Used CDs and LPs in Seattle

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GerryO, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member Thread Starter

Some suggestions about where to find them this weekend?

2. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

3. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Almost, but not quite. Seattle's Silver Platters moved into Tower's 5th Avenue North and Roy Street site (near Seattle Center) about four weeks after Tower closed.

And they have an absolutely booming collection of used CD's and LP's!

4. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

I've been meaning to pay a visit there since they opened. I'm in Seattle for school every day. They have a lot of used stuff, eh?

The only Silver Platters I've been to is the one in Crossroads. I picked up a few of my CCR SACDs there. No used stock at that one, though. I'm in Northgate fairly often, too, I may need to drop by that one soon.

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I'm in Seattle this week - doing lots of CD shopping. I'll second Silver Platter - I was there yesterday - it's almost as if Tower never left - the used section is in the same place in the store. Also try Half Price Books in the U District or on Capitol Hill. I just found Steve's Awsome 80's CD's there. Probably hit the stores in Ballard tomorrow. There was a great used store in Wallingford (can't remember the name) that looks like it closed.

6. annewithane

annewithane New Member

The store in Wallingford is Golden Oldies and they're not closed. I can testify to that - I go there frequently :) Great place to rummage around in.

Easy Street Records on Queen Anne Hill and in West Seattle is good too. There's another one in West Seattle - Rubato Records also - quite close to Easy Street.

Have fun and leave me some!

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Not Golden Oldies - I was in there yesterday and I really enjoy the owner there. Staying in Eastlake with my inlaws so it's close by.
    It was a small store that was across the street from Bottleworks (the best beer store in the world!) - mid-block - had a 40-50 year-old women owner.

Got to get back to West Seattle this trip. Been a few years.

8. bellwether

bellwether New Member

Try Underdawg Records on Queen Anne, right around the corner from Easy Street (which sucks in my opinion). They have a large vinyl room as well as lots of used CD's.

Also, The Landing on Roosevelt. Great new and used vinyl and CD's.

9. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Maybe you're thinking of the Wallingford location of Rubato Records. That did close about a month ago.

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Just got back. I forgot how good a store that is.
    They have the OOP Classic Records DAD of Allan Parsons "I-Robot" for $8.99 there if anyone wants it (I already have the HDAD so I left it).

yes...:shake:
    I pulled a Roy Orbison DCC Gold disc out of there last summer for $7.99...;)

Obviously, sorry to see them go...

11. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

The Landing is the used store I go to the most. It's kind of out of the way and not real big, but they generally have something I'm looking for and the the couple who own it are very nice. :thumbsup:

12. annewithane

annewithane New Member

Thanks for the tip on the Landing - that's one I haven't been to yet. Not sure how I missed it in my determination to find them all :D Haven't been to Underdawg either - gosh I better get busy.

My son agrees with you. I've only been to the Queen Anne one one time and wasn't too impressed. But the West Seattle one is ok - they have all the used vinyl upstairs - a whole wall of albums for like 50 cents or $1 each (was awhile ago - can't remember). I have this thing when I see albums for that price where I just pick blindly without knowing the band. Obviously, they're not all winners but oh boy - sometimes I really get a good one and discover music I'd never heard before :) One time there was this thrift shop that was closing and they had these big bags and you could fill it for $1 - I'm still sorting through all those albums! I could barely carry the bag (and oh yes I got more than 1 bag).

And I agree with you Kayaker on the record store owner at Golden Oldies - he's great :righton:

13. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Is it still Dean? I haven't been there for years but used to pick up some classic oddball 45s there.

Frank G

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

There are no bad places if you're looking. And Easy Street on lower Queen Anne is a very good place IMO - lots of used CDs at good prices and enough vinyl that you'd have to be lame not to find at least one good deal - I've found plenty of forum approved unremastered CDs and killer vinyl. Like several NM UK pressings of Lovin' Spoonful in the dollar bin (smokes the US vinyl :love:) a -1U UK Lennon Imagine in NM with all the goodies for $15, minty Alan Parsons UK pressings in the dollar bin, a NM pink island Fairport Convention for the price of a burger, &c. (just off the top of the noggin' too)

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Everyday Music (or EM) on Broadway (right across from Dick's Hamburgers, unfortunately for my waistline) has a HUGE selection of used CDs, some for peanuts ("skufs" - playable CDs with visible blemishes; $2-4), and most single CDs are $8.50 or so. I recently got a highly-regarded 2-CD Free compilation (Molten Gold) for $12. Procol Harum MFSL Home for $15. The Nice Thoughts Of Emerlist DavJack for $8. A Nazz 2-CD comp for $4 (skuf). Others too humourous to mention.

I also get a lot of stuff from the Landing; nice folks, and they have a Naim system for in-store playback(!!!). It's just up the street from all the good hifi shops (<cough>Hawthorne!<cough>), too.

16. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I was wondering why everything sounded particularly good there. :)

When I was in there today, someone from one of the local hi-fi shops wanted them to put together a group of 10 audiophile, but mainstream CD's from their store for equipment auditions. I was going to suggest some myself, but I had to get back to my in-laws for dinner. They do seem like nice folks. Got an adorable 3-year-old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.