D. Brubeck "Time Out" on Gold Mastersound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Mc, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a question for you Jazz guys.
    "Is the Columbia Master sound Gold Disk version of "Take Five", by Dave Brubeck, worth chasing down? Is it a superior sounding cd? From what I have found out so far, it's produced by Teo Macero, and remastered by Mark Wilder.
    I saw one of these for sale, I procrastinated and missed it. They don't seem to pop up to much. To me this is one of those classic jazz albums, like "Kind of Blue".

What's your suggestions on this....... :)

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

It always sounded bright and thin to me, in comparison to the original mid 80s CD and SACD. I regretted buying it. The other, more recent Brubeck reissues like "Time Further Out", "Countdown--Time in Outer Space" and the others have more bottom end to them. In fact, his five time-themed albums are available in a box set from yourmusic.com at a great price. Lots of good music there.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get the SACD!

4. Larry Mc

Thanks Rudy and Steve, I guess I'm off to yourmusic.com..:) :thumbsup:

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The gold CD is a unique mix played done using a solid state tape machine.

Mark mixed it again but this time with a tube playback machine. That mix is the one on the standard CD remaster and SACD.

I like the balances and tone of the mix found on the remastered CD/SACD better.

6. Larry Mc

Thanks again guys, I respect and appreciate your opinions. :righton:

I see that Music Direct has a Japanese SACD of "Time Out". It's a little expensive, $39.99 (CSMESA4535), but if I can't find it anywhere else, I'm going for it. Trying to save 5-10 dollars on eBay is not worth it anymore. :)

7. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

There's a U.S. SACD--way less expensive (about $15). This is the one they are referring to.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004S3AN/sacdinfocom-20/ref=nosim

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, that ain't it!

9. Larry Mc

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Don't forget there's also the DualDisc issue (see my Avatar). Very rare. Not sure if either of the mixes (stereo, 5.1) are unique on this issue.

Kwad

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I bought the gold Mastersound version when it came out. The sound is fine with me, but it's not my favorite album by any means. I like the mono mix on vinyl better.

12. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Does anyone know whether the DualDisc 5.1 has different mixes? Have you compared this to the SACD, Kwadguy? I already have the SACD that Steve recommends but I was just curious.

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I think the standard US reissue version available now sounds just fine....

Evan

14. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Particularly when your player is compatible with HDCD...

15. Someone please tell me if all pressings of this are single-layer.

I've seen it with a plastic sleeve and with a cardboard sleeve.

thanks in advance . . . .

btw, I have the solid state remix on an aluminum disc and a vinyl lp.
    The back cover is brown and has a considerably abbreviated copyright info on reverse.

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The ones you've seen are all single-layer SACDs, whether it's in a cardboard or plastic slipcase. Those are the US versions of the title. I have the European hybrid SACD version (with an unmarked HDCD-encoded CD layer), but it doesn't come in a slipcase at all.

17. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Hmm, interesting. I had no idea there was a hybrid SACD version. Does the hybrid version have a multi-channel program too?

18. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

Yes, indeed.

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Yes, multi-channel/stereo SACD w/ a HDCD-encoded CD layer. CD layer most likely came from the remastered CD version.

20. It's from the same mastering session as the SACD, simply just redbook format. The mastering/tonality is very similar, but the SACD has the benefit of the added resolution. Still a well remastered CD (by Mark Wilder). Of course, the SACD is DSD-mastered.

I have both, the SACD and the remastered CD. Both sound good to me.

21. CODOR

CODOR New Member

Just to clarify: is this the hybrid SACD being discussed? I don't have an SACD-capable player (yet), but if I can hear the Redbook layer in the meantime then I'll get it...

22. Larry Mc

No, it's for sacd players only.

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have the latest remastered CD of "Time Out" and this is the way the album should sound like.

24. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

Same here. I've been called "silly" for this before (in another thread) but Brubeck on Columbia is better in mono. But if you can't get the mono LP, by all means hear this album in stereo - it's great music.

25. CODOR

CODOR New Member

Okay, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.