Crypt Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Walt, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walt

Walt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Crypt Records have released some fine albums from some great bands - The Gories, Oblivions, Devil Dogs and The Back From The Grave/ Garage Punk Unknowns series. But I've had several albums skip - all have been new, properly stored, cleaned etc (I've even gone so far as to try a friend's turntable which seems to have more features than most DVD players... - same results). Has anyone else had issues with their vinyl (i believe Matador distributes their catalog, i don't have any "regular" Matador releases to compare...)?

2. well, no complaints here.

Crypt's aren't the audiophilest pressings, but as far as I'm concerned, they're good enough for the reproduction of their typical sounds - usually noisy, lo-fi productions, often recorded from needle-drop

3. Walt

I forgot to mention that one of the discs is a 180 gram reish of the Devil Dogs first lp. I lost track of the amount of skips - on it's maiden spin.

Maybe I'm just cursed with bad luck. :rolleyes:

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Obvious question here (so don't get upset, ok?)

Is your TT's tracking force set up properly? It may have changed without you noticing it. :)

Do other albums track correctly?

Worth a shot, right?

5. Walt

Oh, no worries here. I love vinyl - i've been listening to it all my life - off & on. But i'm still an amateur, so to speak. I don't own a vacuum system to clean (i should, but i just can't afford it right now) - though i do use a friend's system from time-to-time (i use Discwasher). I guess what i'm getting at is i came for answers - and i'm prepared to get an education. :thumbsup:

To be quite honest, i'm not sure about the tracking configuration. My current turntable is a Sony with a build in pre-amp that was purchased at Best Buy (i'm probably causing shudders and gasps right now) - it doesn't have many features yet alone tracking adjustment (i cringe when friends tell me to tape a dime to it...). I used to own an Esoteric turntable that had adjustable tracking etc - but after my apartment fire i had to settle for basic equipment until i got back on my feet.

Other discs play fine so i assume the tracking is all right.... (i hope).

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

it could very well be the disc. but for sure a good cleaning could help. and yeah, the turntable is probably not helping matters either. does your friend with the nice table have a vacum cleaner, or at least something better than discwasher? and maybe he could let you borrow a tracking gauge just to see where you are tracking at. it could be that your arm/cart combo caused some damage initially to the vinyl that's now causing your problems.

good luck. that album is a killer.

7. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

I only have one Crypt record, but it's never given me any problems. I hope you can figure out what's going wrong!

8. sf74

sf74 Active Member

not entirely off topic, but i'd just like to say that the original non-180 gram reissue of The Devil Dogs "Saturday Night Fever" completely obliterates the CD pressing on Sympathy.

9. Walt

I've wondered how the vinyl edition sounds - i have the cd... and thought it to be all right - but just all right...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.