Frank Zappa - Entire Catalogue Remastered and Reissued (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

There's a TINY bit of Cheepnis at the end of the itunes sample. Now I just need to find my %$#%$# CD.

2. Vivaldinization

No obvious sound problems on the "Them" samples, so it sounds like we've reverted to the pre-1989 iteration. Curious to see whether it'll sound different.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Late to the thread and having trouble finding about what folks think of Chungas Revenge remaster compared to the Ryko. Any comments would be great.

4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

So the iTunes versions are 'mastered for iTunes' versions? Taken from the current/forthcoming mixes with additional dynamics processing & EQ?

5. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I got Absolutely Free and Chunga's Revenge.

Compared CR with the '95 Ryko. The Ryko version sounded absolutely shrill and thin in comparison.

Was listening to AF in one ear and the wife was yappin' in another, then came "Invocation & Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin" which I always considered annoying being most familiar with the Ryko, but it sounded meaty and really nice and I found myself getting lost in it, to the chagrin of my wife. I really dig it now!

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For the minutiae-minded, one section of Zappa's solo in "I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth" is different on the ZINY CD compared to the ZINY LP (and Lather). Listening to the I-Tunes sample confirms that this different section is also in the reissue, another reason to suspect this is from the same digital master.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is still unclear what "mastered for iTunes" means, thanks to the technical gobbledygook we're being served by both the press and Apple.
    After recouping several articles and trying to make sense of them (journalists aren't sound engineers), I think it just means they're taking Hi-Res files (when available) instead of CDs, to encode their lossy files, for an ever so slight increase in quality.
    They aren't actually "re-remastering" them, so the iTunes files should represent what's on the CDs.

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I live in the Bay Area, and none of the stores near me had any of the new ones either. And that's like 10 stores or so.

So I just got the other 4 of the analog transfers from the first batch from Amazon.

:righton:

9. Vivaldinization

The samples on Joe's Garage are wayyyy bassier than I'm used to; as this album is due for a fresh digital transfer (the one used for all of the CDs is the "Digitally Remastered for Vinyl" version from early 1980s!), perhaps this is a new pass?

Cheepnis is the remix on Roxy, so that's probably the old digital master.

Apostrophe sounds like the vinyl mix, although it's tough to tell whether it's a new transfer.

Bongo is tough to tell; I'm going to wait for higher-quality samples.

10. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Yes, mostly all being bought, probably, by people who already had the records in the first place. Give us some stuff we don't have. i don't care if two seconds that was cut out on the edited version has been added, etc. I want a full Armadillo stadium show with the Capt., or jones Beach, 1984. Just my opinion.

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I picked up Freak Out! and We're Only In It For The Money after the guy from the store talked me into it. Wow, what strange music. I like it. Now I have to get his other 800 albums.

12. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes, you do.

L.

13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The iTunes samples sound much better than the Amazon UK samples. It's the analog master. I'm convinced.

14. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I just got this email regarding the re-issues.

MORE TIME TO FREAK OUT!

FRANK ZAPPA’S ENTIRE ORIGINAL CATALOG
    AVAILABLE ON iTUNES
    AUGUST 14

SO BEGINS FIRST LEGAL, AUTHORIZED DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION OF
    LEGENDARY COMPOSER’S MUSIC

For the first time ever, the entire original (from the Barking Pumpkin label) catalog of the music of legendary American composer FRANK ZAPPA will be available--legally and as authorized by the ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST--on iTunes. Sixty masters (comprising 56 albums) in the deal between the ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST and UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES are now available through iTunes.

The August 14 iTunes roll-out follows the physical release of the first 12 CDs as part of this UME deal. While the CDs have all been retransferred, 21 titles have been re-mastered for the re-launch, yes-and-but also including the iTunes releases; yes, that's right, for the digital distribution known as MFiT: Mastered For iTunes. Every single title will feature art and online content for each and every iTunes release. The list of both the physical CDs and iTunes releases available July 31 is below. Following the July 31 releases, another dozen physical CD recordings will be released each month for 5 months through November 2012.

“We are especially pleased to note the timing--that FZ was the first to bring Voter Registration to the concert hall and since 1971 when the 18-year old vote was passed he included the admonition to REGISTER & VOTE on every album he released. Well, his work is back the way he intended it and on each recording you will find his music, the source, the year of release and how old he was when he made it--and the simplest of nods to his love for the idea of Democracy,” says Gail Zappa. “Of course, as he also said, “Music is the Best!’”

Meanwhile back in Hollywood where dreams sometimes DO come true, Frank Zappa is back where he belongs--on Zappa Records--in the hands of the Zappa Family Trust--headed by Zappa’s widow Gail Zappa--the releases will honor the iconic legacy of the Composer, Guitarist, Bandleader, Filmmaker and Wit. ZAPPA was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997 (although the family would like to know where it is--does anyone have any information???). The official biography: Frank Zappa, American composer, fl. 1940-1993. The UME deal is for the entire Zappa Catalog as it appeared on Frank Zappa's own independent label, Barking Pumpkin Records. Many of the original analog masters have been re-mastered for this occasion. Yes that's right, you heard right.

The albums made available on iTunes July 31, released in chronological order:

1. Freak Out! (1966)
    2. Absolutely Free (1967)
    3. Lumpy Gravy (1967)
    4. We're Only In It For The Money (1968)
    5. Cruising With Ruben & The Jets (1968)
    6. Uncle Meat (1969)
    7. Hot Rats (1969)
    8. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (1970)
    9. Weasels Ripped My Flesh (1970)
    10. Chunga's Revenge (1970)
    11. Fillmore East, June 1971 (1971)
    12. Just Another Band From L.A. (1972)

The next CD titles for August, 2012:

1. Waka/Jawaka (1972)
    2. The Grand Wazoo (1972)
    3. Over-Nite Sensation (1973)
    4. Apostrophe(‘) (1974)
    5. Roxy & Elsewhere (1974)
    6. One Size Fits All (1975)
    7. Bongo Fury (1975)
    8. Zoot Allures (1976)
    9. Zappa In New York (1978)
    10. Studio Tan (1978)
    11. Sleep Dirt (1979)
    12. Sheik Yerbouti (1979)

The REMASTERED TITLES:

Absolutely Free
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Chunga's Revenge
    Fillmore East, June 1971
    Just Another Band From L.A.
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Over-nite Sensation
    Apostrophe(‘)
    One Size Fits All
    Bongo Fury
    Zoot Allures
    Studio Tan
    Sleep Dirt
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Joe's Garage Acts 1, 2 & 3
    Tinseltown Rebellion
    Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar
    You Are What You Is
    Them or Us

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm assuming this came directly from ZFT? It's worded awfully Gail-like.

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Saint Etienne - Shower Scene

16. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I had that question too. But no. These differences are due to much more than just the EQ differences between the two:

Ryko Magdalena:

[​IMG]

UMe 2012:

[​IMG]

The more I listen to the new one, the less I like it. There's no air. The dynamics suck, IMO. Now I'm nervous about the others that Ludwig has done.

This thread comes to mind when I compare the Ryko vs the UMe 2012:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=270362

17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Her PR Company.

18. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Great stuff. That's pretty much all the albums I hoped would get analogue remasters.:righton:

19. Bill Camarata

Bill Camarata Listening When Possible

To my ears, the new one sounds a lot truer to the original and in some ways improves. The present-day audio mathematician refuses to die, so to speak. I've never heard the bass so well.

But that's just my opinion. Glad this stuff is available again.

folkfreak likes this.
  20. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

I thought we all figured out that Hot Rats was among the remasters no?

21. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

It's not a new version - just a CD release of the vinyl remaster from 2008, if I remember correctly.

22. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Strange; perhaps Hot Rats isn't included in the list because the re-master was already done in 2008 (by Bernie Grundman) and it wasn't specifically remastered for the new release. Just a guess, of course.

23. Sander

Sander Senior Member

I see I'm not the only one who thinks this may be the reason why Hot Rats isn't listed as a remaster. :cheers:

24. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I'm sticking with my FZ approved Ryko masters.

25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

FZ may have approved them, but that doesn't stop them from being mostly crap :wave:

I don't know why anyone would prefer the old CD of "Absolutely Free" versus the new remaster. It's THAT much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.