Donald Fagen: Nightfly Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I see there is a box set of the 3 solo lps scheduled for later this year in the UK. Does anyone in the Uk have any info on this? Will the cds be remastered?

There is also a 'bonus disc' included. I assume this will be all the Kamakiriad b-sides, live and studio, plus the leftover (download-only) Morph track. I'd bet there's at least one added goodie for the collectors/suckers amongst us....

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Seeing how long it is between each release,the leftove wouldnt be high on my want list as much as i like DF.

3. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Has anyone ever heard the bonus Morph track? I was never able to get it. THe only site that offered the down;oad required your billing address to be in the UK, I believe. Isn't it a Herbie Hancock song?

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

It was Al Green's "Rhymes", performed by Fagen and Todd Rundgren. It was an almost note-perfect remake.

5. TheLoneliestMonk

TheLoneliestMonk Forum Resident

Fagen and Todd together? WOOO HOOO! :goodie:

6. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I heard he was planning on releasing the 3 as a box set, with the 1st two being remastered and this was the only way to get remastered CDs.

I have all of the b-side CD singles, but I'm curious to see what's on that 4th disc.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Well, I've pre-ordered it from amazon.co.uk ... I'd really like to know what's on the mysterious fourth disc ... and why isn't this set scheduled for release in the U.S.?

8. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Both Donald and Todd I believe live in the same neighborhood in Hawaii. A friend of mine played guitar on a couple of tracks on Fagen's latest album.

9. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I am certain Walter Becker has a home on the island of Maui and Todd Rundgren has a home on the island of Kauai. I don't think Donald Fagen has a home in Hawaii at all.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am most curious about this box set. Hopefully it will be well mastered and offer good bonus material.

If anyone gets a scoop on the bonus tracks, please share it!

11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

This sounds interesting....

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

This is just a guess, but that 4th disc could probably contain True Companion, Century's End (stray tracks from the mid 80's) and Confide In Me (b-side of Tomorrow's Girls.) And hopefully the elusive Morph Fagen/Rundgren track.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

And hopefully it will also contain "Big Noise New York", which was the b-side of "Trans Island Skyway".

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Here is an excerpt from an interview in August of 2006...

Donald Fagen lightens up
    On the heels of his successful solo album Morph the Cat, the Steely Dan frontman is open, animated and just a little goofy.
    By SEAN DALY
    Published August 10, 2006

Now that the solo trilogy is complete, Fagen fans will flip to know that Rhino Records might release all three albums in box-set fashion, possibly with bonus tracks. ("I actually don't like that kind of stuff. But fans like it, so I've been looking to see if there's anything to put on there.")

But revisiting his past is not exactly a thrill for Fagen.

"I actually don't listen to my albums after they're made, unless I hear them on the radio or had to remaster them," Fagen says, adding with a slightly sinister chuckle: "But that has to do with various subtle, psychological events that go on in my mind."

So...Not to start yet ANOTHER "RHINO" rumor, that can't be confirmed or denied, because of the RHINO gag order, but this one came from Fagen's own lips.

Chris C

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Maybe Fagen found a copy of "The Second Arrangement". If only. :hide:

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't believe it's a remaster.... straight reissues plus bonus disc... that's all!

17. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

No, that will be used on the expanded reissues of the Steely Dan albums, alongside Dallas, Sail the Waterway, American Lovers, Jones, Mr Sam and all of the others that didn't make it on to Citizen Steely Dan!

There is a potential source of Fagen 'solo' material to fill up a fourth disk. Remember the New York Rock & Soul Revue - Live At The Beacon album? Donald sang both Steely Dan and The Nightfly material, and one out-take from this record has already appeared on one of the Kamakiriad CD singles. My copy of Trans-Island Skyway has the already mentioned Big Noise, New York plus a take of Home At Last recorded live at the Beacon Theatre. Home At Last is IMO at least as good as anything that made the album, and I'm sure that there must be more where this came from.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'd strongly consider any U.K. vinyl.

19. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Hmm, I don't know if I could stretch to buying yet another copy of "The Nightfly". And I've already got two versions of "Morph the Cat" :sigh:

That bonus disk will need to be pretty amazing, as I've already got most of the stuff that's been mentioned for inclusion. I guess the Donald and Todd stuff could be interesting, I didn't know about that.

Hey the Dan are touring this year (sort of)! I see hints on their website that something is brewing. I wonder...

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Great! Finally I will focus my efforts and see these guys in person!

21. RoyalScam

The "something" that is brewing is probably Walter Becker's upcoming solo album...though I can't wait for this either.

And, another Dan outtake that needs to see the light of day is Joni Mitchell's "Carey", which was recorded just prior to Everything Must Go

22. RoyalScam

Just checked Amazon.co.uk for the heck of it...

The release date is now listed as April 2, 2007...and number of discs is 3.

Hope that's a typo...:shake:

23. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Hey, I can hear them doing that! It's kind of Dan-esque.

24. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

No bonus disc, no buy. Have great versions of all 3 studio releases anyway.

Oh well, saved me some cash....:whistle:

25. RoyalScam

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.