Mobile Fidelity Announces Bob Dylan and Miles Davis Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadcoldfish, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The Billy Joel albums are not the best recordings to begin with. I listened to the Glass Houses SACD this morning. It's good. Not a stunner in an absolute sense, but it's good.

2. KeithH

Now I'm listening to the MFSL Milestones SACD, and I am very pleased with it. It has a very nice, balanced sound. Good drums and bass. This is a very good disc.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I do understand that there were differences when you compared the various discs, but your review gave me the impression that you found the mastering of the CCAC version too hot and a bit harsh on its own, regardless of those differences, that's why I responded the way I did.

4. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

That was my impression too, Keith, but as I stated above I could only compare it to the 2001 redbook remaster and only on my secondary (i.e. HT) system as my main SACD player is in the shop. Mike's comments, though, compelled me to order the 2007 stereo SACD, which I had not been aware of previously. Most likely, I think its going to come down to personal preference when it comes to comparing SACD versions rather than a stark black-and-white winner/loser dichotomy. I'm looking forward to doing the comparisons. It may just come down to whether one prefers to hear this in mono or stereo. So, in responding to a previous comment, I'm not sure we can speak of having "issues" with the new MFSL yet. Maybe some listeners do, but I haven't seen much that speaks to this in this thread (in fact, one other poster noted that he preferred the new MFSL to one of the Sony stereo SACD versions).

This album is such a great work that I want to personally find out what sounds best to these ears, the main objective in ordering the second SACD.

5. KeithH

I haven't listened to the 2007 SACD in awhile and should do that. Still, the mono SACD is an enjoyable listen.

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Did you compare to the AF?

7. Norm Apter

Now that these are coming out, I wish there were separate threads for the Dylan and Miles releases. As such, I haven't waded through all of the old posts here, but I do have a question on the Dylan side of things.

First, have any of the Dylan MoFi SACDs (not vinyl) been released yet, especially any titles that already have previous SACD versions (i.e. not The Basement Tapes). If so, I'm wondering if anybody has done any comparisons any of the MoFis and the 2003/04 Sony SACD releases?

Second, and in particular, I'm wondering what forum members think of Dylan's 2003 hybrid SACD, Blood on the Tracks, and if any of you guys who already own that have put in a pre-order for the yet-to-be-released MoFi SACD of this title?

I have the Mono Box plus some SACDs from the early (i.e. pre motorcycle accident) phase of his career, including Blonde on Blonde, Bringing it All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited, and thus I don't plan to pick up overlapping MoFi titles. However, Blood on the Tracks is a different story as it of course was not included in the Mono Box. I have the hybrid SACD which I can only say that I found to be a big improvement over the old original Columbia redbook CD which I thought was very lackluster and muffled. So my judgement is simply based on relativity.

In short, my question for those of you who have hybrid SACD and perhaps familiar with vinyl or how well (or poorly) the album was recorded, do you think there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to another digital release, namely the upcoming MoFi SACD?

8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Although opinions have varied, I personally find most of the Sony Dylan SACDs to be mastered too brightly. I do in general like a darker sound, so I am hoping that the MFSL SACDs will be mastered more naturally and with less treble.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I also have the original SACD of "Blood on the Tracks" and it did bring clarity to what was a somewhat muddy album. I also have a Japanese CD Sony Records SRCS 6167 and I prefer the SACD.

10. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

So fork this thread into the two separate ones, and include links in a post here. Then ask a moderator to close this thread. I think that's a good idea to have them separate.

11. Norm Apter

Any other opinions on this? In particular, any opposition to two separate threads (one for each artist)?

If there's support I don't mind asking a mod to fork them into two separate threads. What do you guys think?

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Two separate threads would be better. Besides, Davis and Dylan don't have much in common ;)

13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Yes, I've been confused reading some of the talk here... one page we're on Miles, the next we're on Dylan but sometimes it's not readily apparent.

14. Norm Apter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.