Beatles Remasters on Vinyl, part 3, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Johnson, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I would guess the same TG mastering desks were used that are usually used at Abbey Road.

2. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

What is an analog file?

3. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

Whenever I see a "remaster" or "reissue" released on CD, I always see an increase of the older CDs used in used record stores regardless of which is better. That's just how it happens. I've seen an increase in Beatles vinyl and at fair prices in used record stores since the 2009 remasters.

4. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

That was carryover from the comment I edited. I fixed it above - it was referring to the output of the mastering chain, not an analog file.

5. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

If they used an old console with no robotics, then the second, high resolution pass would have to be made from memory/notes (echoes of mono/stereo mixes).

Is that feasible?

6. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Yes, although I doubt they did much in the way of on-the-fly analog. Most likely, they used the analog eq for overall tone work and any surgical stuff for specific bits were done digitally prior to sending to the analog stuff.

7. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

That would make a lot of sense.

Let's hope Fremer manages to find out all the details.

8. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Gimme a break! We've had those records for 40-50 years! The only real major Beatle event I can think of is a complete remixing of the catalog plus outtakes (or a "complete Beatles tapes straight from the Abbey Road tape library" special via iTunes). A Hard Day's Night on vinyl in 2012 is nothing new or major.

9. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Err - the Dylan Mono box set from Sony was all analog, from the original masters. I think that is what we were hoping for - but no-one really expected it. But yes, Sony has shown that it is possible.

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Best LP packaging, IMO :agree:

1. Acoustic Sounds
    2. Soundstage Direct
    3. Elusive Disc
    4. Music Direct

11. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

The basic assumption here is that the remasters are an improvement over the original tapes in their current state.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Most of you never had the pleasure of listening to the original analog mixes. They sound wonderful (well, better than anything out there). Every Single Mastering Version Of The Songs Has Been "MASTERED" In A Way TO Make Them Sound DIFFERENT, Edgy, more treble, more midrange fakery.

It's a damn shame. Thread the tape up on a valve playback machine, cut a lacquer without using compression, limiting or weird EQ, press and release.

That's what is needed. Will never happen. Ever.

Those of you who've heard my lectures had heard the master tape copy of I'M SO TIRED. That's what the stuff CAN sound like if they just left it alone. Breathtaking.

Rant over.

13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I am now sad.

14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Very important stuff here. :righton:

15. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

midrange fakery

:laugh:

16. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Can live with what I have, but darn!

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

18. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Past Masters?

What is the opinion of the experts regarding Past Masters. Looks like a nice compilation. Is this an opportunity to get a good version of this release?

Thanks,
    John

19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

See my response above in #184.

EMI doesn't own a vinyl pressing plant to dedicate to worldwide Beatles production. Heck, EMI doesn't own EMI any more!

It would not be *one* master it would entail multiple copies of masters jetted around the world to various private pressing plants, when in a time and age of digital files, is not fiscally sound.

20. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

See my response above in #184.

EMI doesn't own a vinyl pressing plant to dedicate to worldwide Beatles production.

Heck, EMI doesn't own EMI any more!

It would not be *one* master it would entail multiple copies of masters jetted around the world to various private pressing plants, when in a time and age of digital files, is not fiscally sound.

You also have to remember, the *BULK* of the record buying public ostensibly wants something that sounds reasonably better than their hand-me-downs from parents and grandparents and is priced competitively.

The hardcore Beatles fan/collector is going to buy it either way, anyway, for their collection. Win-win for EMI...err, Universal/EMI.

21. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Do we know where these are being pressed?

22. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

I'd guess that most buyers of vinyl care beyond "reasonably better", specially if the bulk of the market is (and should be) pretty much satisfied with the remasters on CD.

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Anyone know why the Beatles' new vinyl has disappeared from Elusive Discs' website?

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Wow, it's not on the Music Direct site anymore either! :help::cry::shake:

25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Perhaps no one was suppose to list them until an official press release?

Funny, the other day I got an email about T-shirts from the Apple/ Beatles website/ store, but no mention of this vinyl re-issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.