Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I have't listened to the surround mix yet, don't know about the glitches. I have listened to the new hi rez stereo mix, three times!

:)

Wonderful. Not quite the revelation that Aqualung was but still very nice!

2. oshfr

oshfr Forum Resident

Thanks all for identifying the glitches in this. What a disappointment. Sending mine back tomorrow unopened.

Tull remasters, reissues, repackaging is over for me.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm leaving my order in to see what happens.

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I assume the glitches mentioned here are universal i.e., they're on domestic and foreign pressings, yes?

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

6. tullist

tullist Forum Resident

Pretty sure Ian Anderson is going to be really pissed about this. He says he does not listen to his own music,(except when they are re learning things) or much music at all. I believe he is normally all over anything with his name on it, possibly he extended some leeway (where did that word ever come from)given this Porcupine guy's rep, as he has fairly steadily been on the road during its preparation, but not really any more so than normal.

7. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I listened to the flat transfer last night. This is the best I've heard the original mix sound. It's quite similar to the Reprise vinyl, and it almost makes up for the surround mess. This is my "go to" version from now on.

8. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

Really now? Over a few glitches that probably have NOTHING to do with Steven Wilson?

You guys are something else.

9. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

The glitches are annoying and shouldn't be there. I think I'll keep the set, however, because I like the flat transfer of the original stereo mix very much. As others have stated, I don't care for the new mixes much at all. They're just too bright and there is a harshness to them that makes me want to turn them down. That goes for both the 5.1 and stereo versions. This is the first release where I've really been disappointed in Wilson's work. But that new 24/96 stereo transfer of the '72 version if very good and almost makes the price of the set worthwhile.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I appreciate all the reports and reviews.

11. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Drums buried in the mix! Are you kidding?

I'm hearing things I've never heard before

12. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Understandable. I've nothing negative to say about the flat transfer of the original mix, except for the clipped ending.

13. tootull

The glitches are mostly centre channel problems. NOTHING TO DO with Steven Wilson, for sure.

I'm hearing things I've never heard before, for sure.

14. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

For those waiting on the vinyl or thinking about it, this is a nice set. My vinyl is flat & labels centered. Still need time to check it out a bit more but the book looks well done. Enjoying the remix,(although no where near a jump as the Aqualung vinyl remix),...The Ian Anderson's TAAB2 vinyl is gravy. Perfect timing for this as Fall and Winter seem to invite this music.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Something to appease somewhat the people who are understandably upset with how this reissue turned out:

I had a talk with Steven Wilson and he can confirm that the glitches are NOT on his mixes and that the painful cymbals and the general extreme brightness are a by-product of the mastering.

He will try to get EMI to re-press the DVD, which, as you can understand, is a bit of a logistical nightmare.

Stay tuned.

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Nice to know! Keep informing us! :wave:

17. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Hmmmm... how about using some QC and getting it right the first time???

18. Listened to the flat transfer original mix for the first time last night. It's a keeper. :thumbsup: As for the remix, in particular the high res, I listened to this again on the off chance that I might change my mind but I stand by my original asessment. Too bright. :thumbsdn:

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Let's just say that the mastering is absolutely not complimentary to Steven Wilson's mixes.

20. tullist

tullist Forum Resident

Where do get "you guys" out of what I wrote. Seems dead evident in my wording that I am referring to Ian Anderson's reaction to what he considers his ultimate work, with SFTW shortly behind. (Sorry folks, Passion Play would be somewhere toward the rear, and I think he's right) As you might have noticed, this guy is a type A perfectionist, where his work, live performances or morons are concerned, he can have a short fuse. I have not bought it but liked what I could hear when it was streamed, particularly as regards Barrie Barlow, but I did not think the original recording needed help, but of course if its something concerning Ian Anderson I am interested, but owning this can wait a little while longer.

21. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Initial impression of the vinyl is that the overall mix is brighter and louder than my UK first pressing. No surface noise, flat, etc. The drums do seem a bit less prominent to me. My UK pressing is a bit more subdued. I will need to compare more passages to determine my final views. Overall, it is just a slightly different mix; unlike others, I like having this new pressing notwithstanding these differences.

Unlike most here, I bought this in large part to have TAAB2 on vinyl. Main observation: TAAB 2 is not very loud because of the length of the album. This means the dynamics are not there as much as I hoped because of the length of the sides.

22. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

"You guys" was more toward everyone complaining (as usual) of how "bright" this is, which I guess I should expect.

But you have no idea what Mr. Anderson thinks of SW's job on this, and I think it's stupid to purport you might.

23. tootull

Thanks.

Great mix, 5.1 where at times the sound of psychedelic lives.

24. Yes, it is the mastering that is questionable not the mix.

25. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Well the question is how the are they going to recall this thing? It is not only the glitches that have the problem it is the Hi Rez mixes as well. I listened to the CD last night on my headphone rig and it sounded amazing! I don't know if it is the new remix or my new HI Fi Man headphones?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.