Billboard Vinyl Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drifter, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor Thread Starter

I have about eight Joel Whitburn Billboard "Top Rock 'n' Roll Hits" & "Top R&B Hits" compilations on vinyl (from 1988-1989) that I think sound amazing and full of energy and life (although some tracks are a bit too 'bright'). They all say:

Audio Remastering: Bill Inglot
    Disc Cutting: Ken Perry/K-Disc

Anyone else own any of these?
    Opinions on the discs or the people involved?
    How do the cds compare?

Thanks.

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

From the same masters, from the few that I have. Very good to excellent sound. Not perfect, though--one volume has a dreadful rerecording of "The Twist"--but, overall, I think you can buy with confidence.

:ed:

3. Drifter

I just listened to a stereo mix of The Box Tops "The Letter" (from the 1967 Top Rock 'n' Roll Hits disc) that was pretty much missing the oohs at the end of the song when it does the key change. :sigh: Most tracks are pretty good sounding though. There's the occasional bad stereo mix where they should have used the mono instead, but I suppose it's possible they didn't have access to a good mono mix of those songs.

I'm surprised that they had a re-recording of "The Twist"! All the discs I have are the original performances, but as I say there's the occasional poor stereo mix.

4. Ed Bishop

For that series, Billy Inglot went with stereo, mainly...which made the BSN crowd happy, until he decided to become a heretic and drag out those lovely mono tapes....:love:...which made me and others happy, but not them, alas.

As for "The Twist"...one of Rhino's people up and licensed the song, but didn't know--until Bill clued them in, I'm sure! :D--that there was no way the Parkway original could be licensed for CD/vinyl/tape(still true today, though Klein has always licensed stuff for films, just not their respective soundtrack albums). So they had to use what is likely a K-Tel rerecording...whatever it was, it was crap, but too late to do anything about it....

5. Drifter

Forgive my ignorance but what is the "BSN crowd"?

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever heard a compilation with Chubby Checker's original Parkway recording on it. I prefer Hank Ballard's version actually :love: but Checker's Parkway's version is good too. :agree:

6. Ed Bishop

Both Sides Now...serious stereo collectors. So am I, but I'm also a serious mono collector....I take collecting seriously, ya know...:D

So do I, and Little Walter found the stereo master to that one, I think, and stuck it on a Collectables comp that's a killer!

The original Chubby "Twist" is easy enough to find on vinyl comps, reissue 45's, etc. etc., but like almost all C/P stuff, no go for legit CD's, but illegit, well....it's out there!

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I think the majority of them sound quite good. When I first started mobile DJing in the 80's, those Rhino comps were often the best sounding versions of classic oldies you could find at the time. Especially after playing those Oldies But Goodies LP's on Original Sound. One of my faves was the 1963 Top Rock And Roll Hits comp. I still think it has one of the best sounding masterings of The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" heard anywhere.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It made me angry when I read the small print promising that the songs sounded just as when first released, only to find that they really weren't because of this. The hit versions were usually dedicatedly mixed to mono. Grrrrrrr!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.