Toshiba Abbey Road CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyH, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member Thread Starter

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

YIKES!!!!!:bigeek:

3. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

But remember perfect sound forever, so it's probably worth it at twice the price. HEE hee

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Hey, I have a copy. I had it from day one when it was released - I can sell mine for a bargain - How 'bout only $450. :p

Mine is opened and played though, so maybe I will have to reconsider and go for $350. :laugh:

Actually mine is not for sale, but if someone actually buys this thing for over $550 I might have to reconsider and sell mine. :D

5. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Used copies usually sell for around US$ 100 ...

Joachim

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Laugh all you want, gang, but something tells me he'll get his price. It's sealed and that counts for a lot, and it's clearly authentic. Some Beatle fan who just has to have it will cough up the dough.

ED

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Actually the auction is almost over and he doesn't even have one bid yet - so he may have to lower his price.

In hindsight, if I knew this was going to be worth so much I would have bought all the copies the record store I worked at had received. :D

Back when this came out the store I worked in got 4 copies at $36.00 each.

I was once offered $150 for mine, before it was actually released worldwide a few years later, but I declined.

Come to think of it in hindsight I probably would have bought many things that I never did - and on the other hand it is within my nature to open everything I buy - instead of keeping it sealed for collector's sake.

Oh well.

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Well, you can be sure that no one will bid, and then 5 mins after the auction closes, he will get a flood of email offers.

I'd seriously doubt he gets over 300$ tho....you would have to be nuts.

9. Wow, I think I will sell my copy. It sounds warmer, yes, but c'mon.

10. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

There have been used copies that have gone on ebay over the last couple of years for as low sa $30. One sealed copy went for just over $100 about 2 years ago.

11. Ed Bishop

Hmmm....wouldn't go that far, but...this time he may be a victim of bad timing: it's sold for more than that on eBay in the past, but what with today's events, nobody may be paying much attention to auctions right now. And he'll probably ignore the e-mails, though I'm sure he'll get 'em.
    But I agree he'll have to lower that price if he wants to sell it right away.
    Very rare when something like this doesn't get so much as a single bid, but maybe that's because his tactics were wrong. Usually the seller sets a reserve price, rather than a BIN on something like this. That makes it a real auction; BIN at that price, I now realize, is just too unrealistic. I should have been thinking of the reserve aspect, since that ultimately is how you sell boutique items to maximum bid. Besides, if he bought all those copies when he says he did--no more than $25, which is what I paid for mine, IIRC--getting $300 for it is a tidy profit. But eBay does foster greed, doesn't it?

ED :cool:

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Is it greed or market value?...I'll be darned if I wouldn't want to get the MOST I could for an item up for auction.:thumbsup:
    A "business" man not a collector...a different breed altogether.

13. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

If you want to sell that stuff for a good price you need a high starting bid or a high reserve. I sold a sealed copy for US$ 411 a couple of weeks ago. Actually I hoped to get US$ 500 for it.

Esprit pays "£100 for this if in mint/excellent condition". And they are selling it for a *much* higher price!

Joachim

14. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I just got a CDR of the Toshiba "Abbey Road".

The CDR is surprisingly brighter and has much less bass than the official EMI CD. Playing the CDR I have to raise the bass about 4 dbs and lower the treble about 10 dbs to make it sound similar to the EMI CD.

Is this how the Toshiba is supposed to sound?

Lance Hall

15. Holy Zoo

Hmm... I never thought of my (original, not cdr) copy as being bright. But then again, I don't have the later pressing to compare against.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Japanese pressing is certainly much brighter than any other version I've heard, CD or LP.

My guess is they jacked up the treble on that - not uncommon for a Japanese issue.

17. Ed Bishop

I'd agree with you, except in the description the guy kept bemoaning how his wife was after him to get rid of some of them....doesn't quite sound like a businessman, but a guy who just hoarded a bunch, figuring there was a score down the road. 'mymusicfix' he ain't.

Now, about the *brightness* of the Japan ABBEY ROAD.....I could tell you more if I had the domestic copy at hand, but wouldn't you know it's the Odeon disc I can find:rolleyes: ...oh well. While Luke may be right, that the top's been boosted a tad, I still love the overall sound of this one...good bottom end, just nice detail all around. But just because discs from Japan have gotten a rep for being boosted in the upper mids and treble doesn't mean this one was...equally possible the EMI UK version had its natural highs NR'd a little. Our general, collective dissatisfaction with the Beatles as currently on EMI CD's already tells us only a few of them(MMT, for one)are generally worthwhile, and even then some improvement's are in order. Whatever, the Odeon's my version of choice, and can't imagine a reason to sell it for $50 or $500.

ED:cool:

18. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

There's a bid!!!!!

19. Holy Zoo

There's a sucker born every minute!

20. GregY

GregY New Member

What does OBI mean? I'm usually pretty good with abbreviations but this one alludes me. Outer box insert?

21. Holy Zoo

It's the little paper sleeve band that goes around the cd on the left.

22. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

I believe "obi" loosely translates into Japanese as "sash". Hence, what it kind of looks like...a sash. At least, that's what the Red Trumpet catalog said.

23. GregY

GregY New Member

Thanks Holy Zoo. Actually I found an even better description:

From the Glossary of Record Collecting Terms.

24. Ed Bishop

David's right; 'sash' or 'wraparound' will do the trick. For vinyl, it was a band of paper glued at one end that fit through the spine and generally kept to the extreme left. Its intention was to 'advertise' the album beyond the cover graphics, to make it stand out in the bins(and to advertise other Lp's in the catalog). For CD's, Japan OBI's are just folded paper serving the same purpose. A few very early Japan releases I have use a kind of adhesive paper that actually stuck to the front of the tray and wrapped around the spine and back. Despite this, you could open the cover reasonably far without risk of stretching the adhesive OBI. Which, unfortunately, also meant it can't be removed without ruining it, and makes using a new jewel case impossible without spoiling the look or devaluing the package.

A mint OBI for vintage vinyl is, to many collectors, just as important as the rest of the package; they won't buy the Lp, regardless of condition, without the strip that's supposed to come with it. Collectors, eh?;)

ED:cool:

25. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Golly--"ufo.mania" is the winning bidder. $550?? Hmmm...gives me ideas... ;) (Although I doubt mine would fetch anywhere near that much.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.