Second Scoutmaster Needledrop: Into The Mystic (Am I Aligned)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinyldoneright, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal Thread Starter

Here is Into the Mystic off the WB green label that a few folks wanted to compare for the tambourine difference. I recheck alignment it is good, tracking force might have been off since I did adjust azimuth and the counterweight might have slid back, so now it is at 1.55 grams. Only thing else might be VTA, hard to tell on this table with the arm tube having different thickness

Flac version

http://pbthalebay.com/hoffman/mystic2.flac

MP3 version

http://pbthalebay.com/hoffman/mystic2.mp3

2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I think it's going to be pretty difficult for anyone to tell from your needledrops whether your table is really dialed in or not.

Best to just make very fine adjustments in one direction, then another till you
    can hear the perfect spot. When it's just right, you will know!!

Enjoy

3. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

It sounds better than the first! Was it just the record?

Is it TT->phono box -> e-mu ?

e-mu 0404?

4. vinyldoneright

Yes Tt > phono box > EMU

The record was one I recently got so it very could be a bad one

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Just thinking out loud: is the VTA correct when the mounting base of the cartridge is parallel to the record surface? That was pretty much what the Shure V15's documentation seemed to say. I'd think if the top of the headshell was flat, you could use that as a reference. My arm is straight, and I actually have a jig and bubble level that came with my protractor that would allow me to adjust the tonearm height if I needed to.

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks for putting that up. The mix matches the Superdisk. Now I just need someone to put up some of the CD version mentioned in that other thread...

The setup sounds OK to me, if a little lean and trebly. Maybe lower the VTA a little bit, and/or adjust your loading (if you can).

7. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Channels are reversed from the last one you did. How does one take part of an mp3 or wave file from the original? I could post the target CD clip with instruction.

8. andyinstal

Found a program to do it and have the clip, but how to post it somewhere?

9. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

yousendit.com

10. andyinstal

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thank you! That's the version I love, that I hear on the radio. I need to get the CD. I wonder if the commonly available disc has the same mix/mastering?

12. andyinstal

I have heard the regular disc and it does not sound as good as the target. I am really liking the super disc version. The super disc says it is from the original analog master, so where is the CD taken from?

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll have to find the Target label disc then. It sounds nice. I love that song, in that mix (I think the tambourine gets in the way on the other mix). Thanks again!!!

14. creativepart

creativepart Forum Resident

That is the general setting. With the tonearm playing a record you want the tone arm to be basically level from the rear of the tonearm to the headshell.

Keep in mind, this is a general setting. Some carts (and some people) like to have the tonearm slightly (1 to 2 mm) tail up at the back. And, there are some carts that seem to like tail down too.

Most cartridge manufacturers spec a 20 degree arc from the record surface to the cartridge bottom -- which is a very slight tail UP setting. For most folks level is just fine.

15. vinyldoneright

I went home and checked the cables and I had them reversed doh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.