Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I ordered the cd/dvd set today. Really looking forward to the hi-rez stereo remix and the hirez flat transfer.

2. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

3. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

My copy is in the mail and my anticipation is tantalizing. I agree with you about side 2; it always gets me pumped up.

4. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

I got the CD/DVD version early today. Sounds great, especially the 5:1 mix. And the book is going to take a while to read. The only thing that bothers me is why did they release this as a standard DVD with just a DTS and Dolby Digital version instead of a high resolution DVD Audio? I just don't get that at all.

5. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Listening now. Sounds excellent.

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

vinyl?

mine still not sent by amazon.ca say:

thick:This title will be released on November 6, 2012.

I order the mellon collie, smashing... so they send both when mellon are released? I put the send me both in on shipping.

mellon: This title will be released on December 4, 2012.

7. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Nope - digital..

8. craig leonard

craig leonard Forum Resident

Possible Glitch?

Has anyone else noticed a few vocal glitches near the beginning of part 1? Right around the "spin me back down the years and the days of my youth" lyric some of the vocals seem clipped.

Might be a defective copy, but it does show up on the Dolby and DTS mixes on my DVD. Have tried it on several players, same results.

Hopefully it is just my copy, but wanted to check with others before returning it.

jim mallett likes this.
  9. scirica

scirica Forum Resident

I listened to the DVD in 5.1 one time through last night. Overall I believe Steven Wilson created an excellent mix for this album. I will listen to the 2 channel mixes tonight a little more critically, but overall I'm happy with the purchase.

The book has some great flasbacks to the 71/72 tours, and of course the original newspaper text is always entertaining.

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I really hope I'll have my copy this week. I'll post a review comparing A/B with the 25th Anniversary edition (which I don't like at all)

:cheers:

11. Is it the US version or the UK version? The 25th ann. CD had the UK version, with the Chrysalis deal story replacing the "Reprise Boss in Hotel Theft" one.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I don't get it, either.

13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I got to take the pick of the litter of our classroom rabbits in my high school biology class, a very fine hare indeed ! I named it after the professor and the rabbit in one of the little comic images from that newspaper. *Found it !

Panglos ! :)

[​IMG]

14. scirica

scirica Forum Resident

This is the 40th Anniversary Set release of November 6, 2012.

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Interesting. To me, side 2 always felt rather like a rehash of themes that had already been developed in the first part, a bit redundant. But it's been a while since I listened to it, so maybe I'll feel differently now.

16. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

I'm confused about this. I've seen a number of complaints about the lack of high res. Every product description I've seen says the DVD has both the original mix and the new mix in 96/24. Is that not the case? Or is it the lack of 5.1 high res?

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Many prog long epics approach the compositions in a classical way, that's with themes that are repeated (sometimes in a different key) to give the piece a cohesion, rather like a suite

'Close To The Edge' and 'Supper's Ready' are 2 examples

:cheers:

18. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Also called, "theme & variation," in music-speak.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I understand that. I'm no stranger to extended prog epics, reprises, theme and variation, etc. and I enjoy the compositional unity that these mechanisms can bring to the larger piece. I just felt that, more than most, part 2 of TaaB relied too heavily on rehashing old themes without introducing enough new ideas into the mix. I very much enjoy the first half, but I always find myself losing interest by the end. I've actually been holding off on revisiting this one in anticipation of the new mix, so maybe I'll feel differently now.

20. rd1

rd1 Forum Resident

Steven did a great mix on the 5.1,
    the DTS 96/24 sounds wonderful and the visuals are excellent.

The menu isn't hard to navigate if you don't want to use a monitor,
    insert disc, let menu load,
    press right arrow 3 times for audio and hit enter, down arrow once for new stereo mix 96/24,
    twice for original 1972 stereo mix flat transfer (96/24),
    thrice for DTS 5.1 surround 96/24,
    and 4 times for Dolby AC3 5.1 surround.

Very good package for the money.

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think the first part of side 2 where it all gets abstract is absolutely excellent, wouldn't want to live without it....the second half, I agree, could have been trimmed, to say the least...maybe if 10 minutes was shaved it would have been perfect...but I like it anyway, as it is...

22. I know. I was asking about which version of the newspaper is included in this new set, the US or the UK newspaper (such as the one included with the 25th anniversary set). A couple of the stories are entirely different topics.

23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Hey thanks for this - I have my player setup without a monitor, so this will save me some time. :righton:

24. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Hello,
    This is very confusing, allot of earlier posts are complaining about how the 5.1 mix is DTS and Dolby D. You are saying that the DTS is 96/24? This is good news.

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That is good news. I thought folks were saying that it was standard DTS. That's what I was responding to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.