Dimebag Darrell of Damageplan/Pantera Shot Dead

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by easyge, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easyge

easyge Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I get a white screen on the link...can you possibly post the story? Thanks.

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Holy crap! That is just ****ing insane. My heart goes out to Darrell, the other people who died, their families, the fans and everyone who was unfortunate to be there tonight.

4. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

In-****in'-credible :shake:

5. easyge

easyge Senior Member Thread Starter

At Least 5 Dead, 2 Wounded In Nightclub Shooting
    Witnesses: Alleged Gunman Went Onto Stage, Fired Shots

POSTED: 10:32 pm EST December 8, 2004
    UPDATED: 1:56 am EST December 9, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- At least five people died and two others were wounded after a shooting at a Columbus nightclub on Wednesday night, NBC 4 reported.

FeedRoom

Nightclub Shooting

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Rd.

Two members of the heavy metal band Damageplan were reportedly shot and killed, including Dimebag Darrell, formerly with the band Pantera, NBC 4's David Wayne reported. The other band member's name was not released. The alleged gunman also died at the scene, Wayne reported.

Shortly after the band began playing its first song, a man reportedly ran onto the stage and began shooting, according to a witness who identified himself as Sean. Some members of the audience reportedly thought the man running onto the stage with a gun was part of the band's act, NBC 4's Erin Tate reported.

Witnesses said that several shots were fired at the band before a bouncer tackled the gunman before he was shot and killed.

Columbus police Sgt. Brent Mall said the shooter appeared to be targeting the band members. After opening fire on the stage, the gunman turned on the crowd. At that point, an officer shot the man dead, Mall added. Police said there could have been many more fatalities had the officer not killed the gunman.

NBC 4 reported that of the surviving victims, one person was in critical condition while the other was in fair condition. Several others were treated at the scene, suffering from various injuries.

Alrosa Villa is a popular north Columbus nightspot for young adults, featuring rock and heavy metal bands, NBC 4 reported.

According to the band's Web site, Damageplan was touring nationally. It performed in Buffalo, N.Y., on Tuesday night and had a concert scheduled in Flint, Mich., on Thursday.

Damageplan featured former Pantera artists Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. The pair were joined by vocalist

6. Gerry Galipault

Gerry Galipault New Member

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks Evan...what is going on? This is horrifying! Rest their souls...

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

mmmm...this is a new one....usually this happens at rap concerts.

how did that cop get there so quick?

the situation must been brewing for awhile before this guy went berserk.

another tragedy :shake:

9. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

Wow, what a shame. I really liked Pantera and I've listened to their stuff for over a decade. Darrell definitely had his own sound and style. Doesn't somebody on this forum work at a studio with Darrell's father?

10. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

more from CNN

11. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

I just did a search through the forums and I was right, it's Yesman (Jamie) who works for Darrell and Vinnie's dad. I'm sure he'll comment on this tragedy.

I found another article from Blabbermouth.net:

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Absolutely appalling and senseless.

13. vibes

vibes Forum Resident

Dimebag Darrell of Pantera, Damageplan RIP

I don't know if any of you are Pantera or Damageplan fans, but Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed as he performed with Damageplan last night. Vinnie Paul, the band's drummer (also formerly of Pantera, and Dimebag's brother) is rumored to have been shot and killed as well, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. Pantera was one of my favorite bands in high school, so this comes as a major shock to me. RIP, Dimebag. :(

Gunman kills 4 at Ohio nightclub
    Police officer shoots suspect to death

Thursday, December 9, 2004 Posted: 6:53 AM EST (1153 GMT)

Police block the entrance to the nightclub after the shooting.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A gunman stormed the stage during a heavy metal concert Wednesday night, firing on members of the band and the audience, killing four people -- including at least one band member -- and wounding at least two others before a police officer shot and killed him, according to Columbus police.

Before he was shot, police said, the gunman grabbed a hostage and fired into the crowd as he held on to the person. It was not clear what happened to the hostage.

The attack happened shortly after the band, Damageplan, began its performance at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on Columbus' north end.

The gunman was "targeting members in the band," Sgt. Brent Mull said.

One of the wounded is in critical condition, and the other is hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Two others were injured in the incident and treated at the scene, although the nature of their injuries was not clear.

According to eyewitness accounts, the gunman initially shot the band's guitarist, Dimebag Darrell.

Darrell, 38, and his brother, Vinnie Paul, 40, formed Damageplan after Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s -- broke up last year. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Police were notified of the shooting around 10:18 p.m. ET, Mull said. A uniformed police officer who was near the scene slipped into the venue from a back entrance, confronted the gunman during the rampage and killed him.

"If not for the officer who showed up, there would have been more dead," Mull said.

Witnesses described the shooter as a heavyset man, wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey jersey.

Police roped off a huge area of the nightclub's parking lot, as 60 detectives questioned hundreds of witnesses. Police brought in buses to keep the witnesses warm as they waited to be questioned.

Calvin Bota said he saw the shooting from the mosh pit right in front of the stage, shortly after the band began playing.

"Somebody came -- I don't know where they came from, out of the audience or whatnot -- but they come onto (the) stage and ... he shot the guitarist at first, fired a couple of other shots and then he hid behind the stage a little bit," Bota told CNN affiliate WSYX.

"Everybody started scattering, you know, there's mayhem everywhere. And then a police officer came into the building, you know, came in professional with his gun raised and then he proceeded to shoot the guy."

Gerald Caudill said the gunman shot the guitarist at least four times.

"I was up close to the stage and I just saw some guy run up on the side of the stage and I heard some shots and I saw (drummer) Vinnie (Paul) fall and somebody jumped on top of Vinnie, and the guy just stayed around the stage and started shooting other people," Caudill said.

"I saw wounded people all over the place, out in the parking lot, inside," he said. "It just didn't sound like gunshots or anything, it didn't occur to me that something like that was happening."

CNN Producer Steve Brusk in Columbus contributed to this report.

14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I am shocked. I can't believe this.

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

After I was thinking about John Lennon the other day, I wondered when someone would cross the line and try something like this. Totally sick........

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

A terrible tradgedy.

Dimebag was a very talented guy. No one deserves this type of senseless violence. :(

17. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

Funny you should say that! I was at a rap concert at this same venue early last month. :eek:

18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

What a senseless tragedy.

19. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Terrible news.

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

De La Soul?

This is really crazy. I'm awaiting some of my co-workers (we're all drummers... I work at a drum shop) to see if any of them went to the show last night. There are some Vinnie Paul fans here, that's for sure.

This is really, really terrible. I want to know what made this guy do this stuff...

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

One of my co-workers just drove by the club. He said it was still roped off and police, news, and medical workers were still there.

Another co-worker heard that another member of the band has died, but it might just be a rumor.

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Details are still very sketchy. It seems unclear whether or not Darrell's brother Vinnie Paul was also shot. The Pantera website currently says "Dimebag and Vinnie shot", but it and the news reports I've seen give no details about his condition.

23. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I know that the facts aren't in yet. However, it looks to me like this guy had it in for the band. One of my roommates is a major Pantera fan. I don't be the one to break the news to him.

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

This is from the Columbus Dispatch.

http://columbusdispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2004/12/09/20041209-A1-00.html

25. I have never heard of an audience member assassinating a performer on stage at a rap concert, or any other concert for that matter. Bad stereotype, and wholly unnecessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.