The Poco album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served Thread Starter

Introduction to the "Poco: Album By Album" Thread

I couldn't resist trying a Poco album-by-album thread. They're such a great band and so few people seem to know about them. If I counted correctly, there are 22 albums to discuss. They released an album almost every year between 1969 and 1984. Since then, album releases have been sporadic. Like pretty much every other band around from the 60s, their earlier work is really good and their later work is inconsistent. We’ll cover everything though.

Richie Furay and Jim Messina developed the concept of Poco during the waning days of Buffalo Springfield in early 1968. The idea was to make country music for a rock audience. Country-rock was hardly novel by this point. Buffalo Springfield, itself, had dabbled with country-rock, not to mention Gram Parson’s International Submarine Band, and The Byrds. Poco was different than those groups however. Poco was more pop-oriented and more melodic. They combined a Beatles-like sense of melody with instrumental prowess and In theory, they should have been more accessible. In fact, they should’ve been downright commercial, but they always fell just a little short of mass commercial acceptance.

Poco was three-fifths formed when Rusty Young played pedal steel guitar on Buffalo Springfield’s “Kind Woman” (arguably the first Poco song). Rusty recommended George Grantham for drummer. The choice of bass player came down to either Timothy B. Schmidt or Randy Meisner. The band chose Meisner. This version of the group went over big at The Troubador in the fall of 1968. Among the audience was future Eagle Glen Frey and future member of Poco Paul Cotton. They were billed alternately as “Pogo” or “RFD”. The latter name was either an acronym for “Richie Furay’s Dream”, the last three letters of “Mayberry R.F.D.” or manager Dickie Davis’s full name “Richard Franklin Davis”. “Pogo” was intended to be the name of the group until Walt Kelly threatened to sue for using the same name as his comic strip. This version of Poco initiated a deluge of record company offers. Ultimately, Poco went with Epic. They started their first album and were nearly complete when Randy Meisner quit the group to play with Linda Ronstadt. Randy’s parts were scrapped and replaced with Messina on bass and a dog was pasted over Randy on the cover of the album. By the time they hit the road, Timothy B. Schmidt was the bassist.

The story of Poco is filled with missed opportunities, poor management, but above all consistently great music. The group shares with Badfinger the incredulous failure to achieve of mass commercial success. The reasons are almost all the same. Fortunately, Poco wasn’t marred by the type of tragedy that befell Badfinger.

Attached Files:

2. Chief

Poco
    Pickin' Up The Pieces
    Epic Records

Side One
    Foreword (Furay)
    What a Day (Furay)
    Nobody's Fool (Furay)
    Calico Lady (Furay, Goodwin, Messina)
    First Love (Furay)
    Make Me a Smile (Furay, Messina)
    Short Changed (Furay)

Side Two
    Pickin' Up The Pieces (Furay)
    Grand Junction (Young)
    Oh Yeah (Furay, Messina)
    Just in Case It Happens, Yes Indeed (Furay)
    Tomorrow (Furay, Goodwin)
    Consequently, So Long (Furay, Goodwin)
    BONUS: Do You Feel It Too (Furay)

Pickin’ Up The Pieces is the country-rock flip side of The Flying Burrito Brothers’ The Guilded Palace Of Sin. The Burritos tapped into the dark and unsavory side of the late sixties and created a classic and somewhat disturbing period piece. Pickin’ Up The Pieces was oblivious to the world around it. It was pure fun country pop/rock. Personally, I find it to be the more enjoyable album. At the essence is the difference between the personalities of Gram Parson and Richie Furay.

Following the “Foreward” is the declaration of the band’s purpose: “It's a good mornin' and I'm feelin' fine; Hey, it's such a lovely day; Smile, a frown would be passé; I wanna play; Oh, What A Day”. Even though “What A Day” started it’s life as a Buffalo Springfield song with Stephen Stills on vocals, it became the introduction to Poco. The song is a full on country rock song with banjo, dobro, pedal steel guitar, and even a “yeee haw!” for good measure. The stunning vocal harmonies were also evident. “Nobody’s Fool” is another leftover Buffalo Springfield song. What was a light, swinging tune for Dewey Martin to sing was transformed into a Poco’s country-rock-blues experiment. 21 year old Jim Messina plays some great guitar on the track and Rusty Young, not for the last time, uses his pedal steel as an organ. It’s the only Poco song that could’ve conceivably been covered by Blood, Sweat and Tears.

“Calico Lady” is driven by a great acoustic guitar riff from Messina and features one George Grantham’s few lead vocals. Messina also plays an excellent acoustic solo as well as acoustic accompaniment throughout the song. Listen to this one with headphones to get the full effect. “First Love” is similar to “Sad Memory”, but it’s a better song. This one is the most traditional sounding country song, particularly its weepy pedal steel parts. “Make Me A Smile” is another upbeat Richie song. This has some of the best interplay of acoustic guitar and pedal steel guitar. It sounds like it must have taken hours to arrange these interlocking parts. “Make Me A Smile” segues into one of Richie’s most rocking songs. Starting side two, “Pickin’ Up The Pieces” again declares Poco’s reason to be and features some great playing from Jim Messina and more of the syncopated interlocking playing with Rusty’s pedal steel guitar. “Grand Junction” is Rusty Young’s showcase and the first time he unleashes the full fury of his pedal steel guitar talent. Since there has to be a “Jimi Hendrix of” everything, Rusty HAS to be the Jimi Hendrix of pedal steel guitar. Almost beside the point, Messina plays another mind-bending guitar solo.

“Oh Yeah” is the only Messina song on the album which is odd since he co-founded the group. It’s a nice song, but not too far removed from his previous offering “Carefree Country Day” on Buffalo Springfield’s Last Time Around. “Just In Case It Happens, Yes Indeed” is a piece of pure pop craft. It’s country rock filtered through the early Beatles. As such, it’s one of Richie’s best songs. It’s also another arranging masterpiece. That musicianship this superb could go unrecognized is a mystery to me. “Tomorrow” is somewhat overdone. It’s similar to “In The Hour Of Not Quite Rain”. “Consequently, So Long” is another Richie classic, although I’m not sure who wrote what. Richie is listed as the second writer. It’s also another opportunity for Rusty Young to shine. As usual, Messina plays great acoustic and electric guitar throughout.

“Do You Feel It Too” was a bonus track on the 1995 reissue. It started as a very early Richie Furay song, demoed in the early days of Buffalo Springfield (available on the Box Set). This version is very similar to what was released two years later on From The Inside but taken at a much faster pace. Its easily as good as the other songs on Pickin’ Up The Pieces.

The group generally considered Pickin Up The Pieces to be a disappointment due to Randy Meisner’s departure from the group and the failure to capture the live excitement from the Troubadour shows. In addition, Messina was unhappy with the overall sound of the album. While he was, at this point, an experienced engineer, union rules prohibited from getting behind the board. Not too many fans share these assessments and many feel that the band never made a better album.

5 stars

Attached Files:

3. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Nice work, Chief... this is the way to kick off an album-by-album thread!

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  4. Great choice for an album by album thread, and not just because I have them all! I've been a fan since I heard PUTP cut on the radio between classes on day during my freshman year. I got to see them shortly after with Tim B on bass, and Messina still in the band, and I can't recall a show I enjoyed more.
    Looking forward to this as a regular stop. I'll listen to PUTP again tomorrow,and Poco, to be ready for the next installment.

:goodie: Just because it's Poco . . . "High Bouncin' " Charles LaGuidara from WBCN in the liner notes on Deliverin'.

pablo fanques likes this.
  5. 905

905 Senior Member

I can't pick a favorite song from their debut, the entire album is excellent. Right now I am listening to Short Changed on headphones.

Short Changed
    I got to hand it to you
    Blood Stained
    My hands were tied 'cause of you

5.0/5.0

Great playing and lyrics on the debut... The drums sound top notch.
    George Grantham :thumbsup:

6. stevenm

stevenm New Member

I remember hearing the song 'Pickin' up the pieces' on the radio and thinking it was rare to hear such unabashed happiness. Joyous from start to finish, and a good album too.

7. stevef

stevef Senior Member

Pickin' Up The Pieces is an excellent album... a strong debut.
    I love the title song, the Legacy remaster sounds great and... I'm highly looking forward to this thread.
    Thanks Chief!

Steve

8. Chief

I read somewhere that there were lyrics on Pickin Up The Pieces that reflected Richie's Buffalo Springfield experience. This could be one of them. If so, I'm guessing the "you" is a certain guy with a live album coming out this Tuesday. Either way those are probably Richie's most vitriolic lyrics ever.

As an aside, as I'm sure many already know, when Neil was recording his first solo album, Neil Young, in 1968, he used George Grantham on drums and Jim Messina on bass. They didn't get credit until 1985 in the liner notes of Old Ways.

9. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I got this the day it was released because of Richie coming from the Springfield. The first 2 lps did not knock me out but when i look at this track listing I can't beleve I did not play this into the ground. Most of the tracks I later loved on the Live album.

Live and Learn. I wil be back when we get to "From The Inside"

The MEZ likes this.
  10. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Saw them this past summer and that is probably the first time I enjoyed hearing the title song from the first album. Agreed, Short Changed was the best song on that album, follwed by What A Day. Plus the CD issue had a different version of a later recorded song titled Do You Feel It To. The version that was included on the CD is far better than the one that was recorded and released a few years later. I had forgotten about them possibly using R.F.D. as a group name. They performed some live shows before Schmit joined the band and Young played all the lead guitar parts on pedal steel. As far as most of the other songs on the album, I liked them, but when Deliverin' came out with them put together in a couple of medleys I liked them a lot better.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i find PUTP to be an extension of the buffalo springfield, i think all of the richie furay ongs would have been great springfield songs.

not their best, but definitely a purveyor of things to come.

this thread will be fun.

renny

p.s. not a lot of poco odds and ends are there?

The MEZ likes this.
  12. Chief

The only non-album b-side is "My Kind Of Love". A live take of "Heart Of The Night" is on the No Nukes album. And the anonymous "I'll Leave It Up To You" is on the Fast Times At Ridgemont High soundtrack. It could pass as a below average Rick Springfield song, sad to say.

As for outtakes and unreleased stuff, I think there are more than we know about. At least The Forgotten Trail got some of them out. There is a first or second album version of "Nothin's Still The Same", studio takes of "C'Mon" and "Man Like Me" produced by Richie Polodor and intended as a single, a performance by Richie of Stephen Stills' "So You've Got A Lover" from the Crazy Eyes sessions, and "Your Friends" also from Crazy Eyes (later recorded on Richie's solo album Dance A Little Light).

I think Pickin' Up The Pieces sounds a lot like Buffalo Springfield. I could still hear it on the second album, but by From The Inside they didn't have any more of that sound than The Eagles. I guess I'm in the minority, because Pickin' Up The Pieces is my favorite Poco album. It was the first one I got, in the spring of 1988, and it was a shock to the system after an entire winter of Neil Young's "Doom Trilogy". It was just the right album at just the right time.

Something I just read in Richie's autobiography is that Poco had the opportunity to play Woodstock. Dickie Davis turned it down because he thought he had a better opportunity. Neither Richie or Rusty can remember the OTHER gig. Yet another missed opportunity...

pablo fanques, The MEZ and 1970 like this.
  13. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

How's the Poco GOLD (2-CD) set?

14. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Whispering Bob Harris over this side of the Atlantic got me in to them when he played tracks from the Cantamanos album on the Old Grey Whistle Test.
    So I got all their discs but somehow or another always came back to that one.

15. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

16. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

pablo fanques and 1970 like this.
  17. GKH

GKH Senior Member

"Legend" is the only album of theirs, I own. I love it! :righton:

[​IMG]

And; I just read that, the late Phil Hartman (the comedian), drew the cover art for this.

18. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Poco
    Pickin’ Up The Pieces

Here it is, the debut of Poco. For me, it’s just under a five star album, almost every song is great. Not only are the compositions great, but the musical arrangements are nicely done and the harmonies are simply amazing. The guitar playing as well as the pedal steel guitar playing is excellent throughout. This is one of those albums where it seems like a good deal of thought was put into the running order of the songs. I like the flow of the whole album.

My only complaint about this album is the cover illustration from Drew Struzen. Illustrations are just not the same as real live photographs, and who wouldn’t want a better picture of that shirt Richie Furay is wearing inside the cover jacket? :p

My favorite songs: “Make Me A Smile”, “Calico Lady”, “Tomorrow”, “Pickin’ Up The Pieces” and “What A Day”

Produced by Jim Messina

Jim Messina 6-string guitar
    Richie Furay 12-string guitar
    George Grantham Drums
    Rusty Young Pedal steel guitar

With supporting vocals and bass by Randy Meisner

-----

Side 1

“Foreword”/”What A Day” - ***** stars

“It's a good mornin' and I'm feelin' fine.”

The “foreword” is a short piece, a poem by Kathy Johnson set to music by Richie Furay. It soon becomes “What A Day”, the soundtrack to one of those perfect days when you just feel on top of the world. Pretty cool that this was originally a Buffalo Springfield song. There is some great acoustic lead guitar playing. It’s a five star song for me because it sets the tone for the whole record and of all the songs on the album it’s the one that was obviously meant to go first.

“Nobody's Fool” - **** stars

“You've had your way up until today.”

I think this song should have been played faster! Really, it’s fine just the way it is. Is this the only song on the album that features organ? It also has horns on it. I probably wouldn’t have used horns on it, but they’re not too overdone I suppose. There are some great harmonies throughout the whole song. Also, for all of you songwriters out there, this song is the best example of how to write a bridge. Those major 7 chords on the “you were so darn sure of yourself” are perfect in every way. It gives the song a great change. Take note of it.

“Calico Lady” - ***** stars

“Soon she'll travel on and join the wind.”

George Grantham takes over on lead vocals here. This has a good 60’s vibe to it, right from the very beginning with the solo bass guitar in the intro. I really like the acoustic guitar playing in this song. It’s another five star song in my book.

“First Love” - **** stars

“Older people play little games in another way.”

The lyrics to this song remind me a little of Brian Wilson. This is a slow tempo acoustic ballad. This song comes in just at the right time. It’s the quietest song on the album and it has some very effective pedal steel guitar playing on it that adds to the sad tone of the music.

“Make Me A Smile” - ***** stars

“Arrange your sweet tune to make harmony.”

“Make Me A Smile” is the best song on the album, in my opinion. I love the chord changes on this song, and there are quite a few chord changes going on in there…just listen. There are some sweet harmonies in this song and the whole arrangement seems really well thought out. I also like the bass playing here. Randy Meisner I take it?

“Short Changed” - ***** stars

“Can you feel the pulse of my soul drivin' you home.”

There’s barely a pause in between “Make Me A Smile” and “Short Changed.” This is another more rocking song with some wicked fuzz guitar by Rusty Young (I think). This song could almost be classified under “psychedelic” and has some interesting rhythm changes. I give this song five stars because I like this kind of music a lot. I know this is a little different than the rest of the album. Great title for a song, too.

Side 2

“Pickin' Up The Pieces” - ***** stars

“We're bringin' you back down home where the folks are happy.”

Yet another great song with an amazing set of chord changes. It’s the perfect happy country-rock song. It’s a song that makes you want to spend the day in the country enjoying the fresh air. There’s a great pedal steel solo in the middle that deserves a special mention. I also like the chord that they end the song on.

“Grand Junction” - *** stars

Instrumental

Usually I’m not the biggest fan of instrumentals, but this one is at least interesting. It’s fast and super-charged with some phenomenal guitar work. Get the headphones out to really appreciate the right/left alternating solos.

“Oh Yeah” - *** ½ stars

“My my, can't you see the warnin'.”

This is a breezy, laid back composition. The vocals in the chorus are kind of odd, in the way that they are panned with the heavy reverb.

“Just In Case It Happens, Yes Indeed” - *** stars

“Now the peace of mind I'll feel in time is worth the misgiving.”

This is another country-rock song. The vocals and harmonies are excellent.

“Tomorrow” - ***** stars

“Washing clean the festering earth, it foretells of a renaissance.”

Yes, this is somewhat reminiscent of “In The Hour Of Not Quite Rain” which I love quite a bit, too. I think “Tomorrow” is a real masterpiece. The lyrics on this song (written by Skip Goodwin) just might be the best on the album. The music is masterfully written and arranged. This song features strings and horns, both of which I think are arranged tastefully and work very well here.

“Consequently, So Long” - *** stars

“Sittin' starin' at the rain.”

The original albums ends with another fine country-rock performance. There are more excellent harmonies on this song. The solo section is totally country, with pedal steel guitar and even handclaps.

19. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Yes, Phil Hartman did that cover. He also did America's History cover. Hartman's brother was a manager of both groups at the time.

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Even though Richie Furay had left, I still enjoy their "Seven" album. It's surprisingly good (a 'sleeper' in my opinion).

pablo fanques, keyXVII and 1970 like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Pickin' Up The Pieces is a superb album...and a a superb debut! :righton:

I have loved this record since dad taped it onto cassette when I was 5.

One thing nobody has mentioned is Rusty Young's soemtimes running his pedal steel through a leslie speaker...man, that's a cool sound from a pedal steel. :)

22. Chief

The cover is pretty weird. Actually, Poco probably has more bad album covers than good. I like From The Inside and Rose Of Cimarron. Poco and Cantamos have a certain charm too. The cover for Pickin' Up The Pieces doesn't reflect the music inside, whereas The Gilded Palace Of Sin is pretty much perfect.

I didn't think Meisner was on the album at all. I thought Messina played all the bass parts after Meisner bolted.

23. Chief

Wot?! We've mentioned it. I thought it was a keyboard for years.

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ok, i must've mised that. My bad. As a kid reading the album credits, I thought "how does Rusty play organ and pedal steel at the same time?" I learned later on his secret.

25. Chief

My guitar teacher back in the late 80s told me. He went to a lot of Poco shows in the early days and he saw Rusty do it, so I guess that's how he knew. Sometimes he plays that thing so convincingly like an organ. That's one of the irritations about what happened to Poco post-1978; as someone else pointed out, Rusty stopped playing pedal steel and mostly played guitar and viewed himself as a songwriter. I've only seen Poco in the later years - once in 1990 and again in 1992. It seems like he gets behind the pedal steel only for "The Heart Of The Night". I think he played it on "Indian Summer" too. I think he should've made an entire pedal steel guitar-based album instead of trying to write pop songs (not that he didn't write a bunch of good ones).