AC/DC: For Those About To Rock CD question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imagnrywar, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member Thread Starter

i found one of the older, non-remastered versions of this album at a store yesterday. wasn't able to find much info about it in the archives.

It's an Atlantic CD. the catalog number on the spine is: "SD 11111-2 EUROPE: 050 851." the bar code on the back is "0 7567 81463 2 9." the matrix reads "3 11111-2 SRC+01."

booklet says that it was mastered at Masterdisk by Bob Ludwig. did he also master this CD, or is the credit for the vinyl?

is this CD well-regarded in terms of sound/mastering?

thanks for any info.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have the Japan 32XD disc which is also credited to Bob Ludwig. It sounds very nice, I bet it is the same mastering as yours. Barry Diament IIRC did a version of this album; perhaps this is the one he did and is uncredited (like Back In Black)

3. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi imagnry war,

I mastered the original CD for "For Those About To Rock" (as well as "Back In Black") from the 1/2" analog mixes.

I thought the credit on the CD was Howie Weinberg at Masterdisk, who to my knowledge, mastered the vinyl but perhaps that was for "Back In Black".

In any event, the credit is for the vinyl, not the original CDs, which were done by yours truly.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

sandimascharvel likes this.
  4. Charliemcd

Charliemcd Forum Resident

I haven't heard the remastered issue, but the original (mine's a West Germany) sounds great to me. Thank you Barry! :wave:

For grins I did a rip of "For Those About To Rock". Check out this waveform - I just wish they all looked like this these days. Ummm yummy, as our host would say ... :righton:

Attached Files:

5. Doonie

Doonie New Member

You're the man! :righton:

Was that a flat transfer?

Ever meet AC/DC? :D

6. Doonie

Doonie New Member

Awesome! Check out the cannon shots in the middle! :agree:

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

awesome sounding CD. Barry nailed it. seek none other.

8. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Thank you Doonie.

I don't remember for sure if that transfer was flat. It might have been.

There were times when I felt some gently EQ would make a better CD master and times when I felt a totally flat transfer would work better. This shouldn't be surprising when you consider the rather poor monitoring in most studios. (If someone adjusted your TV picture while wearing sunglasses, the picture can often be improved with some re-adjusting.)

And no, I never got the chance to meet the band this time.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

9. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Nice waveform! For the best AC/DC, the originals are the way to go. :righton:

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.