BBC News: EMI & Apple News Conference on Monday

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by autumn daze, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here Thread Starter

Beatles and iTunes talk growing

Steve jobs teased fans with a Beatles song at the iPhone launch
    EMI is to hold a media event on Monday with Apple boss Steve Jobs as special guest, prompting speculation that Beatles songs will finally go online.
    None of the Beatles tracks are available to download on any online music service.

In an invite to media sent out on Sunday, EMI said it was announcing an "exciting new digital offering".

There will also be a "special live performance" at the London event by an unnamed artist or band.

Earlier this year iPod-maker Apple reached agreement with Beatles' record label Apple following a long-running legal row over the use of the two firms' name.

Under the terms of the arrangement, Apple Inc took full control of the Apple brand and licensed certain trademarks back to the Beatles' record company Apple Corps for continued use.

That led to mounting speculation that Beatles songs would be available on Apple's download service iTunes. EMI has released the Beatles records since 1962 single Love Me Do.

Last week at a mobile industry conference, EMI chief executive Eric Nicoli praised Apple for the simplicity of the iPod and iTunes.

He told the industry that it should learn from Apple.

If the deal does not have anything to do with the Beatles, there is speculation that it could be tied to Apple's new iPhone.

A spokesman for EMI would not comment on the subject of the press conference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6516189.stm

2. Rick Holland

Rick Holland Member

Well, if that's an April Fool's joke, it's very welll done!

Rick

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The hacked BBC news article looks very authentic :agree: :winkgrin:

4. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I just knew that something like this would happen today!

5. autumn daze

I didn't want to post it as it's bloody april 1st! However it's after midday so i think i'm safe!

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

7. Rick Holland

Rick Holland Member

I noticed that too, Caroline, shortly after my initial post. An inside job, or an interestingly-timed real story? :laugh:

Rick

8. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

its the first story in the entertainment section.

9. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Question is, will it turn out to be an Apple Fool's Joke? :confused:

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I'll keep the eyes peeled for the BBC news on the TV as I can get it and if it's confirmed I'll let you know if I'm not beaten to it.

11. autumn daze

I wouldn't think that this story would be on the normal BBC news. However it may be on a section of BBC News 24 somewhere down the line.

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

13. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, here in the US we should know early tomorrow morning whether this is true or not. What's interesting, even though it was clearly an April Fool's joke, the other thread has elements of truth to it. Giles Martin and Paul Hicks HAVE been working on "something" since mid-January. My source works for Abbey Road Studios and confirms they've been working together, but even she has no idea what it's all about. Of course, the speculation is that they are preparing 5.1 remixes for the proposed Deluxe Editions, specifically Sgt. Pepper....BUT, this is still speculative. Stay tuned. Ron

14. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

There seems to have been a lot of Beatles/ iTunes threads lately, but would anyone here actually care when The Beatles become available on iTunes? Who from here would download them?

15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Probably not a lot, but it will signify that the remastered CDs will be released shortly. Ron

16. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Hah. Probably Mary Hopkin or Badfinger...

17. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Monitoring News 24 until the top of the next hour.

18. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The story is on digital teletext on BBC News 24 but not covered on screen (much 'hard news' today) - no retractions but Emi refusing to confirm or deny any Beatles connection.
    I've got to go now - early start at work for me tomorrow - so it's going to be watch for that press conference I think.

19. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I plan to fly in and be there!

Who all will join me on Trans-Joke airline flight?

20. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

The news item has just been repeated on BBC Radio Five Live at 8.40pm Sunday night, together with an interview from the manager of the HMV music chain, who is of the opinion that it's completely genuine. But I just can't get the fact that it's April 1st out of my head. Oh, cynical me!!.

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Who will perform live? Paul and Ringo et al ??

22. Inscape

Inscape New Member

If the BBC article is correct in stating that the news conference has been announced "n an invite to media sent out on Sunday," then the story should soon be turning up on a wide variety of major news sources apart from the BBC.

The fact that NME appears to have received its own copy of the press release strikes me as reassuring:

http://www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/27466
    Canada's own CBC is also reporting the news:
    http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2007/04/01/apple-emi.html

23. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

As Paul is currently leaving EMI, I doubt he would show up. I'd bet on an up-and-coming artist who would cover songs by the Beatles in a miniset. If they lack imagination, they will hire Norah Jones.

You can have a hint that it is actually news, because the BBC site had an April Fools and it's Gromit replacing the old dog from the HMV logo.

And Apple was founded on a April 1st in 1976.

24. Rick Holland

Rick Holland Member

25. Parlourphone

Parlourphone New Member

Is he El Bacho? Where on earth did you hear that?

So you're sure that was an April Fool's Joke? BBCi makes it clear it is only for a three month period and only for displays surrounding their Children's DVD section - not for the store's main brand or shop displays anywhere else in their shops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.