THE ANIMALS EMI Best source on CD ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daviddaniel, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daviddaniel

daviddaniel Forum Resident Thread Starter

THE ANIMALS EMI Best source on CD?

I know there are quite a few CDs on the market but can"t decide which to choose, can anyone help?

Thanks
    Regards

Dan

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The ABKCO Hybrid SACD, 'Retrospective'.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I concur - best out there with the U.S. single "hit" version of "We Gotta Get Outta This Place". Anything mastered by EMI directly has been no-noised excessively...

Bob

McLover likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The old EMI CD from the 1980's is the best SOUNDING to me but it has the British version of "Place" on it...

McLover likes this.
  5. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I have never heard this one. I have a later EMI version [ugh!]

Bob

6. Steve Hoffman

CDP 7 46605 2
    ANIMALS "The Singles Plus" EMI CD, mono. Flat transfers!

On_the_dunes likes this.
  7. Bob Lovely

I remember seeing that one. I was frightened of it. What a dummy! :hide:

8. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

And here's a photo:

Attached Files:

9. Steve Hoffman

That's it.

10. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

:agree: That's a good one too!

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Snagged one of those off of ebay last year.

Good sound to boot and made about a year or two before EMI started to infect their releases with the crappy no-noise.

Don't confuse this one with the currently available import 2 CD set (with the same title) that you can easily find at Best Buy.

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If you get THE SINGLES PLUS and RETRO, you'll be doing fine.....and the Drake Polydor for the later stuff if you dig that....

:ed:

13. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

It's a good one, definitely. Just recently got mine and am very happy with it.

14. daviddaniel

Thanks for the info, now I know what to look for.

Are the current issues of the Animals first two UK lps on CD The Animals (UK LP) and Animal Tracks (UK LP) also de noised??

PS: This probably was mentionned in an other thread, but but in fact the dreaded Beatles EM CDs of 1987 could have been a lot worse then as they escaped No noise.

Dan

15. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

There is noise reduction on some of the 1987 CDs.

16. daviddaniel

I know about AR but it could have been worse!!

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Agreed. (And sorry for turning this thread into a Beatles thread.) Back to the Animals...

For us Europeans, how is the US mix of We Gotta Get Out Of This Place different than the UK mix? Is it the same take? Same instruments, overdubs? Simply a better punchier mix?

18. daviddaniel

It is a completely differrent take with slurred vocals at the beginning, I think it was an outtake issued by mistake, the European issue sounds better.

There is an interesting version of "DONT LET ME BE UNDERSTOOD" on "The Animals: A's, B's & EP's" CD on the "EMI gold" label (© 2003) "UK 583 1142" . This is alternate version only previously available on a Japanese Comp.

19. Bob Lovely

Andreas,

Well, I prefer it. Of course, this is the "take" that was the "hit" here. In comparison to the take that was the hit in Europe, I believe the vocals were delivered with more passion on the U.S. version. Worth a listen just to hear the difference...

Bob :)

20. daviddaniel

Bob

I did not mean to sound negative regarding the US version, as you say it is just the version you grow up wth you are bound to prefer, but you are right it is worth a listen just to hear the difference...

dan

21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I Have that Ill have to dig it out an play it again. Long time since I last listened to it.

22. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

The See For Miles, Animals "EP Collection" is known for its good transfer of tapes. I believe it came out in the early 90's. Unfortunately, it is long out of print. I've been searching for a copy myself!

Side note: All those early "Singles Plus" series from EMI have good sonics. I have the Manfred Mann and Gerry & the Pacemakers. :thumbsup:

23. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I saw that Animals EMI "Singles Plus" not too long ago, but it had a "Made In Netherlands" sticker on the back of it.

Anybody know if it's the same flat transfer?

24. MattK

MattK Forum Resident

I just logged in to inquire about this version, but I found it on a different comp, and it states that "DONT LET ME BE UNDERSTOOD" is the 1st UK 45 version... :confused:.

I thought I'd heard most of the Animals early tracks, but that was a new one on me. The Japanese comp had an alternate version of "Blue Feeling" on it.

Question is, was that an early version of "DONT LET ME BE UNDERSTOOD" that was later pulled in favor of the version we're familiar with? Kinda like the "Love Me Do" situation...Ringo, no Ringo. :righton:

25. daviddaniel

Nice pix! Is this CD Legit??

I know I have been looking for this for a long time.
    I still don't know where to get a copy of the US animalism LP/CD.

The version of DONT LET ME BE UNDERSTOOD" I mentionned IS different from the current version available elsewhere. It starts with a different organ run and the vocals are placed differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.