Anyone using a Magic Eraser to clean their stylus?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

2. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Yep...with excellent results too :righton:

3. LeeS

Do you just sit the stylus down onto it like with the Zerodust?

4. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I do a back to front motion ever so gently...most people do NOT recommend this action

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

i've been using it with great success. i stuck a toothpick in mine, and then just hold it while i drop the stylus on to it a few times. i then stroke the stylus a few times with a dry brush to take off any residue. a really great, cheap tweak.

6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

"The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a highly effective cleaning tool. Test first on an inconspicuous spot with light pressure to see if surface may scratch. Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on finishes that are brushed, satin or dark."

They don't say "Do not use on diamonds" but I believe a stylus is something that is polished/glossy. Might be something fun to play with, but when I'm paying $150 a pop for styli, I'll stick with something tried and proven. I've been using the solid-state stylus cleaner from Extreme Phono for years and I can recommend it without reservation.

7. LeeS

Even as an audiophile I am struggling with paying $70 for a bubble of some polymer and this appealed as a cheap out. :)

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ditto.

9. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I just dip the styus in a few times. Then brush the stylus with a brush (a soft one I have) just in case any remnants or something is left on the stylus.

The ME totally cleaned a filthy stylus I had and has kept my newer one impeccable. I'm sold!

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

11. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

It has been proven and documented by people I trust (for long term use).

12. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Here's that "bubble of some polymer" after five years. All that gunk... even the occasional hair... sank to the BOTTOM of the pot. That USED to be on my stylus. (Not the hairs, of course!) Scary, isn't it? And anybody selling them for $70.00 is a crook... they cost $26.00.

But I'll get one of those "magic erasers" to play with, and try it on my "cheap" styli, just to see. Maybe it'll even work!

13. LeeS

14. LeeS

Gross pic of stylus dirt. Nasty. :D

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

the person who came up with this is a very experienced, very smart audiophile whose opinions are typically always right on and very respected on the audiogon and vinyl asylum forums. he uses very expensive(think multi thousand dollar) carts. his word can be trusted.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Right. And he wrote the essay I linked to earlier in the thread.

17. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I use it.
    I placed mine on a small hinged plastic case and it sits underneath my VPI.

To use it, I simply dip the stylus on the magic eraser a few seconds. I do this at the end of a vinyl listening session.

It's recommended to brush the stylus after doing this to get rid of any abrasive Magic Eraser residue.

I also read the threads on Audio Asylum and people described how the Magic Eraser would show dark spots from the dirt picked up from the stylus.

Perhaps I am too meticulous with my stylus maintenance, but my Magic Eraser is totally white, and I have used it at least 15 times.

I always brush my stylus after each LP side and the type of brush included with my Benz Glider seems to be extremely effective cleaning it. So good that perhaps the Magic Eraser is overkill.

But still, it's a cheap accessory and it won't hurt anything so I'll keep using it.

18. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Do you get the magic eraser wet as you do when using it for regular use?

19. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Good question!
    I didn't find anything suggesting wet use on the threads I read....

20. www.records

www.records Active Member

No, use it dry.

I have been using the ME for over 2 years without incident and it does a great job. Since I already owned a Onzow Zerodust, after using the ME, I give the stylus a quick dip into the Zerodust just in case there is a loose ME fiber, but I really don't think that has ever been a problem. I am sold on the ME for cleaning a stylus. It works pretty darn good on a bathtub too.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

no. dry. always.

22. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Yes it works!

I use often.

23. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

I use it as well. Works just fine. As always when dealing with fragile styli, use with due care.

24. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

The ME is the best for stylus cleaning followed by a soft brush or dip in Zerodust). It also does absolute wonders on brake pad dust on aluminum wheels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.