New Lynyrd Skynyrd album "Last of a Dyin’ Breed" , 5.1 & DVD news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Thus my question to this fine group of folk. Thank you for confirming for me.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Or I could just read all about Elliot online, add that to what I already knew, look at the artwork front and back (Amazon Marketplace Gouger), then go ahead and finally order to have it shipped. $15 inc. sales tax. :thumbsup:

3. My Walmart didnt have it. Had them check the back. No dice. Kinda pissed me off.

4. Myke

If you check online, they tell you if there's a copy within a 20 mile radius of your home. If not (like me), I just ordered online to be shipped. $15.00 inc. shipping & sales tax.

5. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I had a chance to listen to this last night. Sound is not too bad. I compared the first song on the CD "Sweet Home Alabama" to the Audio Fidelity Gold HDCD and The SHM SACD and they were all three pretty close in volume level and clarity. Didn't have time to compare the rest of the CD songs to anything. Then I anxiously put in the DVD-Audio because I can't do surround on my system and it didn't say anything about 2-Channel Stereo just the 5.1 Surround but it does have 5.1 and 2-Channel DVD-Audio. Listening to the 2-Channel it was loud but clear. I never knew there were bongo's in "Gimme Three Steps"! But I havn't listened to that song in a long time. Unfortunately when It got to Freebird something was off. Its a re-mix. Not a real good one either, why mess with a classic? Packaging folds out to a double gatefold with some nice pictures but you have to work to get the disks out kind of like the Beatles stereo remaster packaging or Those Essential 3.0 Cardboard sleeves which I hate. Too tight. But for $11.88 I'm good with it.

6. Myke

Yes, the bongos have been there since 1973. :laugh:

Wish you had a surround setup, since that's the only reason I'm rebuying the other 2 discs. But thanks for your review. :thumbsup:

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Got this today and finally just got finished listening to it.

First off CD 1 is mastered by Doug Schwartz. He mastered the Skynyrd remasters and it sounds about the same as those. Not bad but there are better alternatives.

Disc 2 is the same as the DVD in the Deluxe edition of Gimmie Back my Bullets. A nice/short show from 1975. Sound is in PCM stereo only. Sounds pretty good.

Disc 3 is mastered by Bob Ludwig. All songs are in 24bit/96khz in surround and stereo. All of the surround mixes are done by Elliot S. He also mixed the Freebird stereo mix on this set because it is the full complete version (does not fade out like on the first album). Everything else in stereo is original mixes as far as I can tell.

First off the surround mixes are amazing. Elliot S. shows why he is the master (Steve Wilson is a close second for me). Fully discrete and highly aggressive while fitting the music perfectly. These are cream of the crop mixes for surround Skynyrd fans. Highly recommended and I wish the entire catalog could be done like this.

For high res stereo only guys the mastering is OK. The eq is good but along with most of Ludwig's recent masterings has too much compression/dynamic range reduction.

In short get it if you want the surround mixes and/or live DVD.

8. Myke

This is so exciting. Glad I finally ordered after 15 hours of being cynical yesterday.

Funny thing, Ed King himself swore no one would *ever* spend the money and time to do remixes for surround.
    I even left his forum / board after being berated by the Administrator for " typing 5.1 too much." The entire concept of Skynyrd in surround to them was " ridiculous."

Well... :laugh: Thank you very much for your review.

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Question for anyone that already has this little sucker: what's the region code of the DVD-A? (I don't care about the DVD-V 'cause I already have it)

I just might have to snatch it from AmazonUSA.

10. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thank you for the surround review, sold!

11. Myke

12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It's region free.

13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Can't believe this came out of nowhere. Elliot S. might win another Grammy for this.

14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

ALRIGHT!! :goodie:

15. Myke

Won't Wal Mart ship to you ? Those on Amazon are being sold by scalpers, at a higher price.

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Good question! I've never bought from them before.

17. Myke

It's EXCLUSIVE to their store, and $11.88 US before taxes, and shipping.

18. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Straight from Walmart's website:

The Walmart.com website only ships orders to addresses within the 50 states, APO / FPO military addresses, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana...

So until I can get down to the states I'm **** out of luck.

19. Myke

Place a WTB in our classifieds...bet you get a bite !

20. Myke

Holy Crap. Wal Mart just shipped...for $1.97, I'm getting Fed Ex ?????

I'm going to have to stop making fun of Wal Mart. :shrug:

21. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

22. nightflight75

nightflight75 Forum Resident

Holy Crap, this sounds GREAT in surround!!!:righton:

23. FEELINGALRIGHT

FEELINGALRIGHT Forum Lollygagger

walmart.com shows this as out of stock....could these be gone already?

24. Myke

Maybe...maybe, depending on how many were pressed vs. orders and sales from walk-ins.

Sure would make this old Pre Plane Crash Ronnie's Band fan Proud ! :agree:

Out Of Stock ONLINE = you'll have to check the stores for a copy now.

25. quattroatl

quattroatl Forum Resident

Found my copy today behind Madonna cd's, so look hard!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.