differently. There are bits in the extended version that make you go "Oh THAT'S what they mean" and stuff like that. There is a LOT more of them in Pittsburgh. You will see WHY they ended up in that crappy dressing room and there is a great scene where they stand on the empty stage in the empty theater before the show and just take in the the size of a theater that they have never seen before.

There is just a lot more of everything. I betting that if you like the theatrical version, you will like the extended cut.

"You guys Look great in red. Have I told you that?"

5. Brother Shinola

Brother Shinola New Member

Whoa...scary coincidence....just bought this and got done watching it myself! Yes, extra scenes do add to the film overall. It may seem to drag on a bit for those used to the fast pace of the regular version. After this though you'll feel cheated watching the short version.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Loved it lots and lots!

I wish they added even more...especially the musical numbers!

...can't ever go back to the theatrical cut...

7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Sounds like a really fine movie just got...really finer?

Anyway, I'm in!!!

Thanks for the heads-up!!

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I enjoyed being able to see the extended version, but I think it's inferior to the theatrical cut. Two and a half hours is WAY too long for this kind of flick, and much of the new material is redundant. Again, it's fun to check out, but I don't think it works well - the theatrical cut remains superior IMO.

Here's my review - it offers a VERY detailed look at the changes:

http://www.dvdmg.com/thatthingyoudodc.shtml

9. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I bought this along with the 2-disc extended version of Big last week, but have not had a chance to view either one yet.

If you live near a Costco, they are seliing both films for $9.99 each. Great deal!! I bought mine at Sam's Club for $13 each (no Costco near me.) :cry: That is still better than BB, CC, et al. who are selling it in the $15-$17 range.

10. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Thanks for the review! I am looking forward to seeing the extended version.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I got that! Nice. :)

12. Hawkman

Colin,

I very much enjoyed your detalied review of the DVD!! Even though we disagree on the extended cut, yours is the kind of review that I enjoy reading when wondering whether to buy a DVD or not. I would hardly have the desire to write such a lengthy and well thought out review. I would heartily suggest that those who want to read more of what I hint at above, please read Colin's review.

Having said all that, and noting that we disagree on the extended version, I can certainly appreciate that fact that 20th Century gave us BOTH versions on this new DVD. I can see where I might want to see the theatrical cut if I'm in the mood and I like being able to do that without reaching for the 2001 release. Do you want the short ride or the long one? You have the choice.

As I noted earlier, the extended version is more of a 'journey'. I like it a lot. I've only seen it once so far but I think that I may actually prefer it. I'm about to watch it again. I've been in several bands and have come across characters like those in The Wonders, so the opportunity for me to say "That reminds of the the time that we played here or there and so and so did this or that" is enhanced.

We both agree on this point...more Lenny is good. "I'm signing! You're signing! We're all signing!"

13. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

One question I have about this new DVD. Do the extended and theatrical cuts of the film come on separate discs, or is it one of those discs that use "seamless branching" that marred the quality and continuity of DVD's like the extended cut of "Stripes"?

14. Just finished watching the extended cut last night. Very interesting! I wouldn't say that its better than the theatrical cut but it was cool to see so much more footage. I still prefer the original theatrical cut but am glad to have this one as well just to give a little more information on the characters.

Haven't gotten to any of the bonus stuff yet but am really looking forward to checking it all out!

Question: Is there any reason to keep the previous single disc edition now that I have this double SE?

15. Todd Pass

Todd Pass Forum Resident

See post #8 and check out Colin's excellent review. In brief, it looks like the cut a couple of music videos and a few trailers.

16. Hawkman

Both are on the same disc. I don't know if it's the 'seamless branching' or not. When you hit "Play Movie" it asks you if you want the theatrical or the extended version.

17. Michael

:D:thumbsup:

18. Michael

YES..the bonus videos are missing...so, I'm keeping mine!

19. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I watched the extended version this evening. If the disc uses seamless branching, it truly is "seamless." I noticed no pauses or hiccups at all (including layer change) during the entire two-and-a-half hour presentation.

I love the original version that I saw theatrically, but this cut makes for a very satisfying ride, too! :edthumbs:

20. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Thanks for that info!:thumbsup: That's good news because there have been some other DVD's that have been released in the last few years where that was a big problem. Another title that comes to mind is "Ray". If you try to watch the extended cut of that, all of the pauses and frame freezes that happen when it's switching between layers really breaks up the pacing of the film.

21. I'm pretty sure this disc does not use that awful "branching" technique. I think both versions of the film are just on the disc independently of each other.

Which is GREAT!!

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'm going to have to get this....such a FUN movie!

Evan

23. sadie

sadie New Member

Added to my list of dvd's to get. Thanks for the great reviews.

Sadie

24. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I'm inclined to think it DOES use seamless branching. How else are you going to store two movies on one DVD without compressing them so much you get visible blockiness etc? I wouldn't judge the technique by one bad mastering...

Derek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.