First Ultrasonic Test

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinyldoneright, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal Thread Starter

Well I couldn't wait so at lunch I hooked it up and placed the groovmaster label protector clamp on and threw in a record I got last night for a dollar, Miles Davis Porgy and Bess 6 eye. It had been cleaned on the VPI last night. I recorded a passage then placed the LP in the ultrasonic bath for about 6 minutes, I did not use any heat and only distilled water. I did not scrub when I got it out of the bath just vacuumed (should have scrubbed) and then recorded the same passage.

Results:

2 very loud pops were now gone, scratch noises remained as to be expected. I did ntoi have time to really listen closely, I will post the files later this evening. When I get home I will try with heat and a little air pump.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Where did you get an ultrasonic cleaner large enough to do an LP? Interesting--I'd never thought of trying it!

3. vinyldoneright

It doesnt fit the whole LP only 1/2, I have to spin it halfway thru, it kind of looks like the one here

[​IMG]

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

5. vinyldoneright

I read those earlier, what frequency did your unit run at?

6. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

No, it wasn't mine. I researched the idea but dropped it.

I believe I posted the mailbox with all the info on the project but can't find it.

7. vinyldoneright

Sorry, I was mistaken, but in your posts you said in your experiments the bubbling happened 3 times to you

8. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

No I didn't. I quoted from someone else.

9. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Going back to the archive article here are a few thoughts

1. I would love to see record pressing plants invest in several quality control processes (a future thread will include a list) and one of them could be and ultrasonic cleaning in a batch machine as outlined in the archived thread.

2. Given that state of the art (SOTA) RCM's go for $2K today I do not think that ultrasonic baths are out the of the price range here.

3. I would love to see more documentation of the "exploding bubbles in the vinyl" problem. Photographs please. :rolleyes:

10. vinyldoneright

OKay I had some time to do another LP, I had recently gotten a UK pressing of Trapeze Medusa and it looked Mint, I played it and it was very crackly, no scratches but sever crackle, and this was after 2 cleanings on the VPI. I was pissed and had already started looking on ebay for a new LP of Medusa. Well I decided I would give it the ultrasonic bath and lo and behold, it got rid of the crackle. This is the not the first mint looking LP I have had with severe crackle either. Since there were already large prototypes of these baths and even have production units in Japan I will take my chances on the exploding vinyl bubbles

11. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

You want a spinner motor - or just a frame to hold the disc, and a weight and string. That'll get it even.

I wouldn't worry about popping bubbles - I think that was at extreme power. I'm glad it works well, and look forward to hearing more adventures as your use continues.

12. vinyldoneright

It isnt a pain right now, I just go spin it after about 5 minutes, one thing that tells me it is very effective is that nothing is accumulating on my stylus, even after a cleaning on the VPI a thrift store buy would usually have some lint looking stuff on it after a side, not anymore

13. Blumenkohl

Blumenkohl Member

I am going to try this with my ultrasonic bath as well. I prepared a tried and tested formula of 4 parts aqua bidest. , 1 part isopropyl alcohol, and a squirt of Triton X to fill the bath. I am going to use 30°C warm water. There's a rotten Dire Straits LP that even two rounds with a Loricraft didn't help. Will report back.

14. Tony Plachy

Yes, Please do report back, very interested to hear your results. :righton:

15. Blumenkohl

Blumenkohl Member

Well, it looks like my ultrasonic, full immersion cleaning process has an edge over scrubbing / suction with the Loricraft. The Dire Straits LP in question, while not mint, is definitely playable again. It takes its time though - probably 4 minutes for a full circle in the bath. I bought a long threaded steel rod at the hardware store and can stick up to 5 LPs on it at a time, rotating them slowly by hand. The slow rotation also keeps the label dry as any excess fluid on the vinyl when it emerges from the bath drains straight back into the tank, not flowing across the label. After the full circle is complete, I hang the whole skewer of LPs up in midair, pick up excess fluid accumulating at the bottom edge of each LP with a microfiber cloth and and then leave the rest of the fluid to evaporate from the grooves for about 30 minutes until the vinyl is bone dry and full of lustre. Very easy process.

Since much of my collection was bought very cheaply, I do not worry too much about potential vinyl damage, nor have I experienced any after about 15 LPs. I would like to see these microdamages people are warning about with ultrasonic cleaning.

So far, i am very happy with this cleaning method.

16. vinyldoneright

I can concur that this thing really works, it has KO'd surface crackle on quite a few LP's that the VPI could not. My cleaning process now has a scrub with brushes and then into the ultrasonic bath and then dried vertically, then using distilled water on the VPI.

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This looks just like a standard pro ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry. I wonder if someone ought to manufacture an inexpensive version with a spinning disc contraption...

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I apologize in advance for this dumb question...

What keeps the record label from getting soaked?

19. vinyldoneright

I bought a contraption last year from a guy, it is a clamp called a groovmaster

http://cgi.ebay.com/Groovmaster-Lab...053982272QQihZ005QQcategoryZ618QQcmdZViewItem

I meailed the guy last week to get another one, I can give anyone who wants it his email address, they are 59 dollars. I'll try to get a photo of it up soon

20. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I've been seriously considering this one for a couple of months. May be going to Singapore some time in the near future and would like a look before I pull any purchasing trigger:

http://www.charliemusic.com.sg/

Look under 'records maintenance', then 'record cleaning machine' and 'technical speficications'.

Dale

21. vinyldoneright

I'd like love to be able to grab some kind of motor to auto rotate mine

22. Blumenkohl

Blumenkohl Member

Again, in order to not soak the label, and to get the record really clean, one has to spin really slowly. I doubt a motorized device would be of much help. As I explained above, the "Groovemaster" at 59 US$ isn't necessary because there actually isn't any liquid flowing into or across the label if you do this slowly and steadily.

23. vinyldoneright

With the groovmaster I can place the LP in the bath and it covers half then just flip after 5 minutes, its just kind of a pain if one is cleaning a lot of records, for a single lp I dont mind

24. Tony Plachy

Dale, If you go see if he has a 120V version and what the cost.

25. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Will do. Don't see why a different voltage, if available, would change the US$650 price, though. That price is what has me interested. Yes, I know you can get an unmodified lab or hospital unit at auction for less, but the one I saw set up for LPs in Tokyo last year had a price tag of Y130,000, or about US$1100 or so. And, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the record store owner I spoke two a couple years ago swore by them and was using one there in the store. In fact, that's where I discovered them (being used to clean records, I mean).

Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.